Pleeeease do something about picking up Alien loot!

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

OzHawkeye
Inserter
Inserter

Pleeeease do something about picking up Alien loot!

Post by OzHawkeye »

Hello,

I've searched for a mod that might be able to help here, but alas, no luck.

Factorio is a nearly perfect game I reckon (though I play with Bobs mods), but there's one thing that is REALLY starting to impact on my enjoyment, and that's having to run around like a chook with its head cut off picking up all the alien artefacts left on the ground after combat.

Particularly towards late game, looting takes FAR longer than the actual combat did, and since the loot is damned hard to see against a background of dead aliens, I find it utterly impossible to get it all, instead having to remember to go back some time later after all the bodies have been removed to see what I missed.

If there's a mod that'll extend the auto-pickup range (I've tried Long Reach without success) I'd love to hear about it, I've looked through the Mod library and couldn't see anything, but Devs, please, please, please, before you declare 1.0, please make loot a WHOLE lot easier!

Thanks. :-)

sathill
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Pleeeease do something about picking up Alien loot!

Post by sathill »

Alien artifacts are gone with version 0.15 i think. Just update factorio to new version.

ManaUser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ManaUser »

Yeah, that hasn't been part of the game in ages. Either you're still playing a very old version, or it's one of your mods.

You can configure a deconstruction planner to select only items on the ground though, if that helps. Send your bots to pick up the loot.

OzHawkeye
Inserter
Inserter

Post by OzHawkeye »

Really? Wow, well, I use Bob mods, and there's artefacts galore.

That's really disappointing to hear, cause it means there's likely no fix, short of ditching Bobs mods which I wouldn't want to do.

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

He clearly stated he's using Bob's mods, which is something the developers obviously won't be catering to.

Honestly, you can disable small artifacts and still get all your warfare tech just from killing nests alone. It saves not only your sanity, but also reduces the size of the save file and eliminates the cluttered mess left everywhere you go. They also become entirely useless after the tech is researched, so it only further serves to clutter the map with crap if you leave it enabled.

OzHawkeye
Inserter
Inserter

Post by OzHawkeye »

Ok, I might give that a go.

A shame really, if the auto-pickup range were just a (lot) higher, it wouldn't be an issue, but you just about have to run right over the top of the things.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Why not use personal robots, and the deconstruction planner to make your bots collect whatever's on the ground ? Should work for Bob's alien artifacts too.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Griggers
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Griggers »

If you use the nano bots mod you can give your logistic network the option to pick up items on the floor inside the contstruction area.

The are also mods that gives an auto loot chest which gives a more cheaty but more UPS friendly way of picking up loot items. This also has the advantage of not having to pick up items when base clearing.

I was glad they removed artifacts in 0.15 because I just hated having to pick them up.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Natural Evolution Buildings includes item picker chest that will slwoly pick up items around it.
I think I have also seen item picker mod separately on mod portal somewhere.

OzHawkeye
Inserter
Inserter

Post by OzHawkeye »

Just tried QoL research, that didn't affect it, so will try the others in turn as well. (Also Long Reach mod doesn't affect it either). Thanks for the replies all though. :-) I've got a thread going in Bobs Mod forum where I'll go through them all.

OzHawkeye
Inserter
Inserter

Post by OzHawkeye »

In case anyone comes back to this thread later, I found the "Loot Chest" mod. Works perfectly, place the chest down it scans surrounding chunks (out to a fair distance too), and automagically picks up the artefacts.

Obviously, not required for the base game - it shows how long since I've played the base game that I didn't know they took out alien artefacts in A15... hehe.

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

Koub wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:35 am
Why not use personal robots, and the deconstruction planner to make your bots collect whatever's on the ground ? Should work for Bob's alien artifacts too.

It is tedious work which takes very much time, if you clear several square kilometers and get tens of thousands of artifacts. Bob's fast bots and powerful armors and fusion reactors make things little bit better than weak vanilla personal construction tools, but I use always commands to clear items on ground. I do not remember it now, but you find it easily with google. Or I can check at evening, if I remember. I used it just in my current game with production scrap mod.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Anyway, seeing this is a specific to a Bob's mods game issue, I'll move this to Bob's mods subforum.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

OzHawkeye wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:48 am
Hello,

If there's a mod that'll extend the auto-pickup range (I've tried Long Reach without success) I'd love to hear about it, I've looked through the Mod library and couldn't see anything, but Devs, please, please, please, before you declare 1.0, please make loot a WHOLE lot easier!

This question was asked recently.
An answer was given. See linked post.

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=67819#p413600
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

OzHawkeye
Inserter
Inserter

Post by OzHawkeye »

bobingabout wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:00 pm
OzHawkeye wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:48 am
Hello,

This question was asked recently.
An answer was given. See linked post.

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=67819#p413600
Ayup, it was me who asked (and eventually answered) the question.... hehe.

Loot Chest works wonders. I've since tested its range a little and it's pretty extreme. I reckon I could just leave it in my base and go blasting. I'm now into the late-game, decked out in all the best armour, weapons etc, so I'm literally just walking through the bases (at 4 exoskeletons speed) and the personal laser defenses are just one shotting everything, so this Loot Chest has been a godsend.

Oh, and thanks for the mods Bob. I don't think I could go back to playing the base game, and hadn't in so long I didn't even know they took out alien loot from it like a couple of Alpha's ago. You made Factorio shine! Well done!

Base is now launching a satellite every 12 seconds (5 rpm), and I'm just plodding through the endless research tree of mining productivity, worker speed, cargo size, filter bonuses etc.

Edit: I've also only just noticed, the mods moved my other thread to this room. I created that original thread in GD, because, at the time, I didn't know they'd removed Alien loot in A15.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

OzHawkeye wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:30 pm
I've also only just noticed, the mods moved my other thread to this room. I created that original thread in GD, because, at the time, I didn't know they'd removed Alien loot in A15.
Understandable. It's why I quoted the original so you could find it. I didn't realise you posted the other thread too.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Return to “Bob's mods”