2 mods crashing in MP

Arrange meetings with other people to play MP, announce your servers.
Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

2 mods crashing in MP

Post by Peter34 »

I asked a friend of mine to test a private "mod pack" that I've assembled, to see if it's "fit" for MP, in preparation for a grand coop MP game that I hope to host when alpha 13.1 comes out.

Turns out 2 of the mods causes a crash, during an MP game, even before the other guy joins the game, as soon as I click on one of their interface buttons. With those 2 mods disabled, everything seems to run fine in MP.

One is Evolution Factor Indicator. If I click one of the 2 buttons to expand the list, or to open the config window, my client crashes.

The other one is Auto-Wire. If I click its box, to get to the checkboxes to control which wires I want to draw, of copper, red and green, my client crashes.

This causes me to be unsure of whether I should inform the developers of these 2 mods, or if there is another way to resolve it - if it is perhaps basically not their "fault".

I and my friend used Evolve to connect, and the crashes happened whether I had started the MP game with peer-2-peer enabled or not enabled.

(A 3rd mod, the BluePrint flipper one, did nothing when I or my friend tried to click its buttons, but that may be because in the game he joined, I had not yet invented Blueprints, so those buttons were inactive. My guess is that if we had invented Blueprints, we'd have gotten the same crash.)

SirRichie
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: 2 mods crashing in MP

Post by SirRichie »

What are the error messages you are getting?
Does the game simply crash or do you get a message box with an error?

With that we could see if it is a bug in the mod (probably wrong player index) or within the game itself.

keksinat0r
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by keksinat0r »

Last time I checked Evolution Factor Indicator was not compatible with 0.12 Multiplayer. So I guess you will have to wait for an updated version of EvoGUI.
It tried to access some fields which are not available in 0.12 anymore.

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

SirRichie wrote:What are the error messages you are getting?
Does the game simply crash or do you get a message box with an error?

With that we could see if it is a bug in the mod (probably wrong player index) or within the game itself.
I tried again, and took these notes, first time around with all mods enabled, including the 2 problem ones, Auto-Wire and EvoGUI:

Notice
(blank line)
Error while running the event handler:
__autowire_-/control.lua:40: Unknown style
autowire_small_button_style

(button "OK")
...and the active game exits. And after that Factorio crashes to Windows, with this win7 error message:
Error
Unexpected error occured. You can help us solve the problem by
posting the contents of the log file on the Factorio forums.

(Where exactly do I find the log file? And will it even help in this case)

The above occured with both the Auto-Wire mod and the EvoGUI mod enabled, whether I started a new MP game in normal mode or in peer-2-peer mode.

I then tried again, with the Auto-Wire mod disabled.

This causes the game to run, but continously (about once per second, I'd say) produce a chime noise
and this error message: Unknown key:"err_generic"

It just seems like some strange errors to get. But they only occur when those 2 mods are enabled. Without EvoGUI and Auto-Wire, MP seems to work fine.

Narc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Narc »

keksinat0r wrote:Last time I checked Evolution Factor Indicator was not compatible with 0.12 Multiplayer.
When was that? EvoGUI didn't exist before 0.12.

Narc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Narc »

Peter34 wrote:I tried again, and took these notes, first time around with all mods enabled, including the 2 problem ones, Auto-Wire and EvoGUI:

Notice
(blank line)
Error while running the event handler:
__autowire_-/control.lua:40: Unknown style
autowire_small_button_style

(button "OK")
...and the active game exits. And after that Factorio crashes to Windows, with this win7 error message:
Error
Unexpected error occured. You can help us solve the problem by
posting the contents of the log file on the Factorio forums.

(Where exactly do I find the log file? And will it even help in this case)

The above occured with both the Auto-Wire mod and the EvoGUI mod enabled, whether I started a new MP game in normal mode or in peer-2-peer mode.

I then tried again, with the Auto-Wire mod disabled.

This causes the game to run, but continously (about once per second, I'd say) produce a chime noise
and this error message: Unknown key:"err_generic"

It just seems like some strange errors to get. But they only occur when those 2 mods are enabled. Without EvoGUI and Auto-Wire, MP seems to work fine.
It looks like your copy of Auto-wire is missing its data.lua, and your copy of EvoGUI is missing its locale (and possibly also its data.lua). I couldn't begin to guess how this happened, but I'd be very concerned that your mods are somehow losing pieces of themselves seemingly at random.

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

Those files were not missing in the EvoGUI ZIP archive. I checked, although I did not check the Auto-Wire ZIP archive.

What I did was to delete both ZIP archives, then re-download them from their respective forum threads, then in my /downloads folder I extracted the folder from within each ZIP archive, by copying it, then pasting it into my /mods folder, that is as a "clear" folder rather than as a ZIP archive.

And that appears to have made the problems go away completely, although I'll do a more thorough test, with an actual 2nd player logged on, on Tuesday.

Return to “Multiplayer”