Free multiplayer?

Arrange meetings with other people to play MP, announce your servers.
Z3R0MISTAKES
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Free multiplayer?

Post by Z3R0MISTAKES »

Dear,

Will I be able to host a dedicated multiplayer server myself for free after I have purchased the basic version of the game? Because I have a Raspberry pi and I don't do anything with it at the moment.

Greatings,
Wouter.

Phillip_Lynx
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Free multiplayer?

Post by Phillip_Lynx »

To this point, there is no dedicated Server. Multiplayer is done by Peer to Peer.

But you can start a 'Server' when you bought the basic game.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

What he said, no multiplayer server, just start game in multiplayer mode. Nothing more.

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by cube »

Z3R0MISTAKES wrote:Dear,

Will I be able to host a dedicated multiplayer server myself for free after I have purchased the basic version of the game? Because I have a Raspberry pi and I don't do anything with it at the moment.

Greatings,
Wouter.
As the others said -- there is no such thing as explicit servers in Factorio, you can keep one game running without a character if you want, but it's not a server.

Also, we don't have builds for ARM processors, so it won't run on raspbery pi. It wouldn't be strong enough to run Factorio anyway.

kyranzor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kyranzor »

yeah it would not have anywhere near enough RAM to run a Factorio server. And yeah, it's very hard to cross compile for ARM architecture when trying to support Linux environment.

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

Don't the top raspberry pi models have 512 or even 1024Megs of ram?
Sounds fine for the headless "server" mode to me

The PC binaries won't run on arm as said above of course
PS: Instead of cross-compiling you can emulate the target cpu and normal-compile :)

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

Well, the raspberry pi has something like 800 MHz and 1 (?) cpu core. Running Factorio on that doesn't sound that easy, fully impossible if you have to emulate it.
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

Gouada
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Gouada »

I think that a raspberry pic is powerful enough to run Factorio. I have a raspberry pi 2 that is overclocked at 1.1 gigaHertz with 1 gig of RAM. It even ran a minecraft server for 3 months straight!
No, I'm not a piece of cheese! :D

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

I don't think that a raspberry would be able to run Factorio, because it requires
(1) being built for ARM, which it currently isn't
(2) lots of dedicated video ram (512MB+), which the raspberry doesn't have

I only own a raspberry B (first generation) that has a max GPU allocation of 128MB.
I've heard that with the new raspberry 2 you can set the max GPU ram to 448 MB.

I don't think that a raspberry would have enough power (CPU+GPU) to successfully run Factorio, even on the lowest settings.
Also the developers would need to release a version compiled for ARM processors, but when there's no need for it they won't do that.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by cube »

0.12.0 has a dedicated sort-of-server option and lots of performance optimisations, so running on RasPi is starting to sound a little more realistic.... now only the ARM build is missing :-)

Anomoly2012
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Anomoly2012 »

Has anyone tested this further? I am trying to figure out a way to play MP with a friend from another state.. but i do not have access to the modem i use to do any changes like port forward..

I have used Ping test and it gave me a B+.
I have connected and played several MMO games through steam..

Does anyone have any options i could try? I am not looking to pay for anything, just want to be able to load up my save if any of my friends want to jump on and play..

Thanks for any help in this matter..

taiiat
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by taiiat »

Anomoly2012 wrote:but i do not have access to the modem i use to do any changes like port forward..

Does anyone have any options i could try? I am not looking to pay for anything, just want to be able to load up my save if any of my friends want to jump on and play..
tunneling VPN's are handy for those that are on networks they do not have control of (most common being students in Universities). they'll help you make connections to others in a P2P environment without needing to be able to adjust network settings to their correct state.

this is a good (generally free) option for people that find themselves having poor connectivity to others in a P2P environment.
in a Server hosted environment, the Server side generally does a lot of networking trickery to compensate for those that are on strange network setups. but in a P2P environment those conveniences do not exist.

Edit:
oh, pretty late response. :v

Return to “Multiplayer”