[0.12.x][v0.12.6] Bob's Electronics

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

Should this mod add the new Bob style electronics as stand alone?

Poll ended at Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:25 pm

Move the electronics out of Bob's MCI into Bob's Electronics mod (Renamed from Electronics Overide) (The mod Adds my electronics, and sets the overides)
73%
Leave it as is (Can only be used with Bob's MCI)
27%

Total votes: 11

aklesey1
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.11.x][v0.1.3]Electronics Overide

Post by aklesey1 »

bobingabout wrote:I was actually thinking of adding a Nitrogen -> Liquid Nitrogen conversion. But I Haven't yet since I haven't installed treefarm on my new 0.12
Wow lol, so you must watch for treefarm - i'm using treefarm lite and AC together? may be you will replace nitrogen are not converce him if game will see when treefarm installed :D
Nickname on ModPortal - Naron79

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.11.22/0.12.x][v0.12.1] Bob's Electronics

Post by SHiRKiT »

Am I crazy or after I updated the mods, almost everything requires Basic electronic board (the wooden blue one)?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

SHiRKiT wrote:Am I crazy or after I updated the mods, almost everything requires Basic electronic board (the wooden blue one)?
Before update, everything required the basic circuit board, made from wood and wire.

after the update, only a handfull of things (8 from basegame) require that board, the rest now instead require the basic electronics board, made with the basic circuit board and basic electronic components.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

bobingabout wrote:
SHiRKiT wrote:Am I crazy or after I updated the mods, almost everything requires Basic electronic board (the wooden blue one)?
Before update, everything required the basic circuit board, made from wood and wire.

after the update, only a handfull of things (8 from basegame) require that board, the rest now instead require the basic electronics board, made with the basic circuit board and basic electronic components.

It basically has a Tier 1 through 5 now. T1 requiring no research, T2 requires red research, and so on.
I also have a Patreon.

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SHiRKiT »

bobingabout wrote:
bobingabout wrote:

It basically has a Tier 1 through 5 now. T1 requiring no research, T2 requires red research, and so on.
Now I need to redesign my factory xD

Btw, removing the old eletronics override and placing the new electronics, if I open the GUI of an assembler machine that has been migrated, the game literally crashes without a proper log. It insta crashes without proper handling.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =7&t=14713

Do you think you can post a savegame with the issue on that topic? Perhaps with the list of mods before, and after the issue?
I also have a Patreon.

Darloth
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Darloth »

The bright white square graphics still get at me a little for this. I appreciate the effort you've put into them, and I really like the look of the middle part of the green ones, all of the blue ones, and the overall look of the brown ones (though it seems the components go on top of copper traces instead of between them?), but they are very square.

What characteristics would you want from an alternative graphic set, and if you ever do decide to redraw them yourself, can I request they not be square please? (The new factorio circuit shape, or the mockups provided on page 3 of this thread, would be what I consider the ideal shape - they're recognizable without losing too much area, and they're just 3d enough to mesh well with most of the other items)

Edit: Oh, I see, the copper traces are just missing on the basic electronic board. Presumably it represents the underside... nevertheless, I think it would look better if they were in fact both on the same board, and I did that to see how it would look (tweaked outline and shading just a little bit too), and the result is attached. If you want it gone, let me know and I'll edit it out, but I quite like it.

Edit: And so on and so forth. Should I continue, or not?
Attachments
electronic-circuit-board2.png
electronic-circuit-board2.png (1.56 KiB) Viewed 5519 times
basic-electronic-circuit-board2.png
basic-electronic-circuit-board2.png (596 Bytes) Viewed 5521 times

SuperObeseNinja
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SuperObeseNinja »

I think this is where I should post my findings. I've been playing what I can only assume is an older version of Bobs Electronics and when I updated (today) it broke my factory :( specificly the basic circuit board area. the version i was playing didn't have the fancy upgraded circuits (with the blue detail) and instead required only basic circuit boards. When i updated it changed all of my current basic circuit boards to basic electronic boards and put them EVERYWHERE they didn't need to be (making assembler 1's, making inserters, etc etc,) I'll try to attach a save file for checking out but at this point i assume its a bit late to try and salvage this factory instead i shall make a new one, :( if anyone does take a look at my factory please feel free to give me advice and tips, it was before robots and blue science. i was just extending the southern wall when i noticed and saved. Thx guys

also, love the new circuit gfx thx!
will start a new factory and try to get rolling
Attachments
BrokenBobsMods.zip
(6.47 MiB) Downloaded 224 times

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Darloth wrote:The bright white square graphics still get at me a little for this. I appreciate the effort you've put into them, and I really like the look of the middle part of the green ones, all of the blue ones, and the overall look of the brown ones (though it seems the components go on top of copper traces instead of between them?), but they are very square.

What characteristics would you want from an alternative graphic set, and if you ever do decide to redraw them yourself, can I request they not be square please? (The new factorio circuit shape, or the mockups provided on page 3 of this thread, would be what I consider the ideal shape - they're recognizable without losing too much area, and they're just 3d enough to mesh well with most of the other items)

Edit: Oh, I see, the copper traces are just missing on the basic electronic board. Presumably it represents the underside... nevertheless, I think it would look better if they were in fact both on the same board, and I did that to see how it would look (tweaked outline and shading just a little bit too), and the result is attached. If you want it gone, let me know and I'll edit it out, but I quite like it.

Edit: And so on and so forth. Should I continue, or not?
I won't redraw them myself, but I could release a graphics pack mod that overites them.
So, sure, continue.
SuperObeseNinja wrote:I think this is where I should post my findings. I've been playing what I can only assume is an older version of Bobs Electronics and when I updated (today) it broke my factory :( specificly the basic circuit board area. the version i was playing didn't have the fancy upgraded circuits (with the blue detail) and instead required only basic circuit boards. When i updated it changed all of my current basic circuit boards to basic electronic boards and put them EVERYWHERE they didn't need to be (making assembler 1's, making inserters, etc etc,) I'll try to attach a save file for checking out but at this point i assume its a bit late to try and salvage this factory instead i shall make a new one, :( if anyone does take a look at my factory please feel free to give me advice and tips, it was before robots and blue science. i was just extending the southern wall when i noticed and saved. Thx guys

also, love the new circuit gfx thx!
will start a new factory and try to get rolling
There are more things that use the board with components on than board without in the new version, so it seemed apropriate to replace most of what exists... that and they're actually using the same internal item ID, it's done automatically.
so, this is a side effect, intended or otherwise... you will need to clear them out and reset the recipe on the machine in areas where you intend to keep using the bare board, and update your factory where you need to.
Yes... it is messy... But this is the direction I've been meaning to go for a while, a direction many people have asked for.
I also have a Patreon.

SuperObeseNinja
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [0.11.22/0.12.x][v0.12.2] Bob's Electronics

Post by SuperObeseNinja »

:P Understandable I like the direction your mods are going. For me it takes factorio from a (make a neat pretty factory with perfect ratios and wonderful systems) to (JUST MAKE IT WORK) which i find fun! i am trying to stick to a main bus design which is rather difficult, i'm thinking maybe have circuits in their own area like smelting usually does then have it join the main bus longer down the road to leave room for the other circuits. i really don't want to use logistics robots for EVERYTHING as i tend to (though your robots are wonderful!!! my main playthrough has 2.5k of each mk3 robot) i do hope to see this become more and more complex as time passes!

love the mod keep it up! wish i could add more instead of my experiences with it but im bad at code/gfx/anything but playing games

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Yeah, thats ones of the things my mod forces you to do. Electronics becomes it's own production chain, that you have in it's own area, instead of part of another production chain.
You then ship the completed electronics where needed.

Modules is the exception to this rule, they require the electonic components. But even this is at a stage where you might ship them from your electronics plant, those integrated electronics and cpus can be hard to make.
I also have a Patreon.

crysanja
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by crysanja »

im kind of anoyed with the new wooden boards.
its so much more work, to get the basic inserters for green science going.
feels kind of unreasonable to build more factories to get the mk2 assembler then the green science chain =)

Arnavion
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Arnavion »

Edit: Never mind, I'm stupid. Thought I needed electronic components for basic electronic board...

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

crysanja wrote:im kind of anoyed with the new wooden boards.
its so much more work, to get the basic inserters for green science going.
feels kind of unreasonable to build more factories to get the mk2 assembler then the green science chain =)
Basic inserters needed for the science packs should still use the standard basic circuit board as they did before in the old electronics overide mod.
I also have a Patreon.

crysanja
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by crysanja »

uh - the problem is, that you need a mk2 assembly machine for basic inserters(3 item craft), which need the wooden/blue circuits.

so for green science you either need to craft the inserters by hand, or you need to build the chain for the new boards.

you can not realy shortcuts the new boards, because you need all thouse things like solder, tined wire, and the main problem basic electronic (components)?
thouse components cant be crafted by hand =)

---
sorry i take to often a shortcut with my postings.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Okay, that is true, though you could shortcut just enough to make enough boards for the assembly MK2s to make your research chain.
I also have a Patreon.

Darloth
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Darloth »

Can red and green wires use the basic circuit board rather than basic electronic boards please?

Since you often don't get the red/green wires back when you're wiring a network, and since they're literally only carrying signal, it feels a bit expensive to be spending an electronic board per wire.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Darloth wrote:Can red and green wires use the basic circuit board rather than basic electronic boards please?

Since you often don't get the red/green wires back when you're wiring a network, and since they're literally only carrying signal, it feels a bit expensive to be spending an electronic board per wire.
You raise a valid point, I always thought they were overpriced in the first place. Perhaps I should make them even cheaper, like, similar in total price to the insulated tinned copper cable. so, like, costs a peice of rubber and (tinned) copper cable, rather than a circuit and copper cable. what do you think?
I also have a Patreon.

Darloth
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Darloth »

Sure, that'd work fine too, and make a lot more sense.

If you wanted to do that, why not make them just take a single piece of insulated cable to make, since that's probably what they are - then it has some intermediate value and can be drawn off to a chest somewhere it's being made in the production process?

Degraine
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Degraine »

Yeah, I second that, that's a reasonable change to base, IMO.

Return to “Bob's mods”