[0.12.x][v0.12.10] Bob's Logistics mod

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

What should go where?

Poll ended at Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:41 pm

Add everything to the logistics mod
40%
Everything inserter related in the new inserters mod
30%
Only the new adjustment functionallity in the inserters mod
30%

Total votes: 30

Keridos
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [0.11.x][v0.1.7] Bob's Logistics mod

Post by Keridos »

In Multiplayer I get issues with the green conveyor belts, the underground ones jam completely when there is a maximum dense flow of items. No items get through until there is a bit more place between the items.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Keridos wrote:In Multiplayer I get issues with the green conveyor belts, the underground ones jam completely when there is a maximum dense flow of items. No items get through until there is a bit more place between the items.
Have your tried using version 0.1.7 that I posted yesterday, with a change that's supposed to fix that issue?

If this still happens in the latest version, there's nothing I can do to fix it, except wait for 0.12, the devs have completely re-written the way belts work for the next version.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Buggi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Buggi »

I love all the different types of inserters, it allows me to really control my factory. There was one specific set that I was finding my self needing but unable to find. Fast and express long armed near handed inserters. I hope I got that description right. Basically a long-armed inserter that would put items on the inside of the belt.

Would it be possible to streamline the crafting chain of all the inserters? The way it is now is very hard to create a good crafting setup. Like the express inserter should take the fast inserter, but all other express should need an express.

I still am amazed by how many gears it takes to get to the upper tier's. I had 60 electric furnaces pumping out iron plates and 6 T5 assemblers pumping out gears and it wasn't enough when I started making all the different belts, underground belts, and splitters.

Really great mod, I thoroughly enjoy watching items fly down the new faster belts.
- Buggi -
Here's my Humble YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/FlexibleGames

Takezu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Takezu »

The long-handed near inserters are the Far Handed inserters iirc.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Basically, the way the crafting is layed out is that you need the same type of output on the inserter from the previous tier to upgrade it to the express version of the same type. So, if you're trying to think of a good input chain, align them in blocks so the output of a near handed fast inserter feeds into the factory making a near handed express inserter.

Also, the types are as follows:
Near = 1 tile near side
Normal = 1 tile far side
Far = 2 tile near side. Though as the name would sugest, it's farther than normal
Long = 2 tile far side.

New names are welcome, as long as they make sense.
I also have a Patreon.

killwort
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by killwort »

In the translation to russian i've used numeric values instead of indistinguishable synonims, so inserter names look like "Fast inserter (1-2)" meaning fast inserter that takes item 1 tile away and puts it on the far side of 2nd tile. Fractional part (like "1-1.5") describes near side of the destination tile.

Buggi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Buggi »

There is a very minor issue with the MK4 storage tank. The tool-tip says capacity is 25000, but it only holds 10,000.

Like I said, very minor issue. :-)
- Buggi -

aklesey1
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aklesey1 »

Buggi wrote:There is a very minor issue with the MK4 storage tank. The tool-tip says capacity is 25000, but it only holds 10,000.

Like I said, very minor issue. :-)
I can say that we have some conflict with dytech storage tanks and bob storage tanks - from vr 1 to mk 4 we have bob storage tanks but mk 5 is from dytech, also we have the uneven usage of ingredients in these recipies - it is a pity that the dytech doesn't use bob invar and nitinol, but dytech uses cobalt (!) plates, and bob mods doesn't cobalt plates, I so often wrote about that already tired of all, but I try to respect the opinion of Bob
Nickname on ModPortal - Naron79

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

The reason why I don't use cobalt plates and DyTech does is that I'm using Realistic Cobalt, and he's using Mythical cobalt.

I do actually use Cobalt for something, and it's something realistic, for use in making alloys, so far only Cobalt Steel.
DyTech's use is based on Minecraft from what I can tell, and possibly even just a minecraft mod. But it could also be seen as part of the "Cobalt, Mythril, Adamantite" series of mythical metals. Much like in Terraria.

Having said that, we both use the same ore, so there is some compatabillity at least.
I also have a Patreon.

aklesey1
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aklesey1 »

Bob can u make storage tank MK5 with using tungsten? because dytech is using tungsten as high level ingridient
Nickname on ModPortal - Naron79

Takezu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Takezu »

Tungsten is used in both Multi-purpose Furnaces. When that issn't high end use... i don't know what is.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I have 4 T4 materials. Titanium, Tungsten, Ceramic and Electrum. Tungsten is used in my "heat proof" chains, storage tanks don't need to be heat proof, therefore I didn't use Tungsten for storage tanks.

I have 3 T5 materials, Nitinol, Tungsten Carbide and Copper Tungsten Alloy.
Since I'd go the non-tungsten route, the most logical material for the construction of a T5 storage tank would be Nitinol.

Therefore the chain would naturally go Iron, Steel, Invar, Titanium, Nitinol.

Since the first level of storage tank uses Steel, the MK1 storage tank is already T2 level, so MK2 is T3 and uses Invar, MK3 is T4 and uses Titanium, and Mk4 is T5 and uses Nitinol.
I also have a Patreon.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

For me the strange thing is that each mark requires lower mark.

For tanks thats like you would take iron one and then layer it with all the metals.. or build around it or something :D

I know thats the "main" approach here but it would be nice if higher marks would be created from their own materials only. And I realize it makes problem with leftovers that we can't really recycle atm. DyTech also makes it silly due to frames - higher mark stuff is built on top of a lot of those from old versions.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I do understand and agree with what you're saying, when we have a full nitinol research and production facillity up and running, why can't we just build a full nitinol tank?
The mean reason... well, thats how a lot of the mechanics in factorio work at the moment, the next version is made by using the previous as a component. there are very few cases when this isn't true, and there's a whole debate about if they should.

So to keep with the existing factorio style, I used the following model:
All Entities, or final products should use a previous generation in it's construction
All Intermediates and resources should use only the logical parts to make them.

Using this model, I avoid scenarios such as a MK1 blade -> MK2 blade -> MK3 blade -> MK4 blade used as a component in a machine that required a MK1 blade + MK2 blade + MK3 blade to construct in the first place.

One of the things I was actually considering with some of my chains is... okay, I used Iron Gears to make the first version, and I'm going to use Steel gears to make the second. Do the steel gears replace the iron gears? Perhaps the recipe should returned the replaced Iron gears.
The main issue there though is that you end up taking A LOT of things back out of the machine, and it gets messy.
I also have a Patreon.

Buggi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Buggi »

I might be alone in my thinking, but I don't understand that sort of chaining of products. When products are made companies do not make a complete product, then use that to craft a better one. Sometimes they use components that are shared. Car companies often use the same basic chassis or engines in different models. But Ford doesn't build a Fiesta, then use that to build a Focus, which then gets turned into a Fusion.

The one reason that I DO like this re-use of products is to prevent a huge pileup of old unused items.
- Buggi -

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Buggi wrote:The one reason that I DO like this re-use of products is to prevent a huge pileup of old unused items.
thats pretty much the reason why it exists in base game, and therefore I kept it as the standard model in my mod.
I also have a Patreon.

Takezu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Takezu »

The upgrading thing is somthing that getz me myself often... i'd prefer to disassemble the older machines rather then chaining 6 assemblers just to make the thing that i want.

I don't know much about LUA or modding, so writing a mod myself for that purpose is out of question, honestly i think the base game itself should go that route rather then the upgrade thing.
As for tanks, its silly as it is, you don't get magically more Volume in the same space by using a new Metal, not to mention the "Layersystem", bigger tanks would have to be bigger entitys. But before anyone yells at me i know that this is a game and somwhere the realworld influence has to stop for the gameplays sake.
A side from the fact that i'd have big trouble with bigger Tanks in my crampt setups.

And as a side note: Apart from the fact that a Tungsten 3000K-hightemprature Tank to store cold water is more than silly, doing it while someone other does it is equally silly.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

You could also imagine that using a better material allows you to build the structure taller. unfortnately I'm not that good at graphics, so wouldn't be able to do a very good job of doing that, so it just looks like it's the same size.
I also have a Patreon.

Takezu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Takezu »

I don't give much about fancy graphics, a cookiejar is a cookiejar eqally if it's a tin-lined case or a fancy Box.
Didn't really thought about the height on the other hand, thats a good point.

That said it's hard to distinguish the tiers from each other, maybe me but to me most times the tiers look
all the same. Could you recolour the different tiers? Like you did with the pipes, coloured like the base metal that its made of.
Don't know if i'm missing it if thats case now, but to me particulary the Tanks Solarpanels and some other stuff are indistinguishable
from tier to tier without hovering about it with the coursor an reading what it is.

By the way, i'm loving the tungstenpipes. It's complet nonsens but i've changed all pipes to tungsten only for the colour.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I should be able to do that.
I also have a Patreon.

Return to “Bob's mods”