[EU] Tiny world - server + scenario

Arrange meetings with other people to play MP, announce your servers.
Daid
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[EU] Tiny world - server + scenario

Post by Daid »

Yesterday I started to run my own little server. Located in the EU (NL).

It can be found in the server browser (once that is back up) under the name "[EU] [NL] Tiny world x.y".
The server runs a custom scenario, where there is 1 island with unlimited resources, but very limited space. Any offensive tech is disabled, landfill is disabled. So the space challange is the main thing there.

Scenario details
Version 0.2
Download
  • Resources are unlimited, trees re-grow up to a certain amount.
  • No biters. Alien artifacts can be bought at the market for a steel furnace, electric engine and a processing unit.
  • No weapons. No bites means no need for weapons.
  • Custom island map with all the resources available.
Server details
Background: The reason for the "Tiny world" is that my server isn't very powerful, and this simply limits the machine requirements. My main laptop also has problems keeping up with any of the mega sized factories that are seen on most servers.

After a few hours of play yesterday, it looked like this:
We where building there with 4 people I think. Was good fun to space optimize everything. Didn't see any trolls, except for 1 guy that stole all the science packs and then left.

This morning, people clearly advanced more, and it looked like this:
Bots! Bots everywhere! Which pretty much leaves it as a waiting game for science now... as you could optimize the ratios a bit better. But most of the challange is gone now.

Up next?
Overall, for me, this has been a success so far. Even tough the game pretty much is "ended" now, unless a troll drops by and destroys the whole factory by making a car and driving into everything for a very long time.
The server runs fine, and seems to handle the load quite well. Working together in limited space is also fun. People seem to cooperate a whole lot better then I would have expected!
I could jump into the server and cheat it so that rocket silo tech is researched, that gives a tiny new challange, but that just requires a re-configuration of the bot network.

My ideas, for version 0.3 are:
  • Add a default research speed update to double the default research speed, and double the effect of the research speed upgrades as well. This reduces the amount of waiting on tech to be researched.
  • Reduce the oil output. Right now a single field is at 2000%, which mean a single field will produce 20 oil a second. So it can supply 10 refineries... small mistake here.
  • Disable the logistic-system tech. The robot run factory pretty much removes the need for space planning. While the current factory could use more labs (there are more then enough science packs) there is not much more to optimize.
  • Disable stone wall and laser research, this is useless in this scenario.
Future ideas:
  • Random map generator, right now the map is static drawn by hand.
  • Auto-reset the map when the rocket is launched.
  • Instead of making resources unlimited, make them respawn somewhere else when they have dried out. As is already done for trees. This requires that the factory is moved/re-ordered from time to time.
  • 2 (or more) islands, disconnected, but close enough to tunnel from one to the other. Players spawn randomly on one. Resources are distributed in unballanced. (can also be seen as a single island with a river trough it)

AboutTime
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [EU] Tiny world - server + scenario

Post by AboutTime »

Very interesting to see the progression of the base. Space as a valuable resource is an interesting idea, id love to explore it as well..

Im not sure moving ores would add to the fun, but rather pull away from it. I feel it would be a nuisance to rebuild the same mining system where your science production is currently positioned..

Thanks for sharing!

Daid
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Daid »

AboutTime wrote:Very interesting to see the progression of the base. Space as a valuable resource is an interesting idea, id love to explore it as well..
Feel free to jump in my server or use the scenario.
AboutTime wrote:Im not sure moving ores would add to the fun, but rather pull away from it. I feel it would be a nuisance to rebuild the same mining system where your science production is currently positioned..
Good point. That's why they are ideas :-) they might not work. Resources could also slowly migrate when you are mining them. But that's just another random wild idea.

Daid
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Daid »

Random island generator with a river is starting to function.

I selected these out of 4 tries, the generator right now can generate maps with only a single resource on one side and everything else on the other.

Yes, oil is missing...

It has 2 spawn points calculated, I still need to code it so that players are spawned alternatively on both sides.

AboutTime
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by AboutTime »

Just seeing these replies now.. Very cool world generation! I would love to give this a try for a few hours some day in the future!

Arizona
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Arizona »

What's the benefit of playing with such a limited world?

Return to “Multiplayer”