Community Funded Server

Arrange meetings with other people to play MP, announce your servers.
DoctorWho?
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Community Funded Server

Post by DoctorWho? »

I wanted to make a giant server (will be able to support ~10-15 people). However, I do not have the time, resources, or knowledge to do such a thing.

Is there any way we could do this as a community? Like make a kickstarter to fund a dedicated computer for this server, along with the upkeep, etc.? i know that the game probably can't take that many players at once in it's current state anyway, but the possibility makes my mind explode. We could have a factory that is a blend of everyone's play style, and that would be the perfect chaos. :mrgreen:

If anyone has any of the three things above, PLEASE comment. :D

Now that I am done with my rant, what do you think?

Edit: Fixed some minor mistakes.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Community Funded Server

Post by FishSandwich »

Well you already stated one problem, the game can't handle anywhere near 10 people let alone 15. 5 seems to be the maximum at the moment and you have to live really close to eachother.

Another problem is a headless server wouldn't work well for Factorio, because there is always problems happening (desyncs, freezeups etc) you need someone around that is hosting the game, to handle that stuff when it occurs.

Perhaps when 0.12 is here..

DoctorWho?
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by DoctorWho? »

FishSandwich wrote:Well you already stated one problem, the game can't handle anywhere near 10 people let alone 15. 5 seems to be the maximum at the moment and you have to live really close to eachother.

Another problem is a headless server wouldn't work well for Factorio, because there is always problems happening (desyncs, freezeups etc) you need someone around that is hosting the game, to handle that stuff when it occurs.

Perhaps when 0.12 is here..
Maybe, but just an idea for when it will work. :)

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

I agree with Fish. Too many problems right now for that to really work. :/ But multiplayer gets more stable and such, it could definitely be done I believe. I might be willing to have a go at it in the future once it is more plausible. I used to run a pretty successful Minecraft server, so I have a bit of experience with that kind of thing.
Image Image Image

Return to “Multiplayer”