Some strange behaviour on dedicated MP server

Arrange meetings with other people to play MP, announce your servers.
Soulassassin
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Some strange behaviour on dedicated MP server

Post by Soulassassin »

Hi guys, I am at wits end with this issue.

So I have set up a dedicated server as a very basic installation (installed with steam and then started server with bat file I found here).

But what happens is, I join the server. All fine. Player A joins the server and then everything is fine. Player B joins the server then it starts to lag. But I join with players B and C then its fine. Until player A joins. So if there are more than 2 players connected with player A then it starts lagging. Even his teamspeak latency and packetloss increases. Any idea what this could be?

Please any advice will do. He is using a Dlink DSL 2750u router.

kingarthur
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Some strange behaviour on dedicated MP server

Post by kingarthur »

first thing is check player a ping to players b and c. also check internet upload speed. without knowing more that is my best guess as to where to look first.

Bisa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Bisa »

short answer: in a factorio game, all peers communicate with eachother

It might just be that peer A in your case has a crappy upload speed, and or is living further away from the rest of you using a dsl (copper) line rather than fiber optics.
To be able to play as smooth as possible, ideally all players should be situated relatively close to each other - if you know how to port forward I suggest trying to add the --peer-to-peer option as a start argument in your bat (right after the save game name)
Hosting a factorio server? Take a look at this || init script ||.

Ninja_Dog81
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Ninja_Dog81 »

I am player A, unfortunately.

This game is so awesome but the lag is really breaking our MP spirit. Two people at once is fine although now that the factories are getting a little more complex the lag is almost unbearable.

What are the setup options we could try to alleviate peer-to-peer as it simply is not working for us, I believe. Steam Vs. *.bat?

Surely using a powerful dedicated server should alleviate the lag? It's quite frustrating. I've never played a game at 1 FPS due to lag before because obviously it's so unplayable but factorio makes you swear through it cos dammit, I need those potion vials ;)

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Bisa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Bisa »

Ninja_Dog81 wrote:Surely using a powerful dedicated server should alleviate the lag?
On the contrary - that would only add yet another peer to the list of peers you need to communicate with thus putting even more strain on your connection.
(did you guys try to exclude the server? ie if one of you start the mp game rather than run it on a dedicated box - if you have a server, where is is located? perhaps you just need a server closer to your location)
Hosting a factorio server? Take a look at this || init script ||.

Return to “Multiplayer”