Multiplayer Map Saving

Arrange meetings with other people to play MP, announce your servers.
2disbetter
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Multiplayer Map Saving

Post by 2disbetter »

How does the server handle saving the current map in multiplayer? I ask because I do a lot of work in game, and quit out of the game as a client, but when I log back in almost all the work I just did is no longer there. It is as if the server is not saving the progress, but at other times it does.

Is there a way to ensure the game map is being saved. I'm having to make individual saves and replaces those saves on the server machine to get around this.

Any help is appreciated!

2d

PS: Happy new years!

Kayanor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Multiplayer Map Saving

Post by Kayanor »

You have to save the map on your hard disk and load this savegame when you want to play again. The server itself can't save the map.
Former moderator.

2disbetter
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by 2disbetter »

Thank you! Do you know if there is any intention of making it so the server could save map progress?

2d

Kayanor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Kayanor »

If you use the peer-to-peer connection, there is no "server", only the host and other players. "Host" and "Players" may change when another player loads the game and starts up the multi player session, or if the host leaves a new host will be chosen.
But if you use the new headless server thingy... I don't know, I never used it and don't know much about it. :P
Former moderator.

2disbetter
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by 2disbetter »

Ah. Yes it is the headless server that I'm using. Perhaps someone on the development team could clarify the servers behavior with regard to saving.

2d

Puddintaters
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Puddintaters »

from what i can tell, headless servers set to autosave will do what they should. if you're losing progress after relogging on to a headless server there's something weird going on. if it's a p2p connection, always save individually or designate a person to hold the main save branch afaik.

Return to “Multiplayer”