[0.12.x][v0.12.6] Bob's Electronics

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

Should this mod add the new Bob style electronics as stand alone?

Poll ended at Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:25 pm

Move the electronics out of Bob's MCI into Bob's Electronics mod (Renamed from Electronics Overide) (The mod Adds my electronics, and sets the overides)
73%
Leave it as is (Can only be used with Bob's MCI)
27%

Total votes: 11

cpw
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [0.11.22/0.12.x][v0.12.2] Bob's Electronics

Post by cpw »

Hi Bob
An observation on the tech tree changes... It seems that basic robots research is now gated behind "Advanced Electronics 2" and therefore blue science packs, despite the fact almost all the other research is still red/green only. Is this deliberate? It seems very annoying to gate such a core game mechanic so far down the tree (esp with the huge amount of additional investment to get blue packs going)... Nothing else that depends on advanced electronics 2 is early game tech in a similar manner.

I have reverted this change locally, because I think it's exceptionally unpleasant and breaks a core mechanic very badly IMO.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

cpw wrote:Hi Bob
An observation on the tech tree changes... It seems that basic robots research is now gated behind "Advanced Electronics 2" and therefore blue science packs, despite the fact almost all the other research is still red/green only. Is this deliberate? It seems very annoying to gate such a core game mechanic so far down the tree (esp with the huge amount of additional investment to get blue packs going)... Nothing else that depends on advanced electronics 2 is early game tech in a similar manner.

I have reverted this change locally, because I think it's exceptionally unpleasant and breaks a core mechanic very badly IMO.
I don't see where the Advanced Electronics 2 requirement is, a little more info please?

edit: I see the issue. I increase the requirement of Advanced Electronics 2 to include Science pack 3. This wouldn't be much of a problem normally because it is only used by 3 base game technologies, Robotics, Effect transmission, and Rocket Silo.
The issue is with Robotics being a key gateway tech. I should put in an overide to make Robotics cost only Advanced Electronics, not 2.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

JohnDoe
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by JohnDoe »

Upon researching Plastics, thus unlocking Synthetic wood, my character can no longer auto-craft Basic circuit boards from Wood because the raw material it needs changed from Wood to Synthetic wood. Is this intended behavior?

Darloth
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Darloth »

There's many posts about it in this subforum now.

In short - no, it's not intended behavior, but it is default factorio behavior. You can work around it by crafting the wooden planks, then it will happily use those instead of the raw wood.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

I found one small annoyance with new electronics stuff.

You need to make some solder to start making those and it requires either silver or lead.
By default galena will yield both lead and nickel - and you have no practical way at first to sort thoswe since smart inserters require circuit boards to make.

Maybe make nickel to be enabled by default?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

As with a lot of the early stuff, you need to do some sorting/building by hand first. Although the easy solution is to turn off GalenaGivesNickel and turn on NickleOre fields... the default setup is supposed to give a bit of a challenge. Sure, you start off with that loop where you need the finished electronics before you can make a smart inserter, but the smart inserter isn't actually needed for full automation at this point.

If you build more furnaces than you need... or vica verca, don't build enough ore mines to start with, the inserters grabbing ore for those furnaces will only grab the desired lead. you can then have an inserter at the end of the line putting everything that wasn't grabbed in a box. the result is a box full of nothing but nickel. You can then start adding on the sorting stuff with the smart inserters afterwards.
I also have a Patreon.

alexandehorst
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by alexandehorst »

I have noticed, that some of the bobsmods-modules dont have a german translation. so i have created one: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/q519fiwwh7yp ... W6JYa?dl=0 it would be nice, if it was integrated into the mod. ;)

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Bob's mods were translated into german, once, quite a while ago (Like, version 0.10 of factorio era time ago) so all the locale strings added since then havn't been translated. Thanks of the updated translation.

Unfortunately I can't download it right now due to a 500 error.
I also have a Patreon.

thc133
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by thc133 »

bobingabout wrote:The issue is that DyTech adds "frame-1" as an ingredient to the recipe of the electric mining drill. frame-1 requires Electronic Circuit as an ingredient, and because I arn't specifically looking for it in the overide for the basic board, it defaults to basic electronic circuit, which requires the electronics research.
I modified the file on my own:
mods\bobelectronics_0.12.2\bobelectronics_0.12.2\prototypes\recipe-updates.lua
added these lines after first "if"
recipe.name == "fast-inserter" or
recipe.name == "small-lamp" or
recipe.name == "frame-1" or
recipe.name == "laser-turret" or

And then these items will use BCB to craft instead of BEB.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

I have a balance question for basic electronic boards. They seem to have a bit overboard ratio with basic electronic components.
To run one assembler for basic electronic boards at full speed you need 4 assemblers producing basic electronic components. It seems a bit to much :) Especially that those components are used for a lot more things.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

orzelek wrote:I have a balance question for basic electronic boards. They seem to have a bit overboard ratio with basic electronic components.
To run one assembler for basic electronic boards at full speed you need 4 assemblers producing basic electronic components. It seems a bit to much :) Especially that those components are used for a lot more things.
To make basic electronics, it takes 2 seconds to make 5.
To make the basic electronic board takes 1 second and costs 5. if anything it requires only 2 feeding it, not 4.
I also have a Patreon.

Zwobot
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Zwobot »

bobingabout wrote:
orzelek wrote:I have a balance question for basic electronic boards. They seem to have a bit overboard ratio with basic electronic components.
To make the basic electronic board takes 1 second and costs 5. if anything it requires only 2 feeding it, not 4.
Nope, a BEB takes 0.5 seconds and costs 5. Maybe a mistake? If anything I like the challenge of supplying a decent BEB output though.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Zwobot wrote:
bobingabout wrote:
Nope, a BEB takes 0.5 seconds and costs 5. Maybe a mistake? If anything I like the challenge of supplying a decent BEB output though.
Bob changed it in latest version - it's now 1 second :D

Zwobot
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Zwobot »

orzelek wrote:Bob changed it in latest version - it's now 1 second :D
Oooops! That'll teach me to think I know something :oops: Aaand time to update and redesign my BEB factory. :)

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Zwobot wrote:
orzelek wrote:Bob changed it in latest version - it's now 1 second :D
Oooops! That'll teach me to think I know something :oops: Aaand time to update and redesign my BEB factory. :)
New ratio is nice - 2:1 is quite nice to neatly build with 3 assemblers.

PiggyWhiskey
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.11.22/0.12.x][v0.12.3] Bob's Electronics

Post by PiggyWhiskey »

I seem to have run into a bug.

Basic Electronic Boards need:
1x Basic Circuit Board,
5x Basic Electronic Components and
1x Solder.

To make solder automated needs equipment made with Basic Electronic Boards.

I double checked the Recipe file in Bobs Electronics (12.3) and the recipe doesn't mention solder.
Nor can I find any reference that adds it.
In-game recipe

Code: Select all

data:extend(
{
  {
    type = "item",
--    name = "basic-electronic-circuit-board",
    name = "electronic-circuit",
    icon = "__bobelectronics__/graphics/icons/basic-electronic-circuit-board.png",
    flags = {"goes-to-main-inventory"},
    subgroup = "bob-electronic-boards",
    order = "c-c1[basic-electronic-circuit-board]",
    stack_size = 200
  },

{
    type = "recipe",
--    name = "basic-electronic-circuit-board",
    name = "electronic-circuit",
    energy_required = 1,
    enabled = false,
    ingredients =
    {
      {"basic-circuit-board", 1},
      {"basic-electronic-components", 5},
    },
--    result = "basic-electronic-circuit-board",
    result = "electronic-circuit",
  },
}
)

Anyone have any ideas?

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

Solder plate needs a metal mixing furnace, so no circuits needed there. Inserters need basic circuit boards, not basic electronic boards. So no, there's no problem there to automate it.
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

PiggyWhiskey
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by PiggyWhiskey »

Boogieman14 wrote:Solder plate needs a metal mixing furnace, so no circuits needed there. Inserters need basic circuit boards, not basic electronic boards. So no, there's no problem there to automate it.

The actual circuit itself has 3 ingredients (inc. solder) which can't be crafted in T1 Assembler. So there would require manual crafting for at least 3. (Kinda ruins any no manual crafting challenges)

The main issue I had was the files doesn't say it requires Solder. So when I plan my factory (using Foreman which reads the mod files) it will never be right as it wouldn't account for the Solder production.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

PiggyWhiskey wrote:
Boogieman14 wrote:Solder plate needs a metal mixing furnace, so no circuits needed there. Inserters need basic circuit boards, not basic electronic boards. So no, there's no problem there to automate it.

The actual circuit itself has 3 ingredients (inc. solder) which can't be crafted in T1 Assembler. So there would require manual crafting for at least 3. (Kinda ruins any no manual crafting challenges)

The main issue I had was the files doesn't say it requires Solder. So when I plan my factory (using Foreman which reads the mod files) it will never be right as it wouldn't account for the Solder production.
Due to the pick and mix nature of the mod, there is no guarantee that Tin plate (Essential for making solder) Exists, therefore Solder is only available if tin exists. The recipe is constructed in 2 stages (As with ALL my mods), the erst of the recipe is pieced together in the recipe-updates file.
I also have a Patreon.

PiggyWhiskey
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by PiggyWhiskey »

bobingabout wrote:snip

Due to the pick and mix nature of the mod, there is no guarantee that Tin plate (Essential for making solder) Exists, therefore Solder is only available if tin exists. The recipe is constructed in 2 stages (As with ALL my mods), the erst of the recipe is pieced together in the recipe-updates file.

Ahhh I see now.

I did get mixed up a little with Nickel and the Electronic Circuits.

Return to “Bob's mods”