Extremely slow downloading map?

Arrange meetings with other people to play MP, announce your servers.
Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Extremely slow downloading map?

Post by Xterminator »

So I have been playing some multiplayer with a friend for probably a month or more at this point, and up until about 2 weeks ago everything was working fine. He is also in the US as I am, so map download speed was fast and we had almost 0 lag in game.
However lately it is taking absolutely forever to download the map, but yet when I get into the game there much lag (most the time...). What could be causing this?
I mean it is very annoying and shouldn't be happening. It literally takes at least 6-7 minutes to download the 6mb map... Usually it tops out at downloading it at about 25 or 30kb/s which is like worse than dial up haha

Anyone know why this might be happening all the sudden? And why it takes forever to do that, but once we are in game it see!s fine?
Thanks for any help!
Image Image Image

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Extremely slow downloading map?

Post by ssilk »

Could be nearly everything. My tip: Some hardware problem. ;)

A systematic search would be useful. For example: check all cables (I don't be kidding, lately, I have had problems with my home internet, cause the cable into the router had problems). Check hardware (some years ago I had a switch, which silently begun to loose packets so that I couldn't open games in Homeworld anymore).

Check any hardware, which connects you or your fried with the internet level by level. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSI_model)

Only if the lower levels are really working, you can think to check the upper, TCP/IP and so on. Check for packet loss between you and your friend - not only on TCP-level (ping), also on IP-level (there are other programs for that).
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

Thanks! I will check what I can and hopefully find a fix. Or in the end it could just be my horrible internet service. :(
Image Image Image

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

Xterminator wrote:my horrible internet service.
I think we've found the culprit.

Okeanos
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Okeanos »

Hey,

today we tried to play coop 3 persons the 2 first people where able to join each other with no problems the third however is not able to load the map.

Return to “Multiplayer”