[Youtube] Multiplayer Playthrough

Post about Let's plays and streams.
-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[Youtube] Multiplayer Playthrough

Post by -root »

Hi Everyone,

Just announcing a new multiplayer playthrough of Factorio, featuring yours truly and Oninaig.

-Root's Playlist
Oni's Playlist
The first couple of episodes have been a bunch of fun. We're looking forward to this one.

EDIT: Just added a link to Oni's YouTube channel and also Oni's playlist for the series :)
EDIT2: This series will be best watched from the playlist as it will automatically search down the next episode for you.
Last edited by -root on Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:02 am, edited 4 times in total.

Oninaig
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [Youtube] Multiplayer Playthrough

Post by Oninaig »

Awww yeah. This playthrough has been a blast so far :D. I am looking forward to see if we can keep up the pace and not get overrun too early :P. Hey at least this version has tanks right! Right? >.>

Both myself and Root will be posting the first few episodes over the next week or so.

A quick note: The first 9 episodes will be from Root's POV only. After that we will both post our own POV as normal.

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

Oninaig wrote:A quick note: The first 9 episodes will be from Root's POV only. After that we will both post our own POV as normal.
To explain a little, Oni had some audio issues and his footage from the first 9 is unusable. After this, we'll each be posting every single episode to our own channels.

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

Episode 2 is live

And so the fun begins :D

Marbles
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Marbles »

I don't believe killing biters raises evolution levels. It does make place for new biters to spawn though, so if you kill a biter base filled with small biters and the evolution factor is high, medium or big biters might take their place.

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

Episode 3 is live!

Fun, fun, fun.

Also,
Marbles wrote:I don't believe killing biters raises evolution levels. It does make place for new biters to spawn though, so if you kill a biter base filled with small biters and the evolution factor is high, medium or big biters might take their place.
The second bit I agree with. The first, I'm not sure??? Can anyone say definitively what raises the evolution factory?

I know it increases gradually overtime. I thought that killing biters and killing biter nests also gave it a boost...

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

Base evolution rate is 10 hours to medium biters, 10 hours more to large biters.

Killing a spawner is +10 minutes of evolution.

Feeding pollution to a spawner gives bonus evolution. You need 44 spawners in your pollution cloud to double the evolution rate. Polluted spawners also make biters that you have to kill, so indirectly killing biters correlates to increased evolution.

Oninaig
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Oninaig »

I get the feeling we are going to be producing a LOT of pollution....AWWW YEAH

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

DaveMcW wrote:Base evolution rate is 10 hours to medium biters, 10 hours more to large biters.

Killing a spawner is +10 minutes of evolution.

Feeding pollution to a spawner gives bonus evolution. You need 44 spawners in your pollution cloud to double the evolution rate. Polluted spawners also make biters that you have to kill, so indirectly killing biters correlates to increased evolution.
TL:DR? We're going to be in the doo-doo very shortly.

Thanks for the info Dave. Very helpful.

Marbles
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Marbles »

In the latest vid (3) you say that 16 steel furnaces will fill a yellow transport belt.
16 steel furnaces have a capacity of 32 items/second, divided by the production time of an iron plate is 32/3.5=9.14 items/second.
According to this page a yellow transport belt has a throughput of about 12 items/second.

Maybe it doesn't quite work out practically, but theoretically you should be able to increase the furnace count to 21, but that is only if you actually use all the iron on the belt faster than it can provide. :geek:

You did get the science pack ratio right though :D

I do quite like the dynamic between you and Oni, it's hilarious hearing him trying to make the right decisions :P

Oh and Oni, you can do the science lab thing with 2 belts if you pack red and green on one belt and blue and purple on the other, utilizing both sides of the belt like this:

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

Marbles wrote:In the latest vid (3) you say that 16 steel furnaces will fill a yellow transport belt.
16 steel furnaces have a capacity of 32 items/second, divided by the production time of an iron plate is 32/3.5=9.14 items/second.
According to this page a yellow transport belt has a throughput of about 12 items/second.

Maybe it doesn't quite work out practically, but theoretically you should be able to increase the furnace count to 21, but that is only if you actually use all the iron on the belt faster than it can provide. :geek:
See, this I didn't know. You are right, theoretically we're missing approximately 3 items per second for complete compression. Thanks for looking it up and working it out.

In practice though, it seems that the inserters won't put items down in these gaps as then end up being just a little spaced out on the belt. I think in previous factories i've had larger smelting lines and my "effective" line has only been 8 per side for a yellow belt.

Marbles
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Marbles »

Yeah, same in my experience. Also, with the buffer in place, and overproduction of iron plates, this won't be a problem anyway.

Blackence
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blackence »

When I *really* want to fill a yellow belt, I just use red belts at the furnaces where inserters have difficulties finding a free spot on the iron plate belt. This will enlarge gaps between iron plates and inserters can drop their items. Then switch to yellow belt again where no more inserters try to drop stuff, and it should be 100% packed if the furnace output is sufficient.

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

Blackence wrote:When I *really* want to fill a yellow belt, I just use red belts at the furnaces where inserters have difficulties finding a free spot on the iron plate belt. This will enlarge gaps between iron plates and inserters can drop their items. Then switch to yellow belt again where no more inserters try to drop stuff, and it should be 100% packed if the furnace output is sufficient.
This would work too.

Also,

Episode 4 is now live!

Oninaig
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Oninaig »

Marbles wrote:In the latest vid (3) you say that 16 steel furnaces will fill a yellow transport belt.

You did get the science pack ratio right though :D

I do quite like the dynamic between you and Oni, it's hilarious hearing him trying to make the right decisions :P

Oh and Oni, you can do the science lab thing with 2 belts if you pack red and green on one belt and blue and purple on the other, utilizing both sides of the belt like this:
You know, Root would say that Dytech has spoiled me since the first thought that came to my mind when I saw that image was "Sure, if I use close inserters for blue/purple and regular for green/red".... >.>

I'm glad you like the dynamic. I'll be the first to admit that I am not a professional (I do know a good amount, but I have root make sure that what I am doing makes the most sense at times lol).

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

Episode 9 is up!

From now on we'll be posting our own viewpoints. We sorted out the audio issues and we'll be posting our own videos every single day :D

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

Episode 10 is up

From now on, we'll be going from our own points of view :D

Oninaig
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Oninaig »

Episode 10 (Oni's POV)

Root and I are going to post in the same thread for updates instead of moving my POV to a whole new thread. :D

Return to “Videos”