[0.12.x][v0.12.11] Bob's Warfare mod

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

Should new alien artifacts be used in new ammo recipes?

Poll ended at Wed May 13, 2015 12:43 am

No, leave the recipes more or less as they are
12%
Yes, Use coloured alien artifacts directly in ammo recipes
12%
Yes, Use coloured alien artifacts to make a new intermediate item, of which is used in new ammo recipes
76%

Total votes: 17

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.11.22/0.12.x][v0.12.4] Bob's Warfare mod

Post by bobingabout »

Re-read what I put, and what the guy who posted the script in the first place put.

You are trying to put a runtime script inside a data setup file, that is why it isn't working.

it NEEDS to go in control.lua, it will not work in any of the files that exist in my mod because they are all data setup files, you need to create a new control.lua file in my mod folder for this runtime code.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

cpw
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by cpw »

bouncebag:

You don't need to do any of that.
In the console, run
command
Replace bob-gun-turret-2 with -3 -4 or -5, or bob-sniper-turret-1 -2 or -3

Works fine for me. the limits bit tells how much to try and load in (20 in this case)..

Kayser
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Kayser »

cpw wrote:bouncebag:

In the console, run
command

Works fine for me. the limits bit tells how much to try and load in (20 in this case)..
1st:
That works, but it needs to be done once per game, right? I would prefer if it was auto-included for new games, so that I didn't have to keep that line of code around.

2nd:
I would also like if Bob's ammo was included. Once you have those poison and impact bullets you wanna use them, right?

Kayser
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [0.11.22/0.12.x][v0.12.5] Bob's Warfare mod

Post by Kayser »

@Bob: Are there any plans for improved tank or flame thrower ammo? There are kind of "meh" right now. I dream of reviving that flame thrower with some poison gas =)

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Kayser wrote:@Bob: Are there any plans for improved tank or flame thrower ammo? There are kind of "meh" right now. I dream of reviving that flame thrower with some poison gas =)
Flamethrower ammo.... is unique. The reason there isn't any research is likely due to the fact that it fires so fast it would break trying to increase the fire rate, and the damage is on the "Entity" created by the weapon, so damage bonus wouldn't effect it. This also makes creating new types of ammo awkward, because it can only ever have a single damage type, with no bonus effects. if you look at some of my other ammos for example, Fire bullets will do normal bullet damage, fire damage, and create a flame effect. This isn't possible with flamethrower ammo.

As for tank ammo, there is a high possibillity I will create more types of tank ammo. Since the type of attack is actually based on the ammo, not the gun, I could make the standard tank fire all sorts of crazy things based on the ammo you put into it.
For example, I could create explosive ammo, that explodes with a massive AOE on first impact... Scatter shot that fires like the shotgun... Poison mortor that effectively fires poison capsules... even something a little more interesting, like a drone gun that creates distractor drones where you aim... probably don't do that last one, but the others sound interesting.

sugestions?
I also have a Patreon.

bouncebag
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by bouncebag »

bobingabout wrote:Re-read what I put, and what the guy who posted the script in the first place put.

You are trying to put a runtime script inside a data setup file, that is why it isn't working.

it NEEDS to go in control.lua, it will not work in any of the files that exist in my mod because they are all data setup files, you need to create a new control.lua file in my mod folder for this runtime code.

In the console, run
command

Bob, thanks, sorry, I got it confused. I'll try that in control.lua in autofill mod zip, now.
If it doesn't work this time I'll just run the commands cpw put, Thanks cpw :)

Kayser
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Kayser »

bobingabout wrote: sugestions?
Oh, you know - just the regular stuff: Poison shell, acid shell, armor piercing shell, incendiary shell, and possibly impact shell.

I would also like to see some different varieties of tanks. Like a mobile artillery (with rocket launcher), an APC (some better traction and with gatling shotgun), a flame tank (BURN, BABY, BURN!), and a futuristic tank (gatling laser turret and electric discharge defense and shield). They could come in generations with better acceleration, top speed and health for the newer ones. Coolest would be a modular veichle, which you could arm and equip like a power armor, but I assume that't not possible.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I do plan to add more tanks at some point.
unfortunately, since I'm not good at graphics, they can be little more than what alraedy exists, perhaps with a change in size, and a colour tint.

just more types of tank cannon rounds are doable
Rocket launcher on a tank is doable
Gatling gun has already been made, it just needs asigning to a vehicle.
Flamethrower... well, probably not, just because of how weak the existing one is, and how awkward it is to work with.
Laser tank is very doable, even with a discharge defence, but that would requite a unique ammo.
Shields, and power armor grids on a tank is actually one of the popular requests, the mechanics to actually do it arn't in the game yet. so, I can't do that.
I also have a Patreon.

Kayser
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Kayser »

bobingabout wrote: unfortunately, since I'm not good at graphics, they can be little more than what alraedy exists, perhaps with a change in size, and a colour tint.
May I suggest you make the actual modification, then openly ask for help/suggest your fans to improve the graphics.
bobingabout wrote: Laser tank is very doable, even with a discharge defence, but that would requite a unique ammo.
That would be awsome. I imagine it would need to have a fusion reactor in it and take some sort of power cells as ammo. These could be made from deuterium and tritium, made from water and lithium, respectively.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Kayser wrote:
bobingabout wrote: unfortunately, since I'm not good at graphics, they can be little more than what alraedy exists, perhaps with a change in size, and a colour tint.
May I suggest you make the actual modification, then openly ask for help/suggest your fans to improve the graphics.
I have asked for graphics before, the only person who's drawn anything for me is... yuoki? I can never remember how to spell his name. He made the Electrolyser, and the robot LZE.
Kayser wrote:
bobingabout wrote: Laser tank is very doable, even with a discharge defence, but that would requite a unique ammo.
That would be awsome. I imagine it would need to have a fusion reactor in it and take some sort of power cells as ammo. These could be made from deuterium and tritium, made from water and lithium, respectively.
The laser tank's laser weapon would just use the same ammo as the laser rifle. The discharge defence ammo would probably be some sort of Discharge capacitor, which like the laser rifle batteries would mostly just be batteries and a couple of other small things.
I also have a Patreon.

khozmo
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by khozmo »

bouncebag wrote:
bobingabout wrote:Re-read what I put, and what the guy who posted the script in the first place put.

In the console, run
command

Bob, thanks, sorry, I got it confused. I'll try that in control.lua in autofill mod zip, now.
I am not sure if I am just being a right twit. But I can not get this to work. I have tried with the press tilde and pasting in the command and putting it a control.lua folder in my mods folder and editing the control.lua in the mod.

I copy and paste the command cpw showed. I did it for mk2 guns and sniper-1 and neither worked. I have checked I have the latest version of the mods.

banging my head against the wall.

RiotLight
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by RiotLight »

khozmo wrote:
bouncebag wrote:

In the console, run
command

I am not sure if I am just being a right twit. But I can not get this to work. I have tried with the press tilde and pasting in the command and putting it a control.lua folder in my mods folder and editing the control.lua in the mod.

I copy and paste the command cpw showed. I did it for mk2 guns and sniper-1 and neither worked. I have checked I have the latest version of the mods.

banging my head against the wall.
Yep got the same problems. None of this works. Even tried this from a comment on a youtube video but the final line /c remote.call("af", "default", "**username***") doesnt work with error af.default no such function.

(the solution to your various config.lua edits failing is at the bottom of this. Bulk is just needed changes to update everything added in bob's mods that I could find that uses fuel or ammo) around line 194 (anywhere in the block, make sure the commas are set up correctly if you add this lot to the end), insert:

["boiler-2"] = {priority=order.default, group="burners", limits={5}, fuels.high},
["boiler-3"] = {priority=order.default, group="burners", limits={5}, fuels.high},
["boiler-4"] = {priority=order.default, group="burners", limits={5}, fuels.high},
["chemical-boiler"] = {priority=order.default, group="burners", limits={5}, fuels.high},
["mixing-furnace"] = {priority=order.default, group="burners", limits={5}, fuels.high},
["bob-gun-turret-2"]= {priority=order.default, group="turrets", limits= {10}, ammo.bullets },
["bob-gun-turret-3"]= {priority=order.default, group="turrets", limits= {10}, ammo.bullets },
["bob-gun-turret-4"]= {priority=order.default, group="turrets", limits= {10}, ammo.bullets },
["bob-gun-turret-5"]= {priority=order.default, group="turrets", limits= {10}, ammo.bullets },
["bob-sniper-turret-1"]= {priority=order.default, group="turrets", limits= {10}, ammo.bullets },
["bob-sniper-turret-2"]= {priority=order.default, group="turrets", limits= {10}, ammo.bullets },
["bob-sniper-turret-3"]= {priority=order.default, group="turrets", limits= {10}, ammo.bullets },
["diesel-locomotive-2"] = {priority=order.default, slots={1}, fuels.high},
["diesel-locomotive-3"] = {priority=order.default, slots={1}, fuels.high},
["armoured-diesel-locomotive"] = {priority=order.default, slots={1}, fuels.high},

optionally to have autofill use the advanced ammo when available, line 234 (219 before inserting above lines) alter to

bullets = {"ap-bullet-magazine","acid-bullet-magazine","he-bullet-magazine","poison-bullet-magazine","flame-bullet-magazine","impact-bullet-magazine","bullet-magazine","piercing-bullet-magazine","basic-bullet-magazine"},

Finally, to update a game started before the change to the new sets (and skipping this is why the other tweaks haven't worked), type in the factorio chat for that game /c remote.call("af", "default", "**username***") (substituting whichever username you are using as appropriate)

Seems as if the AMASS guys got it to work but it wont work for me!

Kayser
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Kayser »

I got it to work, except it does not insert the custom ammo like poison and fire bullets in the turrets.

Also it still crashes if you plant a turret while driving a veichle.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

ammo.bullets lists only basegame bullets... if you want to be able to use the new ammo, you will need to replace ammo.bullets with your own table listing all 9 bullet objects.
I also have a Patreon.

UberWaffe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [0.11.22/0.12.x][v0.12.6] Bob's Warfare mod

Post by UberWaffe »

Bug report: Warfare mod v0.12.6 ->
armor-recipe.lua

Code: Select all

{
    type = "recipe",
    name = "bob-power-armor-mk3",
    enabled = "false",
    energy_required = 30,
    ingredients =
    {
      {"power-armor-mk2", 1},
      {"processing-unit", 50},
      {"aluminium-plate", 25},
      {"invar-alloy", 25},
      {"effectivity-module-3", 5},
      {"speed-module-4", 5},
    },
    result = "bob-power-armor-mk3"
  },
References "speed-module-4", which I believe should be "speed-module-3", since recipe-updates.lua contains

Code: Select all

if data.raw.module["speed-module-4"] then
  bobmods.lib.replace_recipe_item ("bob-power-armor-mk3", "speed-module-3", "speed-module-4")
You might already have spotted this, but posting in case otherwise.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.11.22/0.12.x][v0.12.6] Bob's Warfare mod

Post by bobingabout »

I hadn't noticed, thanks for the report.

This is actually an important one to fix, because it will cause an error if you don't have speed-module-4 from not having the Modules mod installed.
I also have a Patreon.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.11.22/0.12.x][v0.12.8] Bob's Warfare mod

Post by bobingabout »

I was just wondering what people think of the updates to the latest version of my Warfare mod, specifically the opinion of what I did with the MK2 and MK3 tanks.

v0.12.8:
* Updated recipes to use alien alloys and fluids if available.
* Added Tank MK2 and MK3.
* Added "Scatter cannon shells" that function like shotgun ammo.
* Added Tank Artillery Cannon to MK2 and MK3 tanks.
* Added Poison Artillery shell that acts like a poison capsule, with big area damage.
* Added Tank Laser weapon to MK3 tanks.
* Added Artillery upgrade research.

I also wanted to ask if the Artillery weapon upgrades should be their ownn research (which is what I did) or if it would fit better on a single tank weapon upgrade technology (Merged with the current tank cannon weapon upgrades).

I suppose one reason to keep the 2 seperate could be for use on artillery turrets if I add such a thing, rocket and artillery turrets would be quite possible. Although Shotgun and Cannon shell (what is used on the tank cannon) turrets would also be possible, their collission nature makes them a poor choice for a turret, because they'd destroy any walls placed in front of them. Actually, thinking about it, especially with the lack of a minimum range, artillty turrets are probably a bad idea too, 2 shots from a fully upgraded MK3 tank firing poison artillery is enough to completely demolish my re-inforced walls and all the laser turrets behind them. All it would take is 1 behemoth biter to get past your fire volly and make it to your wall, and your artillery would blow up your own defences.
I also have a Patreon.

UberWaffe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by UberWaffe »

Isn't there damage types that only affect aliens? (Or biologicals, which would be aliens + player.)
That could work for artillery type shells.

As for ingame experience with the new tanks.
Still busy working my way towards those in my new playthrough.
But I am really excited for some laser-tank based mayhem. :twisted:
Last edited by UberWaffe on Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Actually, the laser weapon on the tank is basically just a buffed version of the laser rifle (Though I can change it later if I have feedback), so just uses the laser rifle ammo as ammo.

I was thinking of a few alternate scenarios, or implementations.

Let me know what you think when you've tried it.
I also have a Patreon.

UberWaffe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by UberWaffe »

Did a quick map-editor test of the new tanks, so I can only comment on the tanks themselves, not their recipe costs or tech-tree placement.

tl;dr: I like them. Lasers are underwhelming though.

!tl;dr:
I like them. Even if you change nothing they fit well as upgrades to the standard tank.
I especially like that they are actually faster. Makes them attractive when compared to power armor.

Weapon wise:
I really like the artillery function on the tanks, as well as the decent buffs that the gattling gun and the cannon provides.
Scatter shells are also really nasty at killing bases. Pretty much felt this is the goto weapon for nest killing.

Tank laser cannon felt a bit underwhelming though. Not sure where it fits in. Cannon is better for nest killing. Gattling better for biter killing.
Not that role overlap is bad. It just doesn't seem to be on par with the others, nor have a specific niche.

Suggestions:
Scatter shells -> Maybe shorten range a smidge? (15 maybe? I like the idea of a kind of 'meat-grindy melee' weapon.) Maybe up the damage a bit to compensate? I feel this could help differentiate it a bit more.

Laser cannon -> Up the DPS? Either a much faster rate of fire, or a bigger damage bonus.
If possible, I would like it to eat more ammo per shot (i.e. new ammo item, which costs 1 standard laser ammo, but has only 5 to 10 shots maybe?), and have a very hard long-range (35 range) punch. That would give it a role similar to cannon shells but with less friendly fire risks. (High rate of fire and range 35 could also probably achieve the same, though might suffer against higher level aliens.)

Artillery -> A distractor bot deploying artillery shell? (Any long-range static-laser-bot artillery shell really. Doesn't have to be distractors.)

Return to “Bob's mods”