Bob did a Youtube.

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Bob did a Youtube.

Post by bobingabout »

:o

Playthrough:
Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17m5n1BT8TY
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEAo7DiUocw
Part 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3pifbPGJCc

Tutorials:
Mod list and settings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTkS3oJ6nfM
1. Basic automated iron and copper production: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKxJeJsDrDQ
2. Automating science pack 1 and 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs01hRexzyU
3. Automating basic electronics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6eeVj-aulQ
4. Adjustable inserters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu9LmpZaVPg

Misc:
I recorded me doing some editing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhhexpBVZOg

Should I make this a regular thing?
Any advice for improvements?
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

disentius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Bob did a Youtube.

Post by disentius »

Nice to see a supermodder be a normal player, making the same oopsies we all do:)
Your sound setup could be improved, probably.

GrumpyJoe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GrumpyJoe »

yeah, sound is like when i tried to be a youtuber but figured i´d need a better microphone then the headset one :lol:

what i, back then, read is that USB is bad for audio because its carried over a power line? Might have been improved alot, that was like 7 years back.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

disentius wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:22 pm
Your sound setup could be improved, probably.
It's probably the most crappy microphone you can get, it's the sort of thing designed to be used on a clapper or something, soldered to a wire and hooked up to my computer.

anyway... I knew it made me sound muffled, but couldn't hear the hissing when I was editing the video, but when I played it back on my laptop after uploading it to youtube, my first response was "Damn, this hissing isn't in the whole video, is it?"
I also have a Patreon.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

GrumpyJoe wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:49 pm
yeah, sound is like when i tried to be a youtuber but figured i´d need a better microphone then the headset one :lol:

what i, back then, read is that USB is bad for audio because its carried over a power line? Might have been improved alot, that was like 7 years back.
Well... the audio itself isn't carried over power lines... it's digitally encoded first then sent as data. USB however can be argued to be bad for audio, because USB holds power that is strongly effected by the data transmission, and is bad for audio because the minor voltage fluctuations can introduce ringing. You need a pretty good power regulator and filter to get rid of this, so it's much better to use independent power for audio equipment. I've seen audio equipment before that needs two power supplies, one for the data side and one for the audio side. As for Microphones on USB... I can't say.
I also have a Patreon.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I also have a Patreon.

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

bobingabout wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:00 am
Oh look, I did it again. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEAo7DiUocw

You played with our heart; Got lost in the game. Oh baby, baby.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Light wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:27 am
bobingabout wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:00 am
Oh look, I did it again. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEAo7DiUocw

You played with our heart; Got lost in the game. Oh baby, baby.
Oh wow, I have 8 subscribers.
I also have a Patreon.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

But they neither like it nor dislike it :)

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

dog80
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dog80 »

yes plz more i haven't watched it but its good and yes - xterm is such a retard and i only like his modpreview vids but they lack and he is dependant on modders to bring content to his channel - you can just do your stuff and its kind of interesting - very good

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Thinking about it, I haven't actually played the game beyond "Testing" since about 0.2, and haven't played a vanilla game since 0.10. I've never played a bob's mods game from beginning to end.

and before you ask "How can you test without playing?" I basically have this testing save game that I've been using for years, started in 0.9.8, it has everything in it that I need to test with.

My point is, and you can see this in my videos, I'm not that good at playing the game.
I also have a Patreon.

GrumpyJoe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GrumpyJoe »

maybe show us around your test map and how you come up with new ideas and test stuff?

tbh, i looked at your videos and was abit disapointed, but it makes sense now that you told us about your actual playing experience
i dont wanna sound disrespectful, but you are not a Youtuber in the classic sense
I know first hand how hard that is. I tried it myself. Free speaking, a straight forward idea how to build stuff from scratch, presenting it etc is not for everyone and i gave up on it. It can be learnt tho. So dont let me get in your way by all means!

Dont get disheartened to finaly play get some normal gaming fun out of this, you provided thousands of players with an awesome overhaul, the play hours with your mods are probably in the millions.
But i rather watch you code and learn how to mod then to have a laugh at your burner phase struggle. I´d even be interested in the version history of your mods, told by the author!

Sorry for the hard words. Maybe i´d watch more with a little less microphone noise, just because its you! <3

One thing you are totally wrong tho: Noone is "not good" at playing the game. If effiency was the only thing, i´d only watch Anti or Rain battling for the world record. Or yet another megabase.
Thats why i love it, so many was to make you happy!

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Yeah, Bob playing Factorio is a bit boring. I'm going to stick with it and do more, but...

I'm also going to do some that would be more interesting to watch, Bob's mods Tutorials. They'd be a bit more planned out than me just stumbling around the Factorio world, an hour each video is a bit long.

Part of why my playthrough is more boring than your average youtuber's playthrough is that these are relatively uncut, with my talking to myself, stumbling through it.

The more interesting ones is when the player knows what he is doing, or talking with someone else playing together, or cut to mostly just the key parts, or just having a comic persona.

I can do better, This is why after I've done a bit more in the game, I'm going to do some tutorials, develop more of a persona, and buy a real microphone.

So I apologise for the slow and boring start, but I promise that it can only get better.
I also have a Patreon.

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

FIRST! (I'm always first for some reason)

The microphone is an improvement for sure.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Light wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:14 pm

FIRST! (I'm always first for some reason)

The microphone is an improvement for sure.
Hopefully this will be something more like what people want to see. Part 1, the beginning, keep it simple.
I should probably show how to build automation for science pack 1 next, even though I've already recorded "How to make electronics part 1" in part of the same source video (that's why it just ends, I dive straight in on how to make electronics)
I also have a Patreon.

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

bobingabout wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:26 pm
Hopefully this will be something more like what people want to see. Part 1, the beginning, keep it simple.
I should probably show how to build automation for science pack 1 next, even though I've already recorded "How to make electronics part 1" in part of the same source video (that's why it just ends, I dive straight in on how to make electronics)
Personally, I find gameplay videos of Factorio to be dull as hell. The game is simply too long to have any meaningful content from start to finish, with a lot of bumbling around that breaks the flow.

Doing videos on how to get started with Bob's along with the design philosophy explained by the creator is more interesting. We can then hear your thought process with certain designs or recipes, to better grasp why you made those decisions. People will probably reference your designs and then do wild things with them later on.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Light wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:38 pm
bobingabout wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:26 pm
Personally, I find gameplay videos of Factorio to be dull as hell. The game is simply too long to have any meaningful content from start to finish, with a lot of bumbling around that breaks the flow.

Doing videos on how to get started with Bob's along with the design philosophy explained by the creator is more interesting. We can then hear your thought process with certain designs or recipes, to better grasp why you made those decisions. People will probably reference your designs and then do wild things with them later on.
This is actually why I'm starting a tutorial's set of videos. Long playthroughs are kind of boring, I agree, so tutorials, showing how to do certain things that some people might have trouble with is a better way to go.

I'll continue my playthrough stuff too though.
I also have a Patreon.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I just uploaded a new version of the tutorial 1, Added some extra voice over (couldn't figure out how to do this without delete, re-upload)
New audio is at 2:04 to 2:35, just before I perform the basic research for long inserters.
I also have a Patreon.

GrumpyJoe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GrumpyJoe »

Light wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:38 pm

long vidos were ok when i started. actually, after i discovered the game on a different channel, i bingewatched KoS for like 20 episodes and only after that I decided to buy it.
but even with people that try new stuff, i kinda get bored by those now if its a full base.

Tutorials sound amazing tho, even if im not playing only bobs, its where i get new ideas. Will look into it for sure

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

bobingabout wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:04 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs01hRexzyU

Something about science.
You forgot one long handed inserter for the red science assembler. :)

Return to “Bob's mods”