[Youtube] SpeedRun!

Post about Let's plays and streams.
-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[Youtube] SpeedRun!

Post by -root »

Hey everyone,

So this is my first attempt at a speedrun. I haven't ever had a crack at it before so i'm recording and documenting how I go.

the first video is live here:

Episode 1

and here is the playlist

Playlist

I'd love hints and tips. I'm aiming for a sub 10hr time. Not sure how i'm going to go though!

Dutts
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [Youtube] SpeedRun!

Post by Dutts »

Watched the first video.
Others not ready yet.
The spawn you ended up with is awesome, worth the time to get it IMO. Not too many trees, some water but not too much, a few huge deposits and a few smaller ones for satellite mining.
Would love to play that spawn.

Good luck.
The red lab or the blue lab?

HeilTec
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by HeilTec »

I have not seen any speedruns of factorio yet. No one has made any let's play videos of this kind.
(Please direct me if I'm wrong.)

I tend to use much too much time on details to be able to finish this game fast. I actually like to play methodically and take the time to try thinking ahead. Excepting a few temporary initial constructions I try to avoid needing to tear down large parts of the factory. This almost always fails. :lol:

Looking forward to see how you will handle this challenge.
Google is my friend. Searching the forum and the wiki is always a first.

jeroon
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jeroon »

I was thinking of using your worlds seed string to try the same map. I'm not sure if it still works like this, but before, you could not use a seed string from a previous version, and.. 3 hours after your first ep comes out, there's a new version :D

Could you share your seed please, see if I get the same map?

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

@Heiltec & @Dutts, thanks for the well wishes.
jeroon wrote:ICould you share your seed please, see if I get the same map?
No worries. Will do.

The second episode is up for those that missed it. From here, it will be 1 per day.

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

Good luck. Looking forward to see how you fare.

On a more technical note - there is a low hum whenever you speak (more noticeable if the volume is turned up). Maybe look into where it is coming from? it is quite annoying :(

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

I think I've worked out that is my computer grinding and clunking away... I'm endeavouring to fix all of this.

Blackence
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blackence »

I tried this once. Turns out I can't do speedruns because I optimize unimportant things all the time, and then watch my builds for a long time to find out if everything is optimized :D. It took me 18 hours (no peace mode, just default settings… So I had to build walls/lasers and connect nearby mining outposts).

I am interested to see how fast you can do it :) Since you asked for comments… Maybe limited chests that collect iron/copper plates (like the belt chest you already have) could speed up the plate collection process you have to go through repeatedly.

Also, I wonder if you're not overbuilding things. The red science pack factory is.. interesting. But why not simply place 1 gear factory, then add copper to the other side of the gear belt and a line of 5-10 science pack factories next to it? Pretty much like the Hydra Dilemma red science factory. Seems faster to build, easier to extend, and has higher throughput. :D So 0:3 for the speedrun build IMO.

The green circuits factory looks better, but I'm not sure why you do all that splitter work. Is it to make sure that input is evenly distributed between copper wire assemblers? If there's not enough copper coming in, some of the copper wire machines idle. With splitters they idle in a round-robin fashion, without splitters it's always the same assemblers idling… Since they all do the same work, it shouldn't matter. You still get exactly the same resource output from your factory as long as input to different assembly lines is balanced using splitters.

For a speedrun, I think it's important to stick to easy builds. Not quick and dirty, but quick and clean. If it works, is easy to extend and easy to build, then it's perfect for a speedrun IMO. So most of the time just plain and simple "input belt line, assembly machines line, output belt line" – like your smelting setups.

HeilTec
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by HeilTec »

This series inspired to try it out with slightly different settings.
The major change is not to use peaceful. All frequencies at minimum, all sizes and riches at max (including enemies).
Although settings are harder (?) it may help to compare with these two saves at 1 and 2 hours play.

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

So i've been soldiering away with the speed run series. I'm now up to episode 7!

Links
Episode 2
Episode 3
Episode 4
Episode 5
Episode 6
Episode 7

If you're keen to stay up to date with the series, please consider subscribing on youtube. That way you'll be the first to know. I generally only post on the forums when I remember (i'm pretty forgetful like that :D ).

Xecutor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xecutor »

What is the reason to put splitters on transport belt that is feeding two chemical plants that are producing sulfuric acid?
If, for some reason, you won't be able to provide enough iron to feed both, it doesn't really matter which one will produce acid, production rate won't change.

HeilTec
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by HeilTec »

Watching Episode 8 @ 4m3s hearing you say: "I have no reference", makes it clear that my previous post was of no help.
That makes me a bit sad. :(
I will continue my speedrun on my own.

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

HeilTec wrote:Watching Episode 8 @ 4m3s hearing you say: "I have no reference", makes it clear that my previous post was of no help.
That makes me a bit sad. :(
I will continue my speedrun on my own.
I kinda got excited a little while back. I already have recorded 20 odd episodes. I started playing one night and got through about 3 hours. The very next night I was like "I'll just play one episode and get *this* sorted". Nek minnit it was midnight.

So the research I'm doing right now won't pop up for a bit. Maybe too late to have an effect. However it does give a pretty pure idea of how I would do it. I'm thinking this will be a pretty crappy time and i'll have plenty to improve upon!

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

So, uh, special announcement. I have just finished my speedrun :mrgreen:

Playlist

However, it won't be up for a couple of days. You'll have to tune in and see how it goes down.
Here's a spoiler: I beat 10 hours :mrgreen:

Marbles
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Marbles »

Oh man your latest episode is awfully genius :P

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

Marbles wrote:Oh man your latest episode is awfully genius :P

I had fun and learnt a lot in the process. The very last video will be up in 13hrs so you get to see how it all ends :)

Inarion
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Inarion »

Hey -root,

could it be possible that your speedrun's playlist is somehow messed up? I left it open in my browser to always see when a new video goes live and were wondering why you abandoned that project.
Only to incidentally come by this thread to see that you had already finished it. :D
(To explain what I mean: The last videos in the playlist are Ep. 22 and 21 - in that order ;) - and thus it's missing the last 5(?) videos.)

Anyways, I'm eager to see how it all played out. Will start to catch up on you once I get home. :)

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

It was definitely messed up. The last five videos hadn't added.

rant/

I'm pretty over how dumb youtube is. It is very labour intensive to do anything. I've just gone through and readded those videos and put them into the right order (because youtube is too dumb to equate a video with 23 in the title with video 23 in a playlist)

/rant

I feel better now. Enjoy the videos. Episode 26 is hilarious.

Inarion
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Inarion »

Thanks for fixing that playlist. :)

That biter attack actually came somewhat unexpected (I had assumed that peaceful mode would overwrite/precede the triggered attacks...). Nice run, in any case!

Return to “Videos”