steam dedicated server problems

Arrange meetings with other people to play MP, announce your servers.
zap-hosting
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

steam dedicated server problems

Post by zap-hosting »

Hi,

trying to get a factorio server running with steam to provide autoupdate to our factorio gameservers customers.
I installed factorio with steamcmd and APP ID 427520, using Ubuntu 14.04.

When I try to start the server with:
./factorio --start-server ZAP001.zip
I get:
szCmd: /bin/sh -c '"/home/r12_12345//.steam/root/steam.sh" "steam://run/427520//%22--start-server%22%20%22ZAP001.zip%22"' &
/bin/sh: 1: /home/r12_12345//.steam/root/steam.sh: not found
Found a workaround for that:
Create a file called "steam_appid.txt" with content "427520" in bin/x64/ folder.

But then I get this error:
[S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; SteamAPI_IsSteamRunning() failed.
[S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; unable to locate a running instance of Steam, or a local steamclient.so.
0.000 Error Main.cpp:191: Steam API could not be initialized.
Already tried to copy the steamclient.so from my steamcmd folder to factorios bin/x64/ folder. No success.

Did someone already find a solution for that?
Best wishes,
ZAP-Hosting.com
:: Official Factorio server hoster ::
Rent a Factorio Gameserver with unlimited Slots here.

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: steam dedicated server problems

Post by slpwnd »

As mentioned in the email, the simplest way to get a game running on a linux server is to use our headless binary. Available from both the demo and download page. Running the Steam version of the game in headless mode might not work properly at the moment because of an error with passing arguments. Something HanziQ is going to fix for the next release. However it would still require you to have proper steam app instance on that computer.

HanziQ
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by HanziQ »

In the next update, --start-server (and some other args) will not require the Steam client to be running.

Kuun-Lann
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Kuun-Lann »

I don't know how you manage to get the headless server from steamcmd. When i enter app_update 427520 it says "ERROR! Failed to install app '427520' (No subscription)"

Anyway is there any compatibilty problem with demo server and steam version ?

I download the headless server using the walkthrough of another post. I install every libs. I put a save that we made with a friend on steam versions of Factorio.

When the server is loading i got the following message :

Code: Select all

1.398 Warning Scenario.cpp:137: Map loading failed: Unknown entity laser-turret (Maybe you loaded alpha save from demo)

Attempt to use different prototype to traverse save of already removed entity called "laser-turret" failed.There is no other prototype of the same type (electric-turret) to be used to load the entity.
   1.412 Error MultiplayerManager.cpp:108: MultiplayerManager failed: "Unknown entity laser-turret (Maybe you loaded alpha save from demo)

Attempt to use different prototype to traverse save of already removed entity called "laser-turret" failed.There is no other prototype of the same type (electric-turret) to be used to load the entity."
   1.412 Info MultiplayerManager.cpp:928: networkTick(0) mapTick(-1) changing state from(CreatingGame) to(InitializationFailed)
   1.412 Error Main.cpp:294: Couldn't load the game for MP: Unknown entity laser-turret (Maybe you loaded alpha save from demo)

Attempt to use different prototype to traverse save of already removed entity called "laser-turret" failed.There is no other prototype of the same type (electric-turret) to be used to load the entity.

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by cube »

Was it this thread? viewtopic.php?f=53&t=20594 :-)

Demo doesn't support multiplayer and doesn't support loading non-demo saves (as you have seen in the error messages). There is a minor bug in 0.12.24 that it doesn't complaint about these limitations soon enough when you attempt to run it from commandline.

Anyway, you should either be using the headless release from here http://www.factorio.com/download-headless/stable (which doesn't require gui libraries or steam), or wait for the fix mentioned in this thread by HanziQ and launch from steam

Return to “Multiplayer”