RSO/Bob+angels

Arrange meetings with other people to play MP, announce your servers.
judos
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: RSO/Hardcrafting/Marathon

Post by judos »

I would want to request the mod: Sticky Notes

https://mods.factorio.com/mods/binbinhfr/StickyNotes

If we actually build the smart train system with circuits to request items etc, it would be very helpful to label combinators and circuits. It's also useful for everything else of course ;)

Zoomtag
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Zoomtag »

Stickynotes added!

judos
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by judos »

Awesome! :)

Since we had some issues yesterday keeping our base running I would like to propose a few build notes:

- Before building a new setup please make sure to keep old setup running until the new factory part is fully functional
- If you plan to build a big setup, please check that an atomic subpart of it is running before copy+pasting tilable part with blueprints

Yesterday and today morning we managed to get the new circuit factory running, but for next time I would like to prevent deadlock situations like
"We can't finish the setup because our base is missing resources AND our base is missing resources because the new setup isn't finished" ;)

Thanks to everyone for helping building the new setup or keeping the base alive :)

judos
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by judos »

Hey Zoomtag,

The server is awesome but now it starts to lag quite a lot :/ Can you check whether the server is maybe running out of memory with the autosaves, or try to restart the server?
Would be cool if we can actually send a rocket on this marathon map.

Meanwhile I try to reduce the amount of entities by removing many belts and older stuff...

Cheers,judos

Zoomtag
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Zoomtag »

Updated the server to 0.14.16 fyi guys

Zoomtag
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Zoomtag »

Zoomtag
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Zoomtag »

Updated to 0.14.17

Zoomtag
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Zoomtag »

Hey guys!

Late yesterday it felt to me like this map is kinda done... What else could we do? Launch a rocket? Sure.. Reach follower count 20 and waste all biters from the planet surface? Sure.. but It ultimately comes down to waiting a bit longer or increasing green circuit / minute production which would only imo impact server performance even worse.. We've kinda reached the point where we're fighting against UPS more than anything and that's where I usually call it and restart a new map...

Lessons I've learned this game:
1. Marathon (and maybe hardcrafting to a lesser extent) is kinda bad for server performance. While these mods give a great early game experience, they kinda bring us closer and faster to that endgame performance UPS wall.
2. Too complex setups can hurt the social,multiplayer&fun aspect of the game. Whether it's just a few smart pump logic, a few combinators, a train dispatch or huge rail systems that take days to build, if its too complex, it's hard to understand / maintain / improve / extend by any other player than the original creator. I'm not saying we dont want complex stuff.. I like complex stuff.. But I'm trying to say that if complexity is not necessary, its probably better to keep it simple for multiplayer's sake.
3. Going no solar was really fun! I hate solar because it is essentially free power and it removes all the power-consumption strategic decisions you have to do otherwise in this game. Nucular felt great & balanced.
4. Biters... I kinda feel like its all or nothing with biters. We defend behind turrets in the early phases of the game... Fast forward to the point where we have enough technology and destroyer capsules to just totally faceroll them out. Do you guys know mods that add some depth to this?

Late yesterday we started discussing what to do next...
-I personally want to try bob's mods+angel's ores, two mods I've never played with..
I dont know those addons and plan to spend the next few hours reading about them, learning what mod list we actually want and do not want... Do we want to keep hardcrafting with them? I'm guessing not? Kaz told me to edit bob's configs to remove T3+ modules.. We can do that later in the game I guess.. If you got input on bob+angels, let me know.. I'll update the post in the next hours as I learn more ;)
-The no hand crafting mod can go.. we did it, it was fun once but never again.. ty!
-I want no solar rule again! With Nucular probably, Kaz said he wasnt very fond of Nucular, I found it OK... I looked at Uranium Power which is another nuclear mod, it looks more realistic but kinda incomplete... No real technology tree, no updates for 0.14, doesnt look very actively developped... it has no actual ressource depletion making essentially free power which is exactly what we want to avoid.. If you know another energy mod we could go with instead of Nucular, let me know! But for now, I think Nucular was good enough.
-What about Fluid barrel instead of Railtanker for a change? I kinda miss dem barrels ;)
-Maybe some quality of life mods? Long reach? what you guys feel about this?
-What else? other mods can stay I guess..

Probably gonna spend the next couple hours reading about bob+angels, doing map generation tests to tune ressources spawning etc...

judos
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by judos »

Nice :)
Jep Marathon definitely has a performence impact,
I would really like to keep Sticky Notes mod and make people write more notes such that it's easier to understand the smart setups. It also helps a lot if once a setup is blocked or similar..

We once had a server with rso which was really hard and the biters killed our.base 2 times (absolutely destroyed everything).
I can look up if there were biter mods involved but it was definitely a good setup with the mods..

/edit1: I will setup the smart train logic for the next server, so Smart trains mod would be cool :D
For the marathon map it was kind of hard to start because there were always important other things going..

kaZ
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by kaZ »

I saw that harcdorio mod. Biters attack only at night, regardless polution values -> they will attack!

kaZ
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by kaZ »

kaZ
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: RSO/Bob+angels

Post by kaZ »

Let's get what is it used for mod

judos
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by judos »

hmm strange, on joining it first downloads something like 8 MB, then desyncs, and the next trial downloads something like 40MB ?
However can't connect at the moment. Are you guys having similar issues?

Zoom, can you please retry the server? Thank you!

Zoomtag
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Zoomtag »

I just restarted the server, let me know if it helps

judos
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by judos »

Yes works again, great thanks for your help! :) Will you come online and join tonight?

Zoomtag
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Zoomtag »

Gonna update
boblibrary
boblogistics
bobmodules
bobvehicleequipment
rso
to their latest versions

gonna add
long reach

Zoomtag
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Zoomtag »

Removed
Nucular
Nureact
Nureactfix

Added
Reactors

judos
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by judos »

After that this would be the mod zip:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14906070/mods.zip

/edit: added textplates_0.1.10 in agreement with Zoom to label the circuitry for the smart train setup
Last edited by judos on Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zoomtag
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Zoomtag »

Added Textplates 0.1.10 as requested by Judos ;p

Zoomtag
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Zoomtag »

Natural Evolution Expansion
Natural Evolution Enemies
Natural Evolution Buildings
is something I'd like to try for future games.. Looks like it adds quite some fun to the biter aspect

Added
What is it used for 1.1.5

Return to “Multiplayer”