[0.12.x][v0.12.10] Bob's Logistics mod

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

What should go where?

Poll ended at Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:41 pm

Add everything to the logistics mod
40%
Everything inserter related in the new inserters mod
30%
Only the new adjustment functionallity in the inserters mod
30%

Total votes: 30

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.11.22/0.12.x][v0.12.5] Bob's Logistics mod

Post by Neotix »

After installing tech mod i'm getting this error:

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.11.22/0.12.x][v0.12.5] Bob's Logistics mod

Post by bobingabout »

Neotix wrote:After installing tech mod i'm getting this error:
Different reason, but same ultimate reason...

for now those 2 mods arn't compatable, the reason being they're both trying to do the same thing 2 different ways, and because my mod is loaded first, but also changes things after, it doesn't work right.

I'll fix it when I can.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.11.22/0.12.x][v0.12.6] Bob's Logistics mod

Post by bobingabout »

The logistics mod hasn't been properly updated in quite some time, the only real updates being bug fixes, and minor updates. I thought it was time for a bit of attention, so I spent all day today working on it for quite a big update.
It has had a lot of the prerequisite holes filled, as well as a slight rework on robots production and research tree, as well as to conform to a lot of the newer features.
full list as follows.

Logistics 0.12.6:
* Functions update, Now requires library mod.
* Updated config structure
* Added missing technology prerequisites.
* Added Flying Robot Frame intermediates
* Cargo wagon size increased to reflect base game changes.
* Advanced Logistic and Construction Robotics research now unlocks the flying robot frame instead of roboport
* Molular Roboports research now unlock the roboport.
* Updated Russian Locale file.
I also have a Patreon.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Just updated and I have a question:
Do we really need this strange model where each better bot is built from frame and previous bot?
In this way we have 4 frames in Mk 4 bot.. which is silly.
Unless it's a special case to make them much more costly with higher marks.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

orzelek wrote:Just updated and I have a question:
Do we really need this strange model where each better bot is built from frame and previous bot?
In this way we have 4 frames in Mk 4 bot.. which is silly.
Unless it's a special case to make them much more costly with higher marks.
Lets just say more costly, but I'll continue.

It does seem silly, yes, I even considered making it so you don't need the previous tier, and instead make a robot from a frame and a "Brain" circuit. Costom built with electronics parts.
However... the robot frame cost is very similar to the old upgrade cost (plus a lot of "Time" or energy), so I left it as previous robot and an upgrade item, but instead of the parts to upgrade, a frame instead that costs similar. That and I kind of wanted to stick to the base game logic that to make something of a higher tier, you use the previous tier item and upgrade it.

The total difference in resources is +20 time, +2 circuits (the upgrade was only 1, the frame costs 3) and an engine.
Now, the engine doesn't seem like that great of an idea, but I plan to at some point make higher tier engines.

Actually, I was thinking of a Robots overhaul... I've already done the frames, those frames would also be useful for the Combat robots. So the question is... Do I duplicate certain useful things like Robot frames in Logistics and Warfare mod... or Add robot frames to MCI as intermediates... or create a new Robots Overhaul mod?

A few items, like Rubber and Resin are already in more than one mod (MCI and Electronics in this case) so as long as it's only a few items like the 3 Robot frames and technology to research them, I don't see much of a problem having those in 2 mods, but if it becomes more extensive, I'd want them in only one mod.
I also have a Patreon.

TrollofReason
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [0.11.22/0.12.x][v0.12.7] Bob's Logistics mod

Post by TrollofReason »

Quick, dirty little question submitted without any research, so forgive me, but I'm curious about improving the flow of robots. They seem to constantly bottleneck themselves trying to use robochests, area expanders, and roboports to recharge when they really should be using the larger charging pads. What would happen if the /chests, expanders, and 'ports didn't recharge and the only way for the robots to charge up was the charging pads? I mean, robots with no charge can still MOVE and be deployed, yes? Maybe? If the 'chest or 'port can't charge them, they'll be forced to use the more useful pads, and that would eliminate heavy bottlenecks, right?

Edit addendum: This... seems to work. I've brute-forced these conditions by using expanders, but denying them electricity, while putting pads nearby for bots to use, and they ignore the expander poles and instead recharge on the pads! Gonna try it with the robochests.

Edit addendum addendum: It's an extremely temporary fix. As the expanders and 'chests need power to even function, but the principle of forced use of the pads to avoid bottlenecks still seems to work.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

The reason why robochests and LZEs have charging ports at all was due to... issues. Before a robot will dock with a chest, it needs to fully charge first, and they try to charge at the roboport they're assigned to, so get stuck trying to charge at a robochest with no charging port. Similar issues with the LZE, occasionally a drone would queue to try and charge there but it had no ports.

HOWEVER, A more recent change to the game (Only a couple of versions ago (0.12.5 and 0.12.7)) made a robot optimisation where a robot can charge at a roboport it isn't assigned to, to prevent queue deadlocks with lots of robots trying to charge at the same port. This may allow me to change the robochest and LZE to not need charging ports. Remember, Robochests and LZEs are modified Roboports as far as the game is concerned.

I should probably give it a try again.
I also have a Patreon.

oLaudix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by oLaudix »

Installed it today along with Library and got this error: http://i.imgur.com/g6eZWSm.png

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

oLaudix wrote:Installed it today along with Library and got this error: http://i.imgur.com/g6eZWSm.png
Are you sure you're using 0.12.7, and didn't accidently install 0.1.7 for factorio 0.11.x?
that's one of the first errors that was fixed during the 0.12.0 overhaul.
I also have a Patreon.

oLaudix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by oLaudix »

Damn ... I just dled the one on the top thinking its the newest one ... sorry for the confusion.

Steejo
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Steejo »

Any chance of getting some express smart inserters? ;)

Outsider
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Outsider »

Steejo wrote:Any chance of getting some express smart inserters? ;)
NO that'd be too OP :shock:
Advanced Logistics System - Provides a detailed view of your logistics network and the items within it

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

That's one of those things where IF I did add it, it would be optional, and probably turned off by default, requiring the config mod to change the settings.

Trivia: when I was first programming the purple inserters, they were "Smart". I changed it after a few trial runs because I didn't like it.
I also have a Patreon.

Outsider
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Outsider »

bobingabout wrote:That's one of those things where IF I did add it, it would be optional, and probably turned off by default, requiring the config mod to change the settings.

Trivia: when I was first programming the purple inserters, they were "Smart". I changed it after a few trial runs because I didn't like it.
that woukd be great!

btw what don't you like about express smart inserter?
Advanced Logistics System - Provides a detailed view of your logistics network and the items within it

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

At the time it was because it was the only express inserter. I felt like it would be best to have a normal one because otherwise you would need to mess around setting filters for every inserter you placed just to get the fastest one. I also felt that I didn't want to add too many new inserters, and came up with the idea of "Smart vs Speed", a choice between one or the other. Again, if I did them, you would need the whole set of 8. That's a lot of inserters to add.

I've also been considering left and right side 90 degree inserters. If I did those, they would be limited to only Normal and maybe Long inserters, no near side, or long in short out combinations etc. They would be one of the variations themselves, which makes 12 in a set (left, long left, right and long right on top of the other 8).
I also have a Patreon.

Steejo
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Steejo »

Yeah that would be a lot of inserters to add to the game but then again, there already are an absolute tonne of inserters that you've added >< Except of course if you're meaning in terms of workload then I totally understand.

Buggi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Buggi »

Hey Steejo, love the AMASS series.

I, too, wish there was a smart line of express inserters. I understand his justification for not having them, but I have noticed if you use the very fast belts the mod has, then regular inserters can't 'catch' the items on the belt as they go by.
- Buggi -
Here's my Humble YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/FlexibleGames

voyta
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by voyta »

Outsider wrote:
Because God modules are totally balanced.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

voyta wrote:
Outsider wrote:
Well, God modules are optional.... I have been debating if it's a good idea having them turned on by default actually.

If I did add the express smart inserters, they'd be optional too.
I also have a Patreon.

cpw
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by cpw »

bobingabout wrote:
voyta wrote:
Outsider wrote:
Well, God modules are optional.... I have been debating if it's a good idea having them turned on by default actually.

If I did add the express smart inserters, they'd be optional too.
I think losing God modules from the base bobs setup would pretty much remove the main motivation for playing bobs, personally. They're a really good goal of a bobs run through..

Return to “Bob's mods”