Fluid Wagon splitting

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

Zarnoo
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Fluid Wagon splitting

Post by Zarnoo »

Back in 0.15, you could split a single fluid wagon into 3, which was nice because then you could move 3 fluids around without having a mile long train.
It looks like they have removed this, but it also looks like some of the code for this is still in your mod.

Is there some way to get this feature back, because I'm finding a huge fluid wagon of limited use for supply my outposts with flame fluid, something for the infinite ores, while picking up oils etc from that location (and 3 wagons is just not workable). Might have to switch too barreling.
Z

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Fluid Wagon splitting

Post by eradicator »

Zarnoo wrote:Is there some way to get this feature back.
No. Impossible.

The game logic for that was removed and mods have no way whatsoever to change that. The only possible way this *might* works is by having 3 independant but much smaller wagons. But that would be a huge amount of work.

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

You may have to switch to multiple wagons. Keep in mind that fluid capacity too has been significantly reduced (1/3rd of the original value, 25000 now). If you already have a supply wagon with stock goods, you could do some barrelling but that has problems of it's own - mainly that those have even less capacity and you need to lug back the empty barrels.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

which reminds me that I still haven't full released the barrel size change fix for my mod. you can still stack gas cylinders to 50 instead of 10.

I've made the change, just not released it.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Zarnoo
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Zarnoo »

I was thinking about 3 small wagons, 1/3 the size of a normal one. This would allow you to have 3 different fluids (or as many as you need). The alternative is if you have to have 3 full-size wagons, then your train is going to be a mile long (which then means my small outposts have to be much larger etc.

I just haven't figured out how to make the carriages smaller, since everyone seems to use a common wagon size (mini-wagons ?!?)...

Z

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Zarnoo wrote:I was thinking about 3 small wagons, 1/3 the size of a normal one. This would allow you to have 3 different fluids (or as many as you need). The alternative is if you have to have 3 full-size wagons, then your train is going to be a mile long (which then means my small outposts have to be much larger etc.

I just haven't figured out how to make the carriages smaller, since everyone seems to use a common wagon size (mini-wagons ?!?)...

Z
it MIGHT be possible to do half size. considering each wagon is about 6 tiles long with an addition tile (or 2, never actually made a station properly since the change) for couplings, trying to split a wagon to fit within this size would be difficult. but if it were only half the size, it's easier than a third, and should still give you enough room for the pumps.

However, this would require some custom graphics, of which I'm not good at.
I also have a Patreon.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

You may have a Look at Yuokis Railway mod. It Adds several locos and Waggons: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/yi_railway

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I've seen it before. would love to use some of his art. Don't really want to ask to use art from an active mod though, and definitely not just use without permission.
I also have a Patreon.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

bobingabout wrote:I've seen it before. would love to use some of his art. Don't really want to ask to use art from an active mod though, and definitely not just use without permission.
It's licensed under MIT. So you automatically have permission. Not that i can't relate to the thought of not wanting to user other mods stuff though, just saying... Yuoki does work on request though, and as it's something very similar to the stuff he already has (i.e. less work than from scratch) i wouldn't be suprised if he made you an exclusive model if you asked. But even if you had a model i'm not sure how easy it is to create a half/third sized wagon that behaves like the old one.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

eradicator wrote:
bobingabout wrote:I've seen it before. would love to use some of his art. Don't really want to ask to use art from an active mod though, and definitely not just use without permission.
It's licensed under MIT. So you automatically have permission. Not that i can't relate to the thought of not wanting to user other mods stuff though, just saying... Yuoki does work on request though, and as it's something very similar to the stuff he already has (i.e. less work than from scratch) i wouldn't be suprised if he made you an exclusive model if you asked. But even if you had a model i'm not sure how easy it is to create a half/third sized wagon that behaves like the old one.
He has made me things before, the LZE tower, and Electrolyser are both his work.

The more cut and paste things though like the chemical boiler, and the pump that has a footprint twice as wide as it should, are both my work.
I also have a Patreon.

Zarnoo
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Zarnoo »

I don't think it's a graphic issue, as the current graphic is made of 3 tiles, each 2 blocks in size. This makes the fluid wagon 8 blocks (1connector-6tank-1connector). I guess the question is whether you could create 2 smaller waggons, c-tt-c, which would be exactly half the size of a regular wagon. I don't know how the game mechanics would handle things like going round a corner though.

Z

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Another issue is that all the current wagons, including the locomotive are articulated, they have a 4 wheel bogie at front and back. I'm not sure how well that will work if you reduce the size of the wagon from 6 to 2.
I also have a Patreon.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

I think 2 smaller wagons might be a problem because the fluid pump connector would be offset to the normal point where the pump graphics attach.

Could one instead do 3 smaller wagons where one is the beginning, one the middle and one the end of the current fluid wagon and they can only be placed and removed as triplet. What I mean is that you have a fluid wagon that looks like the current one but internally it is 3 wagons.

Zarnoo
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Zarnoo »

That sounds like doing the same as the previous way, but using a different mechanic. I would work for me :D Now someone just has to build it - lol

Yuoki has a small set of carriages, but not ones for fluid

Z

Return to “Bob's mods”