Server setup and anti-griefing

Arrange meetings with other people to play MP, announce your servers.
ledow
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Server setup and anti-griefing

Post by ledow »

Hi,

I set up public servers for almost every game I get into.

Factorio, basic without mods, seems to just be a grief-invitation. People come in, rip up all the buildings and tracks and then attack the other players. Given the time-investment in this, that's a huge negative.

What is the standard setup to stop people doing this? Is there a preferred mod to stop players attacking other players or their buildings? And I presume it's easy enough to set up on headless servers?

At the moment, Factorio just reminds me of Minecraft. Spend hours building something only for someone to knock it all down, unless you load it with tons of custom mods that every player needs and doesn't know how to get when they try to join your server.

Arizona
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Server setup and anti-griefing

Post by Arizona »

Hi,

I'll play Factorio with you. I can contribute a massive base, and I think a good anti-grief tactic is just to have a starter base to begin with, and just make a copy of it when you're done playing.

Daid
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Daid »

Played a "no hand craft" game yesterday. As soon as a new name joined, the server owner saved the game.
If it's a griefer, we did a reload of the game.

We had about 1 reload a hour. But mostly because people hand-crafted things. Only 1 person came in and marked the whole map as "to be removed by bots".

I think a better scenario would help. Where people that just joined cannot change anything (only build new) for the first 5 or 10 minutes. Griefers are not patient, and for a big base, you usually need a few minutes after joining before you know where you can assist.

ledow
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ledow »

Anything relying on reloading saves is just losing work, albeit less, and needs admin intervention. I need something more automatic.

My experience was that myself and a couple of guys set up a factory that was self-defending.

One guy came in, spent about 20 minutes in there, then shot everyone and had taken out half the buildings before we found him. He'd also been sneakily removing or changing tiny things all over the map. Not enough to notice until all the production lines came to a halt AGES afterwards. Even reverting the changes to when he arrived would be one of those "everybody leaves in anger" moments.

And though there are server mods that let me assign people to teams and only teams can edit their creation, that means that if I'm away for a while, nobody new can join a useful team.

Is there honestly no solution at the moment? Even if I could auto-assign every player to a "team" of their own and only they could rip up their own buildings, and they were all "allied", it would be something. The only way to cause grief then would be by blocking other's building with your own buildings, but that doesn't "stop play" and could be easy to undo (i.e. when a player is banned, all their stuff disappears).

Return to “Multiplayer”