What should I do with science packs?

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

T2k3
Inserter
Inserter

Re: What should I do with science packs?

Post by T2k3 »

The logistic science part fits well with me, maybe i would make a mk2 Version with aluminum in it?

I don't like the Idea of hunting for biters to get science done. Actually i'm pretty happy with the vanilla game throw this part out of the game.

Maybe we could spawn some resources under biternests so you have to get rid of these pesky aliens that sit on your resources.

I got two ideas for that, either it's some kind of "Unobtainium" that you have to mine and refine for lategame-science or it would be some more down to earth option like gas-veins. For example let our gas be Methane that you'll need for Rocketfuel Mk2 whats needed for Spacescience Mk2. (incidentally there is a mod that does that whole spawn below biternets already: AlienGoopCracking )

my 2 cents

p.s. since this is my first post here: thanks for all the countless gaming hours you made possible!

jiw7934
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by jiw7934 »

I also don't like the idea of biters being mandatory for science. Especially after vanilla has made them completely optional.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

jiw7934 wrote:I also don't like the idea of biters being mandatory for science. Especially after vanilla has made them completely optional.
They're not. Alien science is only available if you turn alien artifacts on, which is turned off by default.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

jiw7934
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by jiw7934 »

bobingabout wrote:
jiw7934 wrote:I also don't like the idea of biters being mandatory for science. Especially after vanilla has made them completely optional.
They're not. Alien science is only available if you turn alien artifacts on, which is turned off by default.
Great thanks for clarifying. Also want to thank you for all the work you put into these mods. They're fantastic and I'm really looking forward to seeing all the updates for 0.15.

British_Petroleum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by British_Petroleum »

a nice things about bobs was the biters would drop artifact fragments when the died which could be automatically collected and crafted into alien artifacts

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

British_Petroleum wrote:a nice things about bobs was the biters would drop artifact fragments when the died which could be automatically collected and crafted into alien artifacts
It's still there, just disabled by default, as most people seem to like the direction the base game went. Enemies mod will even re-add the base alien artifact, but you have to go into settings -> mods and turn on the option "Enable Alien Artifacts".
I also have a Patreon.

obuw
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by obuw »

I definitely didn't like the direction the game went with the removal of the artifacts, so I'm glad you are keeping them as an option!
Obuw's Warfare - Combat improvements

British_Petroleum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

hi bob,

I think the robot speed and cargo upgrades should use logistics science instead of productivity, train breaking force too.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

British_Petroleum wrote:hi bob,

I think the robot speed and cargo upgrades should use logistics science instead of productivity, train breaking force too.
Sounds like a good move.

I'm probably, at some point, going to go through the entire list of technology and ask: Do these packs look right?
And then add a replace to that specific technology.

Anything to do with inserters, trains, belts and non-combat robots will likely be ones I change to use logistics pack instead of production.
I know you could say that Construction robots are Production, while Logistic robots are logistics, but I don't think much of the base game even goes that high tech, and they're on the same research in my mods, so, I could either say one pack, the other, or both.
I also have a Patreon.

Muki
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Muki »

bobingabout wrote:
Anything to do with inserters, trains, belts and non-combat robots will likely be ones I change to use logistics pack instead of production.
This is a good idea and you will have a fair balance between techs requiring logistic or production (assembling machine, mine, chemical plant, etc...)

Kormer
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Kormer »

I'd like to keep the vanilla science packs with possibly slightly altered recipes and have one more Bob's only science pack to bring us up to an even eight packs.

As for the debate of buildings in packs, before you could go the entire game even in Bob's without ever automating assembly machine production. It would obviously make your life a lot easier, but it wasn't mandatory. The voices you're hearing on the forums are veterans who already know that automating production of certain things is a very good idea, but the science changes aren't for those people. Cast my vote for keeping buildings in the science packs.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Kormer wrote:I'd like to keep the vanilla science packs with possibly slightly altered recipes and have one more Bob's only science pack to bring us up to an even eight packs.

As for the debate of buildings in packs, before you could go the entire game even in Bob's without ever automating assembly machine production. It would obviously make your life a lot easier, but it wasn't mandatory. The voices you're hearing on the forums are veterans who already know that automating production of certain things is a very good idea, but the science changes aren't for those people. Cast my vote for keeping buildings in the science packs.
Take a look at what I've done already so far.

Production now costs miner, assembly and furnace. The miner that was on the science pack 3 has been replaced with other things, and the new logistic pack (bringing it up to 8 total) costs an inserter (Filter, or express if you have logistics mod installed), express belt, robot frame, and steel chest.

A few other things have been switched around too, but the changes are highly dependant on what materials are available, the mining machine isn't moved from science pack 3 to production unless the new materials to go on science pack 3 are available.
I also have a Patreon.

Kormer
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Kormer »

bobingabout wrote:
Kormer wrote:I'd like to keep the vanilla science packs with possibly slightly altered recipes and have one more Bob's only science pack to bring us up to an even eight packs.

Take a look at what I've done already so far.

Production now costs miner, assembly and furnace. The miner that was on the science pack 3 has been replaced with other things, and the new logistic pack (bringing it up to 8 total) costs an inserter (Filter, or express if you have logistics mod installed), express belt, robot frame, and steel chest.

A few other things have been switched around too, but the changes are highly dependant on what materials are available, the mining machine isn't moved from science pack 3 to production unless the new materials to go on science pack 3 are available.
I'm having a tough time telling what changes are .15 and what are yours, but all those listed above definitely go in the category of "things a casual player would never automate, but probably should." Overall I'm happy with what they look like right now.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Kormer wrote:I'm having a tough time telling what changes are .15 and what are yours, but all those listed above definitely go in the category of "things a casual player would never automate, but probably should." Overall I'm happy with what they look like right now.
I'm having a hard enough time keeping track of the updates too. Just a few hours ago 0.15.10 was released, which completely broke my power mod, and required a fix to the valve in logistics too.
It's hard to make progress when you have to keep going back to things you thought you'd finish and edit them even more so that they work with the new base game.
I also have a Patreon.

T2k3
Inserter
Inserter

Post by T2k3 »

bobingabout wrote:
Kormer wrote:I'm having a tough time telling what changes are .15 and what are yours, but all those listed above definitely go in the category of "things a casual player would never automate, but probably should." Overall I'm happy with what they look like right now.
I'm having a hard enough time keeping track of the updates too. Just a few hours ago 0.15.10 was released, which completely broke my power mod, and required a fix to the valve in logistics too.
It's hard to make progress when you have to keep going back to things you thought you'd finish and edit them even more so that they work with the new base game.
That may be a thought for a more generell discussion, but how about making bob's mods a more collaborative effort aka Github? You could get for things like logistic science pull requests and others could give you their ideas directly in code as well.

BlackDeath
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by BlackDeath »

It's fine that there's the discussion in this forum and not on different platform.
I think that there are some player just join the discussion/doing suggestions because they active in this forum and the player who know to write codes can also do it here, ...
(Just my opinion)

@bob: Your changes lokk really good and I'll be pleased to rebuild my science factory ;)

microbat
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by microbat »

Could the end game be like an RTS where you have to not only defend against increasingly stronger attackers, but start fighting back against the alien bases? Maybe build multiple tanks and choppers to attack with. I saw a mod that makes a jet bomber which could be fun. It would make expanding exciting because you would have to wipe out enemy bases to take over their land. Seems like the game is pretty close to this already.

BlackMoon
Inserter
Inserter

Post by BlackMoon »

I would like to see more of your new metals be used in science packs. as is you can complete basically all research without using anything but a little bit of aluminum it seems.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

BlackMoon wrote:I would like to see more of your new metals be used in science packs. as is you can complete basically all research without using anything but a little bit of aluminum it seems.
You also need Bronze, which costs Tin and Copper. Though that is relatively trivial.

I'm open to recipe sugestions.
I also have a Patreon.

British_Petroleum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

tin, lead, quartz, gold, for circuits which are used in science packs, and titatium now too for logistics science. I think it's nice the way it is

Return to “Bob's mods”