[SOLVED] Unable to play multiplayer ... very frustrating

Arrange meetings with other people to play MP, announce your servers.
Piranha
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Unable to play multiplayer ... very frustrating

Post by Piranha »

yay smart people are here! lets get this guy gaming!

As a side note I had to portforward for factorio today, because evolve was terribly laggy.. so just a heads up there..

Triblade
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Triblade »

Edit: I'm fairly new to this forum and didn't notice that there where multiple pages... Please regard any double statements below...

Three things are important:

1) We don't know what setup/hardware you've got at home and which provider you have. It it becoming rapidly more standard to incorporate a firewall in your internet modem (the box between the big bad internet and your home pc). So a very annoying answer of me would be to read the instruction manual of that device/your provider to setup a forwarding port from the internet to your computer. I do know this is an annoying answer, but it's the one I have to give, there is no other one. Sorry.
2) Please make sure the IP address you gave your friend is your internet IP address and not the internal computer IP address. Think of it as the area code of a country or your home. You could give the country code, but your friend gets nowhere fast. Go to the website http://www.whatismyip.com and that's the number you're looking for.
3) The Factorio devs promised a very crude mp experience in this alpha. So do remember to go easy on everyone if it isn't consumer friendly yet!

Please note that this is a indie developer who probably doesn't have the cash (and probably didn't made any promise) ór has the means to setup a multiplayer broker server for the whole world, so port forwarding is probs going to be the way to go. You way want to read up on port forwarding.

P.S. I intended this post as informational, please don't read it as an attack or something. English isn't my native language.

sybrgreen
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by sybrgreen »

Triblade wrote: 1) We don't know what setup/hardware you've got at home and which provider you have. It it becoming rapidly more standard to incorporate a firewall in your internet modem (the box between the big bad internet and your home pc). So a very annoying answer of me would be to read the instruction manual of that device/your provider to setup a forwarding port from the internet to your computer. I do know this is an annoying answer, but it's the one I have to give, there is no other one. Sorry.
Hardware = change nothing. Our pc are brand news, good working on fat new games (farcry/battlefield friendly computer).
For the manual of the box, its the same problems, i dont understand their informations and i dont want to know more about it ,and its HUGE book.
Triblade wrote: 2) Please make sure the IP address you gave your friend is your internet IP address and not the internal computer IP address. Think of it as the area code of a country or your home. You could give the country code, but your friend gets nowhere fast. Go to the website http://www.whatismyip.com and that's the number you're looking for.
.... Im forced to use english, so i look like a fucking retard child of 8 years old. I have 24 years old, I have Some "knowledge" in computer, but to be SHORT and to avoid some computers-crack explaining me things UN-understandable, it was more easy to tell " im noob , im noob, i know nothing ". But of course I know how to find my REAL Ip, I know how to use google,etc etc etc...

I have the BASIC standard knowledge , and I dont want to loose a SECOND of lifetime to know more about that useless things "Dhcp" "nat" "wppp" "XD WTF OMFG ROFL.0" ... seriously.... I know IP , I know router is a kind of "shit thing" which protect ur box, and thats all. So consider that we don't do such stupid mistakes lol, we are not so stupid (but we are !! :p).
Triblade wrote: 3) The Factorio devs promised a very crude mp experience in this alpha. So do remember to go easy on everyone if it isn't consumer friendly yet!
I have NOTHINNNNNNNNNNNG against factorio !! I love this game i want to make sex with this game. And its more FRUSTRATING !!! The factorio MP seem to work VERY GOOD with EVERYBODY on internet, except my friend.
Thats why Im totally angry/bored/suicidal/what the fucked. Because i see lot of videos of people playing MP, include young kevins who are CERTAINLY NOT computer cracks... and thats make me so so so frustrated.

Triblade wrote: P.S. I intended this post as informational, please don't read it as an attack or something. English isn't my native language.
Hehe don't worry, its same for me , im french and I don't want to take time to writte PERFECTLY, its already good that we are "submitted" to learn this language...

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

jockeril wrote: 1. are you both in the same country ? - where is that ? YES - FRANCE
2. are you both in the same city ? - where is that ? NO - SEPARATED BY 700 KM (434mi 1689.3yd)
3. If you know - what kind of connection are you both using - cable or telephone line ? PHONE LINE (problem is from my friend, not me)
4. are there any other services using the Internet connection like television or phone line ? Phone line + Television
5. what is the make and model of your router (both of you) - please try to be precise so I can best help you = My modem no problem, modem of my friend is : INFORMATION WILL COME IN FEW MINUTES/HOURS

One more thing - I think your friend should take part in this conversation ( if he can understand english) = He is very bad in english, more than me. And even bad'er in computer.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
SHiRKiT wrote:Well the devs have implemented NAT punchtrough, and if your router has UpNp enabled, you should be able to play the game without a single knowledge of anything. Now if it doesn't, then here's the steps you need to do:

- Open your router/modem settings (typically 192.168.0.1)
- Login
- Go somewhere that says something about: Virtual Servers, Port Forward or similar
- Add a new "Rule" (or similar word)

- In the local ip, you should put your computer's IP address, in remote IP you should leave blank or put *, in local port you should put 34197, and the same on remote port. In protocol you should select Both or at least UDP.

HERE THE PROBLEM. In port forwarding (i have and "ADD button") : I dont have all this option, i have only :
Name (for the name rule), Protocole ( UDP/TCP,UDP,TCP), Type (Port), External port (Factorio port), Destination IP (?????), Destination PORT (Factorio port?). And thats all. NO LOCAL IP.
The destination IP have a problem : My friend can select his computer IP and thats all. He cant modify the numbers ALREADY writted on the "space" meant for that. There is : 192.168.1. PUT WHAT U WANT HERE. I cant remove (192.168.1).
Why ? Why such difference ?

So im blocked here.
I tried with UDP/TCP , UDP only. And for Port i tried with both port (external and destination port).. and for the destination ip : ip of my friend. Its dont work.

- Now save the rule
- Now if your router has more than one device connected (like a wireless router that phones connect in as well), you need an additional step.
- Search in the menu of the router for, under the DHCP settings, Address Reservation (or similar)
- Now add a new "Rule"
- If your router lists all the devices connected to your network, choose your computer. If not, you probably need to fill two fields: IP Address and MAC Address.
- In the IP Address, you should put your computer address, and in MAC Address, you should put the adapter's MAC address
- Save the rule
- Reboot the modem/router

How to get the IP Address and MAC Address
1. Follow this tutorial: http://www.wikihow.com/Find-the-MAC-Add ... r-Computer You can get your IPv4 and MAC over there. = OMFG............................. THE LENGTH OF THE TUTORIAL :o :cry: !!!!!!!

Well The second way look much easier, so why such differences between the tutorial and your method ? Anyway the control panel of the box give the MAC ADRESS.

UPDATE : when adding to "DHCP" the IP and MAC , then reboot box : My friend is no more able to connect to internet. The box stop work . He was forced to go back to control panel, remove NAT and remove DHCP to have the connexion working again.

2. Or try this one
- Open the Execute in windows (Windows Key+R)
- Type 'cmd' (without quotes) and press enter
- Type ipconfig
- Now search for the adapter you are using. This means that if you are connect through wifi, you should look under the name Wireless Lan Adapter (or similar). If you are using a blue cable, you should look for Ethernet Adapter.
- Search those until you find one that has a valid number in the IPv4 Address field. It should be something like 192.168.X.X (this will be your computer's IP address in the local network).
- To find the MAC Address, type in 'ipconfig /all' (without quotes), search for the same adapter you searched in the step above. Now, search for the "Physical Address" information (that is your MAC address)

With this, if you can't play the game, then the issue is somewhere else.

InflatableBeerTent wrote:I typically have the most luck with TeamViewer. TV is not really designed for this, but it does have a VPN Addon that you can install along with TV. The most I've had to do was disable the built-in Windows firewall. If you're getting access denied trying to disable your firewall, you're not an administrator. You're going to need additional help that's beyond the scope of getting a videogame to run.

TeamViewer's pretty easy to use, both of you should install the main program. You'll both get an ID, and a password. The person establishing the connection needs to ensure that VPN is selected, input their partner's ID, and it'll then prompt for a 4 digit password. (This pass changes every time.) TeamViewer will assign both people their own IP, so one person hosts, and the other person connects to the "partner IP" that TeamViewer provides them. I've only done this once with Factorio. A little choppy, wonky, but otherwise, it seemed to go fine.

It's primary obvious downside is that TV is for technical support with one person. So, your little pipe is just that, it's a 1-to-1 ticket. I haven't tried to connect to more than one person. Because of the nature of TV, Might not be the best move to use this program with someone you've never met. Teamviewer gives both partners a lot of access to eachother's PC's, so a lot of trust is needed. Playing with your brother, or best friend, however... I never had problems. :3
Thanks you but sorry im bored of downloading NEW software again, subscribe on website again, give my email for spam AGAIN... stop . Evolve/Hamachi should work !!! But thanks you anyway :)

THANKS YOU ALL FOR HELPING ME , ITS GIVE ME HOPE AND AVOID ME TO DESTRUCT KEYBOARD AND WALL ....... THE PROBLEM IS STILL THERE BUT MAYBE WE WILL FIND A WAY SOMEDAY
Last edited by sybrgreen on Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sybrgreen
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by sybrgreen »

PROBLEM SOLVED :

My friend told me he had "error messag" during instalation of the game few days ago... then i had an idea...

Uninstalling game > re-installing .... Working now...

Ashamed ............................... :oops:

In fact the problem was from the game installation.... So now we are playing multiplayer together !!!!!!!!!

Now the new problem is "lag", my friend have total flow/smooth, and me im laggy lol... A problem solved, a new challenge appear !

But im happy to reached this step of being able to play MP xD

THANKS YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP AND PATIENCE !!!

If you have some tips about lag/desync problems, Im interested.

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [SOLVED] Unable to play multiplayer ... very frustrating

Post by SHiRKiT »

Well, glad you solved it! As said, the devs have something called NAT punchthrough, and if your router has UpNp enabled, you should be fine (basically all residential routers from 2012 beyond have this).

jockeril
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jockeril »

sybrgreen wrote:PROBLEM SOLVED :

My friend told me he had "error messag" during instalation of the game few days ago... then i had an idea...

Uninstalling game > re-installing .... Working now...
:idea: This is how we all learn... :geek:
Ashamed ............................... :oops:

Don't be ! It's not your fault ! just don't take it out on your keyboard :lol:
In fact the problem was from the game installation.... So now we are playing multiplayer together !!!!!!!!!

That's good to read :Thumbs-up:
Now the new problem is "lag", my friend have total flow/smooth, and me im laggy lol... A problem solved, a new challenge appear !
Factorio is all about solving a problem and getting another one instead... :) not really (more like moving on to the next), It's so fun that when you finaly look away from the screen you find you'v been sitting on it for hours !

THANKS YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP AND PATIENCE !!!
Again - your welcome. This is what makes a community... I'm new here myself. look at when I'v joined the forums - a couple of days after buying the game !
Triblade wrote:
P.S. I intended this post as informational, please don't read it as an attack or something. English isn't my native language.

Hehe don't worry, its same for me , im french and I don't want to take time to writte PERFECTLY, its already good that we are "submitted" to learn this language...
english is just the one language that became the common way for people to communicate and It's good that you to know it. My native language is also not english but I'm glad I know it because it enabled me to meet and know others on-line (and in Real Life) and help and get help on the internet and the world.
[request] RTL support please

My mods

Formally Hebrew translator for FARL & EvoGUI mods

join me on
- Twitter[@jockeril],
- Twitch.tv/jockeril,
- Youtube/jocker-il (or JoCKeR-iL)
- and steam !

Piranha
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [SOLVED] Unable to play multiplayer ... very frustrating

Post by Piranha »

Lag will always be an issue, but for whoever hosts the game they get to set the latency, it's default is 99ms but usually that is to low unless you are close to eachother.. I normally play at around 140-160 with a guy from the UK.

If you are using evolve or hamachi, or a similar program, you can ping each other and find out what your latency time is between the two of you, then add 20-30 to the average and you should be playing a lot smoother.

And no matter what you do a big base will always lag, there are a few things to help like less belts and more robots doing the work but it's all just a matter of how much is going on in the game.

Good luck and glad to hear you guys can enjoy the game together!

Return to “Multiplayer”