The Hydra Dilemma - A Coop Factorio Playthrough!

Post about Let's plays and streams.
-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: The Hydra Dilemma - A Coop Factorio Playthrough!

Post by -root »

Its been a bad day

Not my best day in factorio.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

You do realize this is factorio right? Unless its overbuilt, its not acceptable. :mrgreen:

zlosynus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by zlosynus »

Actually this setup with splitters is doing something different than the setup with smart chests in the video. If one of the factories is not producing, then it belts gets full and then all robotic pieces would go only to the other factory. The setup in the video always produces robots in the ration 3:1 (or at least it should be). Btw. there is a much simpler solution how to do this, only using four smart inserters and two chests (and two types of wires). You can see how to do it in my very old thread: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... ?f=8&t=298

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

zlosynus wrote:If one of the factories is not producing, then it belts gets full and then all robotic pieces would go only to the other factory.
It would take over 24 hours of not producing, for a steel chest to get full of flying robot frames.

FKODgaming
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by FKODgaming »

Episode 21 Live now!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6nbflZ ... e=youtu.be

Filling in for FishSandwich

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

DaveMcW wrote:
zlosynus wrote:If one of the factories is not producing, then it belts gets full and then all robotic pieces would go only to the other factory.
It would take over 24 hours of not producing, for a steel chest to get full of flying robot frames.
The ratio would still be incorrect however as you have all those frames just waitin' for the factory to come back online.

I think your solution is valid and the easiest way of doing it.

But mine's still cooler :P

JoshLittle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by JoshLittle »

-root wrote:But mine's still cooler :P
Cooler is what works :P

The frames take forever to build. It is never false to have some stacks in that output. And then the easiest way for a practical limitation of robots is to limit the output-chest of each robottype to one stack. If you need some of a certain type you grap this stack and because the frames are already made it doesn't take too long to build up the stack of robots again.

I don't see any practical reason to have a fixed ratio of the robottypes and I don't see to a way to select a proper ratio for the future needings. If I would transport my iron and copper plates with robots like Fish does, I would need a much bigger number of logistic robots and any ratio would be crap. So it depends massively on the playstyle. And without being mean: At least in the coop there is no playstyle :mrgreen:
If your belt feels too long, your wall is just too short :mrgreen:

JoshLittle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by JoshLittle »

FKODgaming wrote:Episode 21 Live now!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6nbflZ ... e=youtu.be
Filling in for FishSandwich
You should really NOT fill in for Fish. Luckily there was no prank from -root this time, but if or better when there will be, I think even Fish will have some trouble to get out. If you fill in, you only will ruin your own episode and the amusement for the viewers ;)

@all: Here you see why it is a bad idea to use solid fuel. Use coal for the boilers and use both oils to only crack into gas (and some lubricant - but these two tanks can perhaps already be enough). The plastic is already short even if the production that depends on gas hasn't really began yet.

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

Well my episode is recorded but won't be up until tomorrow I think. Cause I think Fish's comes out today? Lol
Anyway, let me just say, that whoever set up that crazy system with wires and wood in smart chests for the robots needs to be hit in the head with a board. I spent like 8 or 9 minutes trying to figure out how it worked, and couldn't... Definitely not my best episode so far.. :p at least I got something done.
Will be interested to go back and watch the previous videos though. Hehe
Image Image Image

Xecutor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xecutor »

Hydra is known for an ability to grow two new heads instead of cut one.
In your case each solved problem creates two new ones :)

JoshLittle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by JoshLittle »

What? You recorded an episode (depending on the 21? 20?) and want to wait till Fish posts an episode depending on ...? Also 21? 20? Or your not published 22?
The order is broken for now, but don't make a big chaos of it. Fish has to do 24 and then 26 again and everything will be fine again.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

JoshLittle wrote:You should really NOT fill in for Fish. Luckily there was no prank from -root this time, but if or better when there will be, I think even Fish will have some trouble to get out. If you fill in, you only will ruin your own episode and the amusement for the viewers ;)
Please don't give him a hard time, he did a good job of filling in for me at short notice, considering it wasn't his day and he had other things he needed to do. If he didn't make the video then there would have been no video yesterday as no-one else was able to do it in time. Also, I'm completely confident in his abilities and I'm sure he would've been able to get himself out of any prank -root left.
JoshLittle wrote:What? You recorded an episode (depending on the 21? 20?) and want to wait till Fish posts an episode depending on ...? Also 21? 20? Or your not published 22?
The order is broken for now, but don't make a big chaos of it. Fish has to do 24 and then 26 again and everything will be fine again.
No need to overcomplicate it, my video comes out in a few hours time, followed by Xterminator then -root and then back to me. After that the order goes back to normal.

JoshLittle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by JoshLittle »

So you do 22 and Xecutor 23? Ok then you have some kind of order back.

I thought you would grab the chance to prank -root in 24 to his 25 ;)

DerivePi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DerivePi »

I think this will work as a fixed ratio input for the two robot productions.

L1 (local circuit 1) is tied to a smart chest in a toggle switch setup
L2 is tied to the smart chest in front of the logistic bot assembler (LOGBOT)
L3 is tied to the smart chest in front of the construction bot assembler (CONBOT)
L4 is tied to both of the previous smart chests with the other color wire

On the LOGBOT side, the first inserter will operate until the LOGBOT chest has 3 robot bodies in it.
On the CONBOT side, the first inserter will operate until the CONBOT chest has 1 body in it.
Once their are 4 robot bodies in the combined chests, the toggle switch will engage (I usually use wood or standard ammo) stopping the first inserters from operating and starting the second set of inserters which load the bodies into the assemblers.
Once both BOT chests have been emptied, the toggle switch disengages and the system starts over.
Last edited by DerivePi on Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

Here you go guys, my video is up.

Gawd, Why Have I Done This?! - Factorio - The Hydra Dilemma #22

Next video will be on Xterminator's channel.

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

Xterminator wrote:Anyway, let me just say, that whoever set up that crazy system with wires and wood in smart chests for the robots needs to be hit in the head with a board.
:lol: :mrgreen: :lol:

Oh, and its my turn tonight :D

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

Oh god... Help me! I think next time someone sets something crazy like that up,, I will just ignore it and build my own version somewhere else. :D nothing like having a spare right? :lol:
Image Image Image

JoshLittle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by JoshLittle »

FishSandwich wrote:Here you go guys, my video is up.
Good to see you inserting the iron from the buttom. With some remaining corners to get fast, it could get a full belt someday. Your sixth inserter does it on the side you didn't intent to, but it doesn't matter.
I think the four refinery are good and enough. The greater issue will be to find enoug crude oil for them.

JoshLittle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by JoshLittle »

@Episode 23:
You really wasted more time rambling about it than to discover what it means. So when you first didn't know if you are allowed to change something, why didn't you just put in an additional (fast) inserter and an outserter? That would be about 1 min or so ;)

Return to “Videos”