[0.12.x][v0.12.6] Bob's Electronics

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

Should this mod add the new Bob style electronics as stand alone?

Poll ended at Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:25 pm

Move the electronics out of Bob's MCI into Bob's Electronics mod (Renamed from Electronics Overide) (The mod Adds my electronics, and sets the overides)
73%
Leave it as is (Can only be used with Bob's MCI)
27%

Total votes: 11

Yinan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [0.11.22/0.12.x][v0.12.6] Bob's Electronics

Post by Yinan »

And that Idea is ok, but don't just add wood to [b[everything[/b] then!
That's the main problem I have with that, that nearly everything now needs those basic circuits, which in turn need wood (which doesn't make much sense, but whatever, I can live with that).
So you need wood for basically everything, which is extremely bad.
This is overkill if you just wanted to have a use for wood for the whole game.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Take a look at mod named Greenhouse. It's a small mod that allows easy tree growing at a cost (in energy).
For more fancy stuff there is a treefarm mod.

Yinan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Yinan »

You don't seem to understand what I'm talking about.
I shouldn't even need another mod for that!
At least it should be noted down in the recommendations that some kind of "automatic tree farming mod" should be installed if you don't want to go insane with this mod at the beginning.

GreatAlucard
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by GreatAlucard »

Saying that there are trees around that we can chop when talking about factorio is simplistic, to say the least. It is the same as saying there is copper around, mine it with your pickaxe thing because you can't automate it (The amount of both that you use early on is comparable so I would say that was a little uncalled for).

Everyone is able to understand that post plastics it is possible to automate it, albeit with significantly increased factory sizes and hassle on automation (why the necessity of the frame for circuit boards on a separate crafting process when the final product could just need wood and be done with it (same as in the original game iron being present and no a sub product frame of it)), but that is a problem as much as it is a boon (more of a personal preference, of course).

Saying that you could download another mod to do that is again, problematic, if anything, integrating wood farming on this part of the mod could solve many problems, as it would assure that no incompatibility would happen when only one or the other updates for example (among other issues being prevented)

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Yes, wood is a complicated one, you always either have too much, or too little.

There is plans for better wood management, but I'm basically on break from factorio modding for now.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

KERBALATOR
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [0.12.x][v0.12.6] Bob's Electronics

Post by KERBALATOR »

can you make a version with the vanila recipe's but the higher lvl ones can stay to same? (maybe make them easier to make) its a pain to automate bobs mods circuits and almost every bobs addon requires them :cry:

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

KERBALATOR wrote:can you make a version with the vanila recipe's but the higher lvl ones can stay to same? (maybe make them easier to make) its a pain to automate bobs mods circuits and almost every bobs addon requires them :cry:
Actually, with the way my mods are written, my electronics ITEMS = basegame electronics items, therefore, for most mods, if you just don't install the bob's electronics module, it will work. The extra tier of electronics, what I call the Processing board is added by bobplates (Bobs Metals, Chemicals and Intermediates mod aka MCI) in the form of an Advanced Processing Unit. (The same item name as in DyTech, but with a different recipe.)

The only one that really depends on my electronics to make sense currently is the modules mod. The Modules mod will still work without my electronics mod, except the recipes will be re-written. it will use completed boards to make module boards, rather than just the components.
I also have a Patreon.

seronis
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by seronis »

Might consider changing the recipe for lamps to either use the lower tier board, or even more sensibly just use wire and glass. Seems un-intuitive to me that light bulbs (even big ones) need the infrastructure required before you make those 2nd tier boards.

eudel
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by eudel »

Hi, thanks for this cool mod.
Im using it with german language and found a problem with the locale file. its ANSI encoded but needs to be UTF-8.

I corrected the file encoding, here is the working locale file for german
Attachments
bobelectronics.cfg
corrected german locale file
(1.16 KiB) Downloaded 116 times

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

eudel wrote:Hi, thanks for this cool mod.
Im using it with german language and found a problem with the locale file. its ANSI encoded but needs to be UTF-8.

I corrected the file encoding, here is the working locale file for german
The locale mod file is wrong, or the "It shouldn't exist in this mod anymore but I havn't got around to updating the mod after deleting it yet" locale file is wrong?
I also have a Patreon.

eudel
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by eudel »

bobingabout wrote:The locale mod file is wrong, or the "It shouldn't exist in this mod anymore but I havn't got around to updating the mod after deleting it yet" locale file is wrong?
the one included with the mod inside the locale/de folder

im also updating the locale files of your other mods tomorrow, some have missing strings, lead ore has a misleading translation (made me running half an hour around the map not finding lead ore) and the mining mod hat the german locale file from the ore mod incloded

i will post the updated language files in their appropriate topic so you can include them if you want

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

eudel wrote:
bobingabout wrote:The locale mod file is wrong, or the "It shouldn't exist in this mod anymore but I havn't got around to updating the mod after deleting it yet" locale file is wrong?
the one included with the mod inside the locale/de folder

im also updating the locale files of your other mods tomorrow, some have missing strings, lead ore has a misleading translation (made me running half an hour around the map not finding lead ore) and the mining mod hat the german locale file from the ore mod incloded

i will post the updated language files in their appropriate topic so you can include them if you want
The appropriate place is to update the locale mod github archive.
The person in charge of maintaining updates is the person who started the locale mod topic.
I also have a Patreon.

elementgermanium
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by elementgermanium »

Change the textures... i beg of you

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

elementgermanium wrote:Change the textures... i beg of you
You mean the icon graphics of the electronic boards?
I also have a Patreon.

Darloth
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Darloth »

There's these, if you think you'd like them better. viewtopic.php?f=51&t=6496&start=60#p100480

I might have something I almost finished for the green ones as well but I thought they looked quite good personally so I didn't fiddle with green or up much.

Those tend to look a bit better on belts, and I have (somewhere) graphics for the base boards as well. I really ought to actually package them and put them somewhere on this subforum just in case people do want them, make them easier to install. I could I guess even make them an actual mod. But, for now, they're free for anyone to use to replace Bob's stuff, just as long as Bobingabout is happy with you doing so (as they're a derivative work they are basically his - but he didn't seem to mind last time I posted them).

Just let me know if you'd like me to dig out the rest and package them somewhere.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I have no problems with it.

And I just keep forgetting all the alternate versions of my electronics people have posted.
I also have a Patreon.

jevon
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by jevon »

Here are some shifted images based off the original game to replace some of the icons, they look and feel much better I think.

To install locally, copy them into mods/bobelectronics_xxx/graphics/icons.
Attachments
icons.zip
(19.91 KiB) Downloaded 116 times

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

jevon wrote:Here are some shifted images based off the original game to replace some of the icons, they look and feel much better I think.

Well these are mostly vanilla icons or changed color icons.
They don't show the manufacturing progress in the circuit.
Basic circuit is copper wire and wooden board an the bob's icon shows this sufficently.
The more advanced circuits icons also shows more details which give a bit reword for the hard work to get them.

Greetings steinio

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Chreutz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Chreutz »

I made these icons today, if anyone is interested. They're made to be recognizable for both vanilla and bob's-players.

EDIT: corrected an issue with a white translucent shape behind the basic circuit board.
Attachments
icons.zip
(19.13 KiB) Downloaded 123 times

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Airat9000 »

jevon wrote:Here are some shifted images based off the original game to replace some of the icons, they look and feel much better I think.

ooo fine thank you ..
just I thought I would replace a well-icons
:D thanks!

ооо отлично спасибо..
только подумал хорошо бы заменить значки

Return to “Bob's mods”