Factorio Lagging with 3+ Players

Arrange meetings with other people to play MP, announce your servers.
Samlish
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Factorio Lagging with 3+ Players

Post by Samlish »

Hi, we're having a problem with running our factorio on multiplayer here.

There are 4 of us trying to play together. We are using Tunngle as our VPN, and Teamspeak 3 for comms. The problem we're having is that the game gets choppy, but only under specific conditions:

If Me and any other player are together, no problems
If Any combination of the other players are together, no problems.
If me and 2 or more other players are on at the same time, it gets very choppy.

I've tried disabling my firewall, opening ports, changing my game settings, with different epople hosting, both with and without P2P active, we've tried the diffrerent levels of Latency... no matter what, it gets choppy while I am on with 2 or more other people

Any ideas what I could do to resolve this, or what the problem might be?

Marcado
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Factorio Lagging with 3+ Players

Post by Marcado »

I suggest using a different LAN service,but i don't know anything bout multiplayer connections

Samlish
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Samlish »

I'll give that a shot just now, using hamachi

EDIT: Still the same issue with hamachi.

Further note: the map download is sometimes awesoemly fast (1-2 seconds, and sometimes catastrophically slow (100Bytes/s)

zvezdaburya
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by zvezdaburya »

Same thing happened to me and some friends tonight when we were playing. Game starts lagging after the 3rd guy joins when i was hosting. Another one in the group hosted the game and could handle 3 persons just fine, but some time after the 4th guy joined we got the lags again. The 4th guy had a spotty connection though...

Anyway, we had great fun :D

Marcado
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Marcado »

Let me see....I think maybe you should look into finding the best hoster and work form there. specifically the person with the fastest upload(you need upload) and download so he wont lag

studmuffin
Inserter
Inserter

Post by studmuffin »

The server really depends on everyone having a solid connection. The server should be hosted by whoever has the fasted upload, and everyone else will want good upload and download as well. I wouldn't recommend playing through a VPN. Port forwarding would be a faster option, as you can bypass the VPN server, greatly reducing latency, and generally increasing potential speed. But I understand a VPN may be the only option for some people. I'm considering selling server slots. I just need / would like to figure out how to log the server output (using windows right now, suppose I could put it in a linux vm) so I can give servers better control over what goes on on their server (whitelist / black list ips).

Return to “Multiplayer”