[0.12.x][v0.12.6] Bob's Electronics

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

Should this mod add the new Bob style electronics as stand alone?

Poll ended at Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:25 pm

Move the electronics out of Bob's MCI into Bob's Electronics mod (Renamed from Electronics Overide) (The mod Adds my electronics, and sets the overides)
73%
Leave it as is (Can only be used with Bob's MCI)
27%

Total votes: 11

bbgun06
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [0.11.x][v0.1.3]Electronics Overide

Post by bbgun06 »

I've never really used solid fuel. There's always an abundance of coal, even on a map with sparse resources. And generally I start switching to solar power before my power needs get enormous. So coal will only be used for making plastic and carbon and stuff like that. Also, after this picture was taken we switched to making resin and wood from heavy oil.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

bbgun06 wrote:I've never really used solid fuel. There's always an abundance of coal, even on a map with sparse resources. And generally I start switching to solar power before my power needs get enormous. So coal will only be used for making plastic and carbon and stuff like that. Also, after this picture was taken we switched to making resin and wood from heavy oil.
Yup, SAVE THE TREES!!!
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

DiamondGrace
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by DiamondGrace »

Hi,

I speak english bad, but i will try. I've a question. There is a "Basic Circuit Board"
basic-circuit-board.png
basic-circuit-board.png (278 Bytes) Viewed 6071 times
that replase electronic-circuit
electronic-circuit.png
electronic-circuit.png (1.77 KiB) Viewed 6071 times
, and "Basic Electronic Circuit Board"
basic-electronic-circuit-board.png
basic-electronic-circuit-board.png (317 Bytes) Viewed 6071 times
that can be producet, but not used in other recipes.
I think second must replace electronic-circuit, not first by analogy with the later recipes ("Electronic Circuit Board" replace advanced-circuit, not "Circuit Board")

DiamondGrace
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by DiamondGrace »

Well, I hope i fix it, as much as i understand (i'm not a programmer)
bobelecoveride_0.1.3.zip
(5.1 KiB) Downloaded 296 times

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

It's like that for a reason. and I have explained this several times before.

To be able to build a "Basic Electronic Circuit Board" you first need to make things that require the old Electronic Circuit to make, therefore if you replace it with the Basic Electronic Circuit Board you get stuck in a situation where you need to make Basic Electronic Circuit Board before you can make them.

There are actually a few things that do need the Basic Electronic Circuit Board to make, but not many. I thought I would make more use of them than I have.
I also have a Patreon.

DiamondGrace
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by DiamondGrace »

Why should not you just rebalance recipes for Offshore Pump and Lab, so they not requair Electronic Circuit?

It will make game start little less user frendly, but more interesting in futher play i think.

DiamondGrace
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by DiamondGrace »

I made the above changes, but because of inexperience (I use only intuition writing LUA scripts) faced a number of shortcomings.
1. You mod recipes as usual require Basic Circuit Board, not Basic Electronic Circuit Board
2. I got two same recipes called "Electronic Circuit" in produce window
In other, play with all you mods, and i like it very much. At last you mod pack is best i found.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Originally, I had bobplates (Bob's Metals and Chemicals mod) and Bob's Intermediates mod. Bobplates would add the abillity to create new raw materials, with all the machines required to make them, then Bob's Intermediates would make intermediates from those raw materials.

This was changed during the progress of 0.10 when I added higher tier production machines to Bobplates, there was no way to be able to use intermediates added in another mod unless that mod was loaded first. in the case of Intermediates, these were made from items in bobplates, so needed to be loaded after it, meaning the only way to use those intermediates to make the machines, was to make it all part of one large mod. Bob's Intermediates mod was merged into Bob's Metals and Chemicals mod, and Bob's Metals, Chemicals and Intermediates was born.

This all changed in 0.11 with the introduction of data-updates.lua and data-final-fixes.lua to allow you to load the mods in phases, allowing you to change recipes depending on what items existed in mods loaded AFTER it. so the reason for merging Intermediates into Metals and Chemicals mod no longer exists.

The question becomes... do I undo the damage? Do I seperate the intermediates from bobplates? Part of this is already in progress, The pipes have been copied into my Logistics mod, and will be removed from MCI in the next major update.
Should I continue the effort of undoing the damage and remove the other intermediates from MCI and make them part of their own mod?

I also have an Electronics based mod, This one, So the main question at this time is, Should I do the same thing I did with Electronics, and move them out into this Electronics overide mod?
Some intermediates are already defined within the mod designed to use them, such as roboport parts defined in the logistics mod, and ammo parts defined in the warfare mod. The widely used, yet rather generic intermediates such as Gears and Bearings could be defined either within an intermediates mod, Defined multiple times within the mods that would use them, or just left in plates mod.

TL;DR
The big question right now is just the electronics, the whole electronics chain, should I move it? There's a pole, go vote.
I also have a Patreon.

Takezu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Takezu »

Woulden'T i in the end rely on MCI? or are you planning to move the materials as well? because that would in my eyes make no sense.

I don'T know but for me it looks like only a new name for the same child.
If you see any benefit from it i'd sa go for it, but when in the end its almost, if not exactly the same, why bother?

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Actually - could you look into making the electronics a bit more gradual?

Currently there are the basic ones and after them there is this huge gap in terms of techs/effort required. And after you go through it steps for next electronics are really small. I tried to think about possible solution for this but current model is quite logical so it's a bit difficult to make the gap between basic and electronic circuit board smaller.
Only thing I could think of would be making electronic circuits only from basic electronic components but it doesn't help that much in gap reduction - it's a potential first step towards it.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

When Electronics were part of Intermediates mod before the merge, the electronics could be built entirely with base game materials. Etching was done using Sulfuric acid instead of Ferric Chloride for example, Coal instead of Carbon, etc.

Therefore, it is entirely possible to make the electronics mod not depend on MCI, and just use apropriate materials if they are available, or fall back on an equivelent base game material if they are not, similar to how my Modules mod works.
I also have a Patreon.

Takezu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Takezu »

If thats doable then i would say go for it.

I personally enjoy the chemicals, even if they gave me more than one headache, but i suppose others might enjoying the electronics
without the extras.

Lee_newsum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lee_newsum »

i would like to pont out some over think at this pint there is 9 sub mods. some of them need MCI to work and some not. you can do that all in one mod (but i no not all peaple like all parts).
1) is 9 sub mods more work do than 1 big one
2) i would think one big one would be lest code over all
3) for the pealpe that do not like it all you can/have done in the config.lua stop parts thay do not like.
4) wold you think of making it on to 1 big mod
5) just because the over mods did it you did you? (DyTech is 4 mods pack, Yuoki Industries is one) so what do you think?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I actually had my mod as modules before DyTech started doing it. Treefarm has also split his mod into 2 parts since then too.

There is not much extra work in making it several small ones, and very little extra code, the only extra code required is in the "If this item exists, use that, else use this" stuff, which isn't much work at all, it's just deciding what items you want to actually use.
I also have a Patreon.

metalearza
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by metalearza »

there seems to be a bug where even if i got a lot of raw wood or wooden board, it won't let me craft the basic circuit board. as you can see i got 444 wooden boards but the floating tooltip shows 0/1xwooden board. i think it only happens when you got the synthetic wooden board unlocked.

Lee_newsum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lee_newsum »

metalearza wrote:there seems to be a bug where even if i got a lot of raw wood or wooden board, it won't let me craft the basic circuit board. as you can see i got 444 wooden boards but the floating tooltip shows 0/1xwooden board. i think it only happens when you got the synthetic wooden board unlocked.

What is in your invitee 444 of raw wood Imageor 444 wooden boards?
if raw wood you need to make it in to wooden Image then into Basic circuit board.
the bug is there is 2 ways to get "wooden boards" what one dues the computer use?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Basically... A bug that if the Recipe to use Synthetic wood exists, it will try to use that recipe instead of the wood recipe, and it won't build anything.

I'm thinking of a few fixes for possible future releases.
I also have a Patreon.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

I added separate save file to bug report thats present about it.
I don't think there was an answer there yet.

aklesey1
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aklesey1 »

Question about treefam chain - can you replace nitorgen from treefarm on your nitrogen
Treefam uses barrel with liquid nitrogen and as i know it can be possible to feel bob nitrogen for barrels
Nickname on ModPortal - Naron79

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I was actually thinking of adding a Nitrogen -> Liquid Nitrogen conversion. But I Haven't yet since I haven't installed treefarm on my new 0.12
I also have a Patreon.

Return to “Bob's mods”