New 24/7 server EU, need some answers

Arrange meetings with other people to play MP, announce your servers.
hardviper
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

New 24/7 server EU, need some answers

Post by hardviper »

Hi everybody

I cant seem to find any EU servers, so i will host one 24/7.

I have a few questions though.

- Should it be with a whitelist? Does servers get griefed much?

- Is the peer to peer thing a problem, does it lag a lot?

- Should it be with or without mods?

- Would you play on the server?
This server will be a serious one, and will not be hosted by myself, but an extern company

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: New 24/7 server EU, need some answers

Post by Koub »

I think you should indeed whitelist : there is absolutely no control on who can connect without that, and there is grieving, either voluntaroly, or unwillingly (use all the ressources to build useless stuff when they have been saved for a particular purpose un a marathon mod map for example. For the rest, I'll let people who could be interested by multiplayer in europe answer for themselves.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

drayck
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by drayck »

hi , you don't need to whitelist if you do a save all 20minute or 40minute but when we have the deconstruction planner some use it to vanish all the base.

with mod or not is like long or short game, i prefer with mod but not like bob and yuiko mod it to much for me (i'm a new player) , i use air filtering and toxic jungle for pollution and some hard time to have a big place(poison grenade!)

And i will play on the server with the better ping so i will pass on your server yes
La mort viens du ciel!
L'hérésie viens de l'inactions
Warhammer :)
I'm a dwarf in a jungle dig tunnel is my life #toxicjungle

Evan_
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Evan_ »

About whitelisting... It means a technical trouble for some people. My ISP confirmed that there's no way for me to not have a fixed ip when restarting the router (well, not without paying significantly more than I do now). I don't have to do it every week or month, but because of that, I'll prefer servers that do different or no security measures.

I have to say that grieving is a lot less common than I expected with a game of such sudden popularity. *knocks on wood* I saw full public servers that went without an incident for weeks. And when it happens, all harm is undone in a few minutes / hours.

About mods.. I'm addicted to RSO and terrified of Bob's in multiplayer. :D I like a few QoL mods that doesn't alter gameplay significantly, but nothing I can't live without. But I realized that my opinion on a certain configuration matters less for me than what kind of players it attracts. I absolutely love public vanilla servers, as it attracts a mass of very inexperienced players, and I adore the chaos it results in. There's always something to do, someone to help in these places.

About lag... It can be very painful. It's even more painful to ask a totally nice guy to look for greener pastures. Sometimes you can't get yourself to do it for hours or even days. But I never met someone (even on public places) who didn't make this sacrifice for the greater good once asked. I say ingame lag is manageable this way.

The delays on joining and downloading the map however... it can totally kill a server, and public places are a lot more prone to this. Sometimes it really feels that someone with dial-up from New-Zeeland comes to join you. Than you go for a coffee, walk the dog, etc. And he might retry once dropped.

But I'll totally play sour server, regardless of you set it up. I tend to visit all in the region where I don't cause ping-troubles.

Return to “Multiplayer”