Give feedback: new material

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Give feedback: new material

Post by bobingabout »

For this one, I'm looking outside of the realm of reality again (I have before with some of the warfare stuff, like Alien Artifact based stuff), but not so out there, I'm talking science fiction levels of realism.

For this, I propose Trinium, a light weight metal that is potentially strong. The catch is that by itself, it is too brittle, and therefore needs to be alloyed with other materials, such as titanium for strength, or Tungsten for a more heat resistant material. Pretty much on part with Nitinol and the tungsten alloys now. But it could also use less used materials, like Cobalt, silver, or Zinc

At this point, it really is just an idea, I want a fairly long processing chain, like Aluminium or Tungsten where you have to process it into an intermediate or two before going from ore to metal, as well as consuming a bunch of intermediates, like Sodium Hydroxide, or a fluid/gas you currently have a hard time getting rid of.

The aim for this material is that it basically be used for the metals after Nitinol, Tungsten Carbide and Copper Tungsten Alloy. Possibly other high end products too.

So... throw your ideas at me, everything from how to refine it, down to the end results.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

crysanja
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Give feedback: new material

Post by crysanja »

Why not go for the proposed island of stablility.

You can use your thorium here, maybe some collision of Th + U -> stuff
This should use alot of energy, maybe force the player to use nuclear power - maybe even use the spend fuel for collisions?

Uranium seems to be under used.

ukezi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ukezi »

honestly the mod has enough materials and tiers. What I would suggest is a good nuclear setup and a good way for early robots. Maybe more complex plastic, although angel does that already quite good.

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

We've got more than we can really use right now so adding more for the sake of it isn't worth your time. I'm pleased you did eventually incorporate lesser used materials in recipes as time went by, but the mod still comes across as overwhelmingly full of substance but lacking some meaningful applications with them.

I believe you should focus on slimming up the mod to remove seldom or unused items (Like your removal of electrum in favor of gold) and then putting a nice little bow on what you've accomplished by doing little more than refining and balancing until the devs add new systems to improve the foundation of what you made. Anything else would just be meaningless bloat at this point.

Dvx
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Dvx »

+1 for using Thorium. It literally has no use at the moment. Combine the new ore with the Thorium perhaps? Or process Thorium to get something that you need to process the new ore into next stage. Also, what is the status of the new material currently?

Return to “Bob's mods”