Starting new game, question

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

Rylant
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Starting new game, question

Post by Rylant »

So, I have completed the game vanilla and adding a few mods, but nothing that adds complexity. I was thinking about trying a Bob's run. I know that a full on Bob's and Angel's game can be quite complex and overwhelming. I am not sure I am ready for that yet. I have heard that if I just start a Bob's run, it will be more complicated than vanilla, however, somebody who has played for quite some time should be able to figure it out. So, if I just want to add a bit of complexity and change the game a bit (I would be ok with changing science, changing the starting game, and changing Oil processing), are there certain Bob's mods I should add and ones I should avoid? Or should I just add all of the Bob's mods available for 0.16?

Thanks for the help,
Rylant

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Starting new game, question

Post by steinio »

Bob's mods are fine and not that more complicated as vanilla.

Oil setups are the same, you just have more options like sulfurisation.
The most ores go into smelters like iron and copper, some plates are a mix of 2 other plates - so not that hard.

The Bob's Enemies mod make the biters a bit more dangerous, like flame thrower worm or explosive spitters.

The chemical part is a bit harder, like generating salt from water, or electrolyse water to oxygen and hydrogen for other processes.

If you use Bob's electronics, it get's really hard, because it changes all circuits into more components and uses also wood as ingredient.
So you should also add Bob's Greenhouse to produce wood :)

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Rylant
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Rylant »

steinio wrote:Bob's mods are fine and not that more complicated as vanilla.

Oil setups are the same, you just have more options like sulfurisation.
The most ores go into smelters like iron and copper, some plates are a mix of 2 other plates - so not that hard.

The Bob's Enemies mod make the biters a bit more dangerous, like flame thrower worm or explosive spitters.

The chemical part is a bit harder, like generating salt from water, or electrolyse water to oxygen and hydrogen for other processes.

If you use Bob's electronics, it get's really hard, because it changes all circuits into more components and uses also wood as ingredient.
So you should also add Bob's Greenhouse to produce wood :)
Thanks! I may add them all, except Bob's enemies. I am just not into biters much. I won't disable them, but vanilla biters are fine for me. I may use all of Bob's except the biters then? If I only used some of Bob's mods, do I have any possibility of running into issues where I have enabled such and such building with this mod, but because I didn't enable this OTHER Bob's mod, I am not able to get the source component which that building uses? If that makes sense?

Rylant

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

I took a quick look and it seems they are all optional but you need for all the Bob's Library mod.

If you don't use Bob's ores, i guess the receipes will fall back to iron and copper plates.

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

bobenemies causes enemies to drop artifacts. If you plan to play with enemies turned off, then it's best to not have the mod at all, because otherwise you end up with things you can't craft.
You CAN play the mod pack without that though, most recipes in my mod check to see what items are available and adjust themselves around that.
The enemies aren't much tougher until you reach max evolution factor, when Leviathans appear and a single enemy can wreck your defences. There are a few tiers of enemy added between Big and Behemoth too.

I'd probably recommend that for your first play through with my mods you play without electronics, it really makes it much harder to start off, and it's worth trying to get to grips with all the other new stuff in my mods without the hassle of electronics slowing you down. Definitely play with electronics on a second play through though.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Return to “Bob's mods”