[Public/Europe] Dedicated Server [0.12.35/Modded]

Arrange meetings with other people to play MP, announce your servers.
judos
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [Public/Europe] Dedicated Server [0.12.29/Marathon]

Post by judos »

Hi all,

In regards that the current map is getting slowly into it's late game phase I would like to start a retrospective about the mod configuration and some proposals for a next modded server configuration.
First some screenshots of the current world :D
Whole world with all expansions
Whole world with all expansions
Screenshot 2016-03-31 00.00.05.png (243.43 KiB) Viewed 5259 times
The base train setup
The base train setup
Screenshot 2016-03-31 00.00.43.png (221.51 KiB) Viewed 5259 times
Observations and proposals:
- The train setup is probably one of the most amazing one I saw until now
- With the unminable building it's great that you don't get into late game after 2h of game play (the current map has around 310h time on the server)
- A bit annoying that buildings are in fact not minable (would be maybe better to let them be minable but instead you don't get anything back?)
- No handcrafting: It's really painful if you forgot something and you are already outside the base. (Instead of disabling this I would find it more enjoyable to just have the player crafting time set to 10x than usual.
- Belts are broken: Trains help a lot but can be built too late. In fact a mod about smaller trains which are a lot slower would be cool, such that early game trains (track out of wood or similar) could be built. Or also instead of having the belts broken. Just set the speed to 5 times slower than usual. This would probably also create more pressure to use trains and give some interesting new setups :P (e.g.: https://github.com/judos/slowerBelts/re ... ag/0.12.29)
- Difficulty with the current mods was really challenging but a bit to high for my feeling. There were not as many players than usual. I guess not many even dared to try it due to the mods we used?

Some mod proposals:
- K&L Inserters (http://www.factoriomods.com/mods/k-l-inserters)
- Logistics Railway (http://www.factoriomods.com/mods/logistics-railway)
- Satellite Uplink Station (http://www.factoriomods.com/mods/satell ... nk-station)
- Dystopia (http://www.factoriomods.com/mods/d-y-s-t-o-p-i-a)
- DyTech as base mod for advanced technologies?

What do you guys think?

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

judos wrote: Some mod proposals:
- K&L Inserters (http://www.factoriomods.com/mods/k-l-inserters)
- Logistics Railway (http://www.factoriomods.com/mods/logistics-railway)
- Satellite Uplink Station (http://www.factoriomods.com/mods/satell ... nk-station)
- Dystopia (http://www.factoriomods.com/mods/d-y-s-t-o-p-i-a)
- DyTech as base mod for advanced technologies?

What do you guys think?
I especially like Dystopia, hopefully it works in MP. Satellite Uplink Station sounds a bit over the top and since it is only available after the satellite launch I don't think it is worth it.

kaZ
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by kaZ »

Judos you forgot the Slapmod. It features to slap people's head that repeatedly switch chainsignals to railsignals causing deadlocks, again and again.
http://imgur.com/EmfL7y1

EDIT: another one: http://imgur.com/HCHvZPe

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

kaZ wrote:...repeatedly switch chainsignals to railsignals causing deadlocks, again and again.
:oops:

judos
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by judos »

hahaha kaZ, still better than having only one train on the whole rail network at once :D And yes I don't like chain signals :P

Wohoo seems like we reached our goal with the one rocket 8-)

kaZ
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by kaZ »

judos wrote:hahaha kaZ, still better than having only one train on the whole rail network at once :D And yes I don't like chain signals :P

Wohoo seems like we reached our goal with the one rocket 8-)
First of all, it's not the "whole" system as shown in this picture http://imgur.com/0EWpH15. If railsignals in this case are used massively you're forcing the main rail system to act like a sushi belt (they wait on track till they are/ can be processed). But in my way of thinking it's not the goal to have tons of trains ON the main system that have NO free destination. This leads to the state where a train (e.g. copper) that HAS a clear free destination can NOT drive because a train with NO free destination is blocking the track. This comes together with the rail logic that you know that a train always prefers the shortest way to it's target. In our build this means that they prefer in most cases the left track. And what you're also not thinking of is that the 12 other trains in the smelting area also prefer the left side. With rail signals they are all lining up to get a destination.

Another, factorio free, comparsion for better understanding. If you have a far glass and watch into sky for incoming planes because you want to give them a proper direction you maybe are able to see a radius of (idk) 30km's (=railsignal). What would you give for the ability to have a radar where you can spot planes in maybe 500km's (chain signal)?!

Another thing that you're not aware of currently is that you're most likely prevent all the trains to get in their "right" time into the smelting area while. The "right" time would be as following: we have 12 slots for smelting copper. 1 train idle's 400 secs till it's load is processed. 400/12x2outleading chainsignal tracks=66,66 secs. That's just 1 copper train each minute if you allow trains to get blocked by chains in the beginning(and force the beginning of the following smelt process to start later: second 0 -> train 1 starts to smelt; second 33,33 -> train 2 starts to smelt; ...) it stretches over the time.

Same thing with rail signal: you allow the trains to leave whenever they want -> lets imagine all 12 trains start their very own process within about 1 minute (drive into the smeltry..) than they all are done in the same time +1m. Now they ALL want to enter that two rails which they prefer to take the left one and lining up. The result (with some minor variance) is that you flip the problem of a blocked track and a delivery NOT intime over and over again, from the ending of the process to it's new beginning. (I know those two examples are exaggerated, but it show's you the tendency where it leads to / could lead to -> a better flow of the whole system)

I can write you other advantages but that should last for the moment, maybe you're once getting into the magic and benefits of those signals when you accept it for a little bit. Just try to think into the system instead of blocking it from the outset.

Judos. I enjoy discussing with you :) and i know you're a smart guy. This is why i'm writing but please deliver me arguments and not just "meeeeh meeeee i don't likee thaaahaaaatatttt. meeh meeeh" :)

judos
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by judos »

:D yes you are right. I just don't want to blame anyone here. But I was probably not responsible for all the deadlocks. Also I learned my part. The exit of the smeltery really worked better with chain signals. In the first place I didn't think of the iron smelting trains which can actually bypass the crossing because they have another destination than the copper trains...

Apilem
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Apilem »

Ok I have invented a lagg weapon, and when I made LW's Big Brother I realised that it is a bit too much because it became Drop Weapon(cus It lagged that hard that I got dropped)))

DRBLN
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DRBLN »

Dan, please could you restart the server with new mods?

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

DRBLN wrote:Dan, please could you restart the server with new mods?
We are not done yet, we should be early next week.

DRBLN
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DRBLN »

The last research is left

DRBLN
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DRBLN »

Finally.

The rocket is launched and all the researches are finished.

Thank a lot.
WE really had a lot of fun.

Apilem
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Apilem »

Watched a film called 'Forest Gump'... Well what I can say is you have to see it guys if you didnt watch it ^^ It realy owns its 6 oscars for a reason :)
Now I know from where the phrase 'Run Forest Run!' came)))

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

I see you managed to beat this challenge - Marathon with no belts, no picking up buildings and no handcrafting.
In 28 actual days, 363 ingame map hours and with 51 different players visiting.
Map
I'll keep the map running for now while you can make suggestions for a new map (settings and mods).
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

Apilem
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Apilem »

Hey daniel, have you tried out my lagg weapon and its big brother? :)

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

Apilem wrote:Hey daniel, have you tried out my lagg weapon and its big brother? :)
Yes, I've seen it. I was surprised it only brought the UPS down a little bit with vanilla trains but almost brought it to a standstill with the modded train, although it's not even twice that fast. I will have to investigate that further. :)
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

hardviper
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by hardviper »

Will this server get reseted?

Apilem
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Apilem »

I have actualy made 2 matches on the arena(the big and messy one) on vanilla trains that dont lagg it out with rules of who rams in the back/side of the train wins and face to face=ties. Was quite fun since its way too complicated to controll your train on high speed there ^^

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Dystopia does not seem to be working with .12.xx, so I would like Dytech, the no belts mod and if it works together with it Marathon and NO FARL.
Fat-controller would be nice, but only if the constant info messaging is fixed.

Edit: Or we could try something new, like 5dim and/or the swarm mod.
I think I'm fine with pretty much everything as long as I can remove buildings and craft on hand :)
Last edited by Loewchen on Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hardviper
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by hardviper »

Please reset the server, so we can get going again :)

Return to “Multiplayer”