Standalone Windows server ???

Arrange meetings with other people to play MP, announce your servers.
McDodge34
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Standalone Windows server ???

Post by McDodge34 »

I'm about to purchase the game but I want to be 100% sure I can run a standalone Windows server for multiplayer, if its not possible yet on Windows, I'll wait to purchase the game when this is possible, I plan to play the game with my brother but we won't always be online at the same time, and if I need or he needs to run the server, we're screwed up, I'm not always online when he will be and vice-versa so the server must be always online so we can play when we want and not have to wait on the other to be online.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Standalone Windows server ???

Post by FishSandwich »

There's no standalone server right now, on any platform.

hoho
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hoho »

With current network model standalone server doesn't really make much sense. You could just leave your factorio running 24/7 if you want to, though.

McDodge34
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by McDodge34 »

How much ram and resources the game will require if I decide to let it run all the time on the server machine, will the player associated with the server die or something since he wouldn't be playing at all and we would only use it to host the server.

Other option here : Can we both play on the same map with me hosting the server and he doesn't need to be online when I play, that could be an option, but if he's going to loose all of his progress because he's not playing, I'm not 100$ sure.

Any good tutorials that are up to date and start from the very basic for noobs guide.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

McDodge34 wrote:How much ram and resources the game will require if I decide to let it run all the time on the server machine, will the player associated with the server die or something since he wouldn't be playing at all and we would only use it to host the server.
Minimum specs are on the site, it shouldn't be any higher than that.
McDodge34 wrote:Other option here : Can we both play on the same map with me hosting the server and he doesn't need to be online when I play, that could be an option, but if he's going to loose all of his progress because he's not playing, I'm not 100$ sure.
Yes you can. Everything is saved in the map so nobody will lose anything if they leave/rejoin/etc.
McDodge34 wrote:Any good tutorials that are up to date and start from the very basic for noobs guide.
For the game or for online play? If the game, look at root's tutorials.

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SHiRKiT »

Can we somehow don't load the graphics library? I know there's an option to set the graphics very low (minimal resources), but would be cool to totally disable the graphics library.

McDodge34
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by McDodge34 »

Tried to look at roots tutorial and I don't understand anything he says at all, I need more basic tutorials than him, I'm a noob and never ever played the game and he seems to assume I know some basic stuff from the start, this is a real challenge in every game I'v started, most of the tutorials seems to assume the player already knows a bit about the game, each time I need to look for hours to find a real tutorial that starts from scratch at the start menu showing up everything we need to know, is there any tutorials built in the alpha version of the game, I think its time for me to purchase it to discover what it has to offer first, but I'm worried cause a lot of games in alpha stage don't offer any kind of tutorials or guides or anything, looks like different for Factorio judging by the forums and youtube series easy to find.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

The early levels of the campaign is like a basic tutorial, I don't know if you can access that from the demo though.

McDodge34
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by McDodge34 »

I just purchased the game finally, will have to figure out stuff, you said the campaign would help, I usually prefer the free play to figure out stuff but if you say campaign will show me the basic stuff, I'll take a look at it, already figured out that we can output stuff from the mining drill to a stone furnace or to a chest, but doesn't seem like the stone furnace output anything to a chest nearby, guess I need to learn the automation part, also research doesn't seem to work, guess I'm such a noob, I really need a good tutorial on this, but I'm quite sure I'll figure this out pretty soon.

Piranha
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Piranha »

The demo should be enough to teach you the basics.. or the campaign now that you own the game (good job buying it :) definitely worth the purchase)..

If you are still lost there are a ton of youtube videos where people play the game to almost the end if not all the way to rocket defense. Although many will argue that rocket defense isn't anything special and that building your own factory the way you want and setting goals for yourself is the way to go.

Here is a good series to watch that isn't very efficient but shows how to build production for pretty much everything in the game..
Youtube "Main Bus" Series: Zisteau

Other Notable Youtube people that play Factorio off the top of my head are:
Arumba
FishSandwich
Negative Root

There is also a section that is for showing off your builds to others called "Show your Creations", in that section there is a "Video Section" where people showcase their own youtube series.
Give them a check and find one's you like then watch them play through the game. It will help you with understanding the stuff later in the game but going at it yourself is the only way you will truly learn.

Good Luck and Have Fun!

McDodge34
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by McDodge34 »

Thanks for the links, I'll gladly take a look, but what I'm concerned is some of the videos seems to use an old version of Factorio, is it still worth watching the serie or things have changed so much in the latest 10.12 that I need to make sure to watch a serie about 10.12, if its like modded Minecraft, any stuff related to old versions of mods are nearly useless for the newest versions of them cause the modders changed everything (not for every mod but for a lot of them)

And now another worry, my brother plays on his laptop from late 2012, that machine isn't extremely top of the line (not a gaming laptop at all) I know its AMD A10 something CPU with 8GB of RAM, and he has some kind of ATI Mobility Radeon on it, I'm not sure it has 512MB of dedicated video memory, do we just hit a wall and I should tell him to test the demo to see if it runs or he can safely purchase the game.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

The basic mechanics of the game haven't changed much since 0.10, you can still get a pretty good idea of how to play from his tutorials.

If you're worried about whether your brother can play on his laptop, let him install your copy of the game and see if it works. If it does then you can get him to buy the game.

Piranha
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Piranha »

AS fish said the game is pretty much the same.. The concept has always been the same since the early days.. Mine raw material, smelt it into plates, use plates to make the basic materials, use plates + basic materials to make complex materials, go big or go home.... or small and compact, whichever you prefer :P

If you are really wanting the multiplayer aspect I suggest turning on experimental updates in the options, this will make you go from 10.12 (the last "stable" version) to 11.17 (the most recent "experimental" version) meaning there may be a couple bugs here or there but you already have the improvements that have been made along the way.

11.17 can't be that far from stable now so it should be pretty safe (at least in my eyes) and will be leaps and bounds better for multiplayer experience.

McDodge34
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by McDodge34 »

I was worried I didn't purchase a good enough package because I didn't have the Multiplayer button, but just found out I needed to upgrade to a Experimental build, I play with Alpha games a lot recently so I'm used to them crashing. lost everything, have to restart after each update (mainly with 7DTD) so I guess we'll see if this one is stable enough, now I just need to figure out what do I need to save to make a backup of my progress, I know the game has an autosave system, but since my Windows and games are on a SSD that I will never trust (long story short, I had major problems with SSD so I never trust them anymore for real important infos and game saves)

Piranha
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Piranha »

Game saves are pretty good for not corrupting, maybe every 10 hours create a backup file for your sanity but it usually shouldn't be needed.. almost every version update the maps are compatible and you can continue your factory without the need to start over..

In the options menu you can set the auto save intervals.. from 1 min to 1 hour (or something similar, its a big range).. they save with 3 backups so autosave1, autosave2, autosave3.. these are nice if you aren't paying attention and your base gets destroyed you can go back a few minutes and set up a quick defense to protect yourself then continue on.. although if your autosaves are short (say 2 mins) and you take say 10 mins to respond you may only be able to go back as far as the middle of the attack.. etc.. I'm sure you understand how games and autosaving works..

And don't let anyone tell you what's right or wrong, some people play if they die once they start a new map.. others use autosave every 30 mins to shave seconds off their build time to see how fast they can "beat the game"..

Play the game the way you want to and set your own goals, you'll have much more fun that way.

Also, post your first factory/science/oil set-up in the show your creations thread and ask for advice, it's a good way to showcase how you went about tackling the game before learning all the typical tricks you will see in some bases from people who have been around a while.

Once you know a little and are feeling really adventurous check out this post to find people to play with:
Evolve

McDodge34
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by McDodge34 »

I usually avoid setting up any goals at start, I start by nearly copying some of the bases I see online so I learn how everything works this way, then when I feel confident enough, I start with my own goals and ideas, the train system looks like a real awesome trick, will probably have a setup with mines at a location and main base somewhere else, this way if the mines are under attack, I can replace them and not loose every automation system I'll have at the main base. Will also probably play without the aliens at first, will get them to harder to find than a needle in a haystack so I learn everything then, after that, I'll probably start over with more challenge and see how hard they really are. I even wish there was a way to play without the aliens at first, that would save me a bunch of troubles I'm quite sure.

Return to “Multiplayer”