Charcoal ?

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

Hellatze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Charcoal ?

Post by Hellatze »

When ypu burn trees / wood. I expecting some charcoal. I think adding charcoal will be more realistic.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Charcoal ?

Post by bobingabout »

Some kind of wood to coal recipe (Charcoal, but not, due to recipe limitations) has been talked about before. I have been considering it, but not exactly on how to implement it yet. it is something that I could possibly add in the future.

I was considering just a furnace recipe. wood in, coal out. The problem with that is it means that when this recipe is enabled, you can't really use wood as an automated fuel source anymore, it would end up being used as an ingredient and you'd end up with coal mixed in with your metal plates coming out.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

ukezi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ukezi »

do it in the chem furnace then. you could turn it into carbon also, maybe with some hydrogen as side product.

Hellatze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hellatze »

bobingabout wrote:Some kind of wood to coal recipe (Charcoal, but not, due to recipe limitations) has been talked about before. I have been considering it, but not exactly on how to implement it yet. it is something that I could possibly add in the future.

I was considering just a furnace recipe. wood in, coal out. The problem with that is it means that when this recipe is enabled, you can't really use wood as an automated fuel source anymore, it would end up being used as an ingredient and you'd end up with coal mixed in with your metal plates coming out.
Yes. Putting into furnace really ineffective sonce the law of physics. However I use solar panel so I could use electric furnance.

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

The problem with turning wood into coal is that there is coal cracking, so you are generating all oil products from wood which is basically free with greenhouses.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

ukezi wrote:do it in the chem furnace then. you could turn it into carbon also, maybe with some hydrogen as side product.
Hydrogen in any kind of furnace would likely burn with the oxygen in the air to form water molecules due to the heat, so there wouldn't really be any viable byproducts.
And although chemical furnace is still an option... there's no need to restrict it to the chemical furnace, because you're basically just roasting the wood, it would work fine in a normal furnace.

The only thing that sets chemical, mixing, and normal furnaces apart is that the normal furnace uses the auto-recipe system, where the other two (Due to breaking the single item rule) require a recipe to be set.

Arch666Angel wrote:The problem with turning wood into coal is that there is coal cracking, so you are generating all oil products from wood which is basically free with greenhouses.
And if you ask certain people, that's the whole point. They want to be able to grow trees to turn into coal to turn into oil.

It's actually not that farfetched, "Biofuel" is fuel oils made from grain. there are also other natural oils that come from plants, like sunflower oil, olive oil, etc. The game might end up doing it in a roundabout way, but it's not completely unrealistic.
I also have a Patreon.

ukezi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ukezi »

well charcoal is made by heating up wood without oxygen so the organics evaporate and partly brake down wood gas is also made that way and charcoal is the residue in that process along with some wood tar. The gas is about 49% CO2, 34% CO and 13% Methane since standard bobs doesn't have CO or CO2 I reckoned some by-product would make it more interesting.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

ukezi wrote:well charcoal is made by heating up wood without oxygen so the organics evaporate and partly brake down wood gas is also made that way and charcoal is the residue in that process along with some wood tar. The gas is about 49% CO2, 34% CO and 13% Methane since standard bobs doesn't have CO or CO2 I reckoned some by-product would make it more interesting.
Even if it did, the planned furnace use wouldn't allow for "Fluid" outputs. the only furnace with a pipe is the chemical furnace, and that's input only.
I also have a Patreon.

Hellatze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hellatze »

bobingabout wrote:
ukezi wrote:well charcoal is made by heating up wood without oxygen so the organics evaporate and partly brake down wood gas is also made that way and charcoal is the residue in that process along with some wood tar. The gas is about 49% CO2, 34% CO and 13% Methane since standard bobs doesn't have CO or CO2 I reckoned some by-product would make it more interesting.
Even if it did, the planned furnace use wouldn't allow for "Fluid" outputs. the only furnace with a pipe is the chemical furnace, and that's input only.
We can do it in chem plant.

pezzawinkle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by pezzawinkle »

ukezi wrote:
well charcoal is made by heating up wood without oxygen so the organics evaporate and partly brake down wood gas is also made that way and charcoal is the residue in that process along with some wood tar. The gas is about 49% CO2, 34% CO and 13% Methane since standard bobs doesn't have CO or CO2 I reckoned some by-product would make it more interesting.
those 3 fluids (gasses) would be vented in the real world, except the methane, which is burnt (its a furnace...) creating more C(O2) and water vapor.
If you did create this for a regular furnace, possibly crank the pollution up a few tiers (can you alter fuel use/recipe? its been a while since ive been digging in the lua files).

4 wood-> 1 Charcoal + ash

for this it would be best to de-water the wood first (possible chem assembly plant w/ water coming out) new entity for the dried wood with no fuel value could be a way around this, but this is beginning to get stupid complex. on another point:
Charcoal + Ash is the general mix of products, ash being a mix of minerals, generally used to produce NaOH and KOH in the early industrial revolution. Fun for those already struggling to dispose of the caustic :lol:

I agree, we already make carbon, which is a higher quality char anyway, and preferred for steel.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

hmmmm... my carbon pretty much is charcoal. Carbon in my mod though is purified, so it wouldn't have all those lovely oil creation properties you're likely wanting to convert wood into charcoal for.
I also have a Patreon.

marzolan
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by marzolan »

I would suggest the Bio Industries mod if you're looking for a lot of wood handling options, including wood-> charcoal -> coal -> heavy oil...

ukezi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ukezi »

marzolan wrote:I would suggest the Bio Industries mod if you're looking for a lot of wood handling options, including wood-> charcoal -> coal -> heavy oil...
I would say wood->charcoal->carbon is a good way to do it.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I'd probably just go Wood -> Coal for one simple reason.

The way the game works, you can't specify "This" or "That", you have to duplicate recipes. And since pretty much everything you'd want to use Charcoal for, you'd already use Coal for, I'd just make them the same item.
I also have a Patreon.

Return to “Bob's mods”