Some multiplayer server based questions.

Arrange meetings with other people to play MP, announce your servers.
Taurondir
Inserter
Inserter

Some multiplayer server based questions.

Post by Taurondir »

Weird questions, so bear with me.

A) For doing testing:

Can I simply launch Factorio on one machine on my LAN, then :
1) Connect another machine to that game, and just let it idle in-game?
2) Do I have to actually do things in-game on the second machine?
3) Do I actually have to run one machine as a headless server and then connect two machines to that?

Reason I'm asking is because I'm the process of setting up a custom scenario for me and 3 other mates, and the Mod list is getting rather extensive.

I have only so far done test (1) while gradually adding Mods, and have not so far had disconnections, only a handful of "having trouble connecting to server" for a few seconds here and there, but once again, LAN is faster then a net connection, and I'm not "actively" messing around on the map on more then once computer.

I DO check the Mods to see if they state "does not work in multiplayer" or simply "not tested in multiplayer", but as my so called "scenario" is a very long term game (because all my mates are hop-on hop-off dirty casuals) I'm trying to do my best to be as sure as possible before I start the ball rolling.

The basic idea of the scenario is using a real-world map, starting everyone in Australia, and putting a rocket silo in either Russia or central America, so they have to make their way there, while I - and they don't know this part - screw with them as Admin by controlling how hard Biters push back, as I'm adding extensive weaponry upgrades to their research tree. It's meant to be a LONG term game, mostly because we all have busy lives and can only play in short bursts here and there.

B) Can I (and how) would I be able to add structures to an ACTIVE map - for example, an "abandoned" fort with guns still running and stored ammunition that they could "discover" when they expand that far, and keep it hidden? To maintain the "fog of war" on the map would I simply have to connect as a player from another faction?

Feel free to tell me if I'm on the wrong track here, I'm still new at the game.

noliVe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Some multiplayer server based questions.

Post by noliVe »

first of all. yes thats possible

2 ways to do it :

1. create a headless server (LAN) connect with all clients to enjoy playing
2. create a multiplayer game (client) and connect there with all other players.

and to archive some more check out the mod : Spacebook ( PVP groups ) could help you with that

playing a scenario could be fun, mmo technics are what this game is lacking/missing so go and please upload your work!

Taurondir
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Some multiplayer server based questions.

Post by Taurondir »

I now have one mate with more time that is connecting remotely as well, so I have two PC's on my network and one remote player so I just add Mods in batches I know don't change anything essential (like the map itself or ore deposits etc) and everything is fine so far. Each "batch" gets tested for 2 days or so, then at the end I will add the more "complex" ones that are still unknowns and take it from there.

I'm currently just running a strip world 200 units high on the Frontier R2 Scenario. We are not playing "seriously", we are just plodding along testing things as needed; like for example, Belt Sorter Mod, and then putting 50 in staggered line each piping things back into themselves to see if the load or lag goes up drastically.

I have the server doing 24 save rotations at one hour intervals, so I can go back and see things a fair bit.

Return to “Multiplayer”