[Solved] Server Connectivity Issues

Arrange meetings with other people to play MP, announce your servers.
ookachuca
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[Solved] Server Connectivity Issues

Post by ookachuca »

Hello!

I have confirmed that I can run a server and have my friends connect to it from my client machine. All of the proper ports have been forwarded etc and it's all good. My problem is as follows. I bought another copy of the game to run a headless server on another machine on my network. I followed the directions in the wiki and have the headless version of the server up and running with no visible errors. I have also re-forwarded the correct ports to the IP address of the server machine. Everything should be setup just fine. But, when I go to connect to my server machine (Windows Server 2012 R2) from my client machine (windows 7) all within the same local network, I have connectivity issues. External users are able to connect just fine. Is this a known issue for the headless servers? Are there any work-arounds for this?

I apologize if this is the incorrect forum to post this topic.
-Ookachcua
Last edited by Koub on Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added solved tag

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Re: Server Connectivity Issues

Post by Oxyd »

Make sure you don't run the server with the --peer-to-peer flag; that won't work if you want to be able to connect from LAN as well.

Other than that, can you describe your “connectivity issues”?

ookachuca
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ookachuca »

The client just tells me that it cannot connect to the server when I put in my server's local ip. I've triedmy external ip with the port as well and have had no luck. I did not throw the peer to peer switch on my server bat. Would that mean that by default it is turned off?

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Oxyd »

Yes, it is off by default.

Could it be a firewall on your client computer blocking the connection?

ookachuca
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ookachuca »

I will give that a look and report back. I'm away from my computer at the moment though.

ookachuca
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ookachuca »

You were correct my firewall was causing the connection problems. Once I opened up an inbound and outbound rule for Factorio.exe on my server firewall it allowed everyone to connect just fine. I apologize for my delayed response. Hopefully this will help someone in the future.

Return to “Multiplayer”