[0.12.x][v0.12.10] Bob's Logistics mod

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

What should go where?

Poll ended at Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:41 pm

Add everything to the logistics mod
40%
Everything inserter related in the new inserters mod
30%
Only the new adjustment functionallity in the inserters mod
30%

Total votes: 30

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.11.22/0.12.x][v0.12.7] Bob's Logistics mod

Post by bobingabout »

cpw wrote:
bobingabout wrote:
voyta wrote:Because God modules are totally balanced.
Well, God modules are optional.... I have been debating if it's a good idea having them turned on by default actually.

If I did add the express smart inserters, they'd be optional too.
I think losing God modules from the base bobs setup would pretty much remove the main motivation for playing bobs, personally. They're a really good goal of a bobs run through..
They'd still be there, you'd just have to use config to turn them back on. Besides, I said Debating it, I didn't say I was actually going to do it.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

cpw
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by cpw »

bobingabout wrote:
cpw wrote:
bobingabout wrote:
voyta wrote:Because God modules are totally balanced.
Well, God modules are optional.... I have been debating if it's a good idea having them turned on by default actually.

If I did add the express smart inserters, they'd be optional too.
I think losing God modules from the base bobs setup would pretty much remove the main motivation for playing bobs, personally. They're a really good goal of a bobs run through..
They'd still be there, you'd just have to use config to turn them back on. Besides, I said Debating it, I didn't say I was actually going to do it.
I will bet only 10% of players will ever play anything other than the default configured state. ;)

If it's configured and off by default, I will guarantee you almost no one will ever experience it.

crysanja
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by crysanja »

maybe configuration could be part of the resource config at the beginning of the game?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

crysanja wrote:maybe configuration could be part of the resource config at the beginning of the game?
Due to the way items are defined on load... not possible. I do like the idea of an ingame config though, Like TTDPatch and OpenTTD, mods for thoes games (They use the same mods) have config options, very similar to what I've done with my mods, just selectable in game. (At least they're selectable ingame in openttd)

Perhaps I should sugest it.
I also have a Patreon.

TrollofReason
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TrollofReason »

Heylu! Another uninformed thought on the robot pile-up problem. Why not have the posts and the chests capable of recharging multiple 'bots like the roboports do? Maybe 4 per post, and 3 per chest? It would be a self-balancing solution, since A) these improved posts and chests would be more expensive to produce, B) it would substantially increase overall power demand in robo-centric factories, that C) lead to more potentially catastrophic demand spikes without accumulators and water tanks in place to handle that sort of thing. So it would fix the problem, and reward good factory infrastructure and planning - an elegant solution, no? I'm aware it would render the charging stations obsolete, but that wouldn't be that big of a loss because the robots don't use them that often, anyway, which is the underlying problem to begin with.

AncientCulture
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by AncientCulture »

Hi Bob,

looks like there is an issue in your migration script or I'm just blind ;)

I updated bobslogitics from 0.12.5 to 0.12.7. It does look like the new intermediate robot frames are missing for crafting.

Can you please have a look?

Many thanks and keep the great work,
AncientCulture

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Migration script boblogistics_0.12.6 contains the following extract:

Code: Select all

if force.technologies["bob-robotics-1"].researched then
    force.recipes["flying-robot-frame-2"].enabled = true
  end

if force.technologies["bob-robotics-2"].researched then
    force.recipes["flying-robot-frame-3"].enabled = true
  end

if force.technologies["bob-robotics-3"].researched then
    force.recipes["flying-robot-frame-4"].enabled = true
  end
This is what is supposed to turn on the robot frames. I'm fairly sure it worked in my old game, because they are unlocked for me.

however, this was in Factorio 0.12.10, not the latest, I'm not sure if 0.12.11 breaks anything script related.
I also have a Patreon.

AncientCulture
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by AncientCulture »

thanks for the quick reply

I see... Any idea how I could fix this or how I can support to debug this?

I'm not familiar with lua, but I can program in other languages like python or go... So no worries to throw some advanced stuff on me ;)

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Assuming they are actually missing, and you're not just looking in the wrong place (They're on my intermediates tab, not the base game's intermediate tab, so MK1 is in one tab, MK2 to 4 are on another tab) you can forefully turn them on with the following commands. in the factorio ingame console.

Code: Select all

/c game.player.force.recipes["flying-robot-frame-2"].enabled = true
/c game.player.force.recipes["flying-robot-frame-3"].enabled = true
/c game.player.force.recipes["flying-robot-frame-4"].enabled = true
I also have a Patreon.

AncientCulture
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by AncientCulture »

Now they are shown, many thanks :)

TrollofReason
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TrollofReason »

Is it... possible for there to be an ultra-heavy storage option? Like, say, an automated warehouse that requires titanium to produce, is 5x5, but holds 125 storage chests worth of stuff because it's not all a flat layer of chests? To keep it balanced, it could cost something like 75 storage chests, 5 passive providers, 20 requesters, and as many electronic logic boards and titanium components and other bobs as you deem fit. I'm aware that the storage screen would probably be so huge that no one would be able to find anything for all of the blank slots, but who cares? There's so much storage space! And god module 5s kinda demand lots of storage for ore/basic plate production.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I'm not sure something that big that holds that much is a good idea, but I probably should make some sort of bigger chests. I was thinking about that the other day actually. my logistic storage area is basically 6 46x46 fields of storage chests (The grid area between roboport MK1s), and I'm running out of space. Something bigger for storage would be a good idea.
I also have a Patreon.

UberWaffe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by UberWaffe »

Just as a note on storage entities with very-very high slot counts.
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 90#p111890

My attempt to implement something like that (no scripting involved) resulted in very noticeable lag.

TrollofReason
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TrollofReason »

Well, bigger chests would be nice. I started off with 6 5x5 chest clusters, and the moment I started using god module 5s to maximize ore production they filled up REALLY fast. I think, ultimately, I had somewhere around 1.4-5k in storage chests filling up with millions of iron and copper plates, cobalt oxide, gems, gold ore and gold plate, silver ore and silver plate, alumina, titanium and rutile, and the various odds and ends that accumulate from a long-long-long game. Still wasn't enough once productivity started ramping up, and I was making 328.6k in iron plate every minute. Have you seen what 52.6 million iron plate looks like? Because I have! Granted, I also d*cked around for a solid five hours trying to work out supply chains for various things, and experiment with factory layouts, and some of the newer features in the mod-pack, but the issue for more storage remains the same.

djnekkid
Inserter
Inserter

Post by djnekkid »

Hello Bob!

I've been playing with your mod for a while now (about 60hrs in my current game, and some 20 in the prev. one). And ive been wondering, would it be possible to attach a wire to the robochests (or even a roboport?).

The reason I ask is, because on my current game I have a "supply train" that goes from base to base (external mining bases) with supplies, like
replacement lasers
replacement powerpylons
repair packs
it also include replacement repair bots, but I do not need a mk1 chest worth of bots, a simple stack of 50 (or even lower) would suffice.

Perhaps a "one stack" robochest would also suffice?

Otherwise AWESOME mod! Really makes the game fun (again).

Cheers, DJ

kinnom
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kinnom »

no yes yes no yes no yes yes

djnekkid
Inserter
Inserter

Post by djnekkid »

that _could_ be an idea...

I guess what we _really_ need is this functinallity in the base game, and not in a mod, that mods mods :P

MakiabelMFE
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by MakiabelMFE »

Hey bob, I gotta say I've been having a lot of fun with all of your mods!. However, I've been wondering if it would be possible to add express smart inserters, since when needing to filter for certain items (towards the "end game" per-se), I find that smart inserters simply slow down things compared to normal express inserters.
Maybe I just missed them though, but if not, it seems like a pretty nice addition!.

Also, I've been using the pipes information chart in the OP, that info is still current to the latest version?.

Thanks!

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

MakiabelMFE wrote:Hey bob, I gotta say I've been having a lot of fun with all of your mods!. However, I've been wondering if it would be possible to add express smart inserters, since when needing to filter for certain items (towards the "end game" per-se), I find that smart inserters simply slow down things compared to normal express inserters.
Maybe I just missed them though, but if not, it seems like a pretty nice addition!.

Also, I've been using the pipes information chart in the OP, that info is still current to the latest version?.

Thanks!
There are no express smart inserters. There has been some talk about me adding them though.
And the pipes information is correct, however the copper/bronze/brass pipes cause an "unstable simulation" with their reduced capacity (fluids bounce from one end of the pipe to the other at high speeds), so I was considering changing the values. They are still useful for "thick" fluids though, like cruid/heavy oil and tungstic acid, because the lower capacity of the pipe makes them flow as normal fluids flow in normal pipe.
I also have a Patreon.

MakiabelMFE
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by MakiabelMFE »

bobingabout wrote: There are no express smart inserters. There has been some talk about me adding them though.
And the pipes information is correct, however the copper/bronze/brass pipes cause an "unstable simulation" with their reduced capacity (fluids bounce from one end of the pipe to the other at high speeds), so I was considering changing the values. They are still useful for "thick" fluids though, like cruid/heavy oil and tungstic acid, because the lower capacity of the pipe makes them flow as normal fluids flow in normal pipe.
Thanks for answering!. I see what you mean about the small sized pipes, liquids tend to get from one place to another much more quickly in long distance but if used very close to the source they seem to zip around so quickly it looks like it's going back and forth.
And about the express smart inserters, since it has been talked about before, did you had some worries (balance?) about adding them? doesn't seem like they would make a big impact besides the obvious problem of having to add them to the code and work on the graphic :P.

Return to “Bob's mods”