[0.15.x] Bob's Mods: General Discussion

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

CitizenJoe
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [0.15.x] Bob's Mods: General Discussion

Post by CitizenJoe »

Is Bob Tech the mod that is supposed to change vanilla recipes or things like the rocket parts? Are there plans to change things like the science pack recipes when it's updated?

Also: is there a changelog anywhere?

microbat
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by microbat »

Hi guys, I have the game but I haven't started yet because I am waiting for bobs mods to be finished. (I did the campaign though). How long do you think I should wait before they will be mostly done? I was planning to wait a month but it looks like he made so much progress already. I don't really understand what some of them do though.

nagapito
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nagapito »

microbat wrote:Hi guys, I have the game but I haven't started yet because I am waiting for bobs mods to be finished. (I did the campaign though). How long do you think I should wait before they will be mostly done? I was planning to wait a month but it looks like he made so much progress already. I don't really understand what some of them do though.
If you only did the campaign, then my advice is play a couple open world in vanilla first, launch a couple rockets, do stuff....
Explore the vanilla content first, have fun and abuse it until it gets boring and easy. You will not only learn how to better play Factorio but you will also not 'waste' the vanilla content because, if you are like many of us, once you turn to Bob's or Bobs/angels, vanilla becomes too simple and you will not take profit from a lot of content vanilla still has to offer you. Campaign is just a 'tutorial', the real game is wasting hours in a open world.

Dont be in a rush to try Bobs, the game is still here in a year :P

Not saying to not use mods, feel free to try quality of life mods and other shenanigans that lightly change the game. Its just that these sets of mods(bobs/angels/5dim/any kind of mods that come in a pack), heavily change the game and can take away the chance to enjoy how awesome vanilla also is.

Disclaimer Edit: it might seem strange being at a bob's thread discouraging someone to use his mods but really, someone fresh as him at the game, not only is he wasting the awesome content Factorio still has to provide as there is also a huge chance of him getting lost, not enjoying bobs or even the game. Better try them later and have fun then just playing a couple hours and giving up

arbarbonif
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by arbarbonif »

In bobplates, the bob-gold-plate recipe is only requiring 3 chlorine, instead of 30. I was wondering why I wasn't producing any alumina...

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

CitizenJoe wrote:Is Bob Tech the mod that is supposed to change vanilla recipes or things like the rocket parts? Are there plans to change things like the science pack recipes when it's updated?

Also: is there a changelog anywhere?
Bobtech is the one that adds a second science lab, more science packs etc. it will likely change science pack recipes instead.
bobrevamp updates a few vanilla recipes to use bob stuff. it also re-organises the tech tree a little (Split oil research into mining -> processing, and so on)

Change log... First page of this topic!
microbat wrote:Hi guys, I have the game but I haven't started yet because I am waiting for bobs mods to be finished. (I did the campaign though). How long do you think I should wait before they will be mostly done? I was planning to wait a month but it looks like he made so much progress already. I don't really understand what some of them do though.
Hopefully I'll have most of the progress done over weekend. I'd say total first pass progress is 95% done, First pass is just to make things work, some values might still need playing with, etc. Second pass already has a few plans.
arbarbonif wrote:In bobplates, the bob-gold-plate recipe is only requiring 3 chlorine, instead of 30. I was wondering why I wasn't producing any alumina...
No, that is intentional. The original recipe only cost 0.5, therefore the "Fix" is to make it cost 5 instead. The fact that it only costs 3 is part of the rebalance, so that you end up producing less sodium hydroxide in the long run.

Anyway, progress report. I started the evening doing some bug fixing, then moved on to the warfare mod. I had to do research on changes in the game before I could make most of the serious changes, but I've ballanced the damages, and updated all the technology files. Tomorrow I'll work on updating the recipes, A lot of things in the warfare mod depend on alien artifacts existing, and that needs to be changed to the first choice item with a new fallback item.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

CitizenJoe
Inserter
Inserter

Post by CitizenJoe »

Cheers. Apparently I'm super blind >.<

NameLips
Inserter
Inserter

Post by NameLips »

I built my standard greenhouse layout today... and noticed something odd. Greenhouses don't produce seedlings anymore, just wood. Is that intentional?

Mobius1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Mobius1 »

bobingabout wrote:I don't know how useful it will be to you, but I did update "Small pump" MK2 to MK4 to the new standard, and the "small pump" of 0.5 units of fluid per... time, went up to 200. Given new measurements, that's still 40 times as powerful. And I similarly updated their speeds massively for 0.15. So although there's no water pump for fluid packing, there is still the pump that should be pretty fast.
I meant the barreler pump, it was 2x2 entity with crafting speed of 5 (MK4) 6 module slots with enough power to unbarrel 250k fluids per tick or something high like that, so a MK4 chemplant with 16 speed beacon MK3 coverage could produce, say, 500k hydrogen chloride per tick, a single machine with crafting speed of 260 or something like that, that way we could have a megabase production numbers in a small base-size factory conserving UPS and allowing 1 rocket per sec without much trouble.

But that's just me being greedy, I can make some bigger base setups to get the same result, its just that barreling and unbarreling with assembly machines, feels... wrong

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

NameLips wrote:I built my standard greenhouse layout today... and noticed something odd. Greenhouses don't produce seedlings anymore, just wood. Is that intentional?
Because I noticed it was confusing people. I receaved a fair few help requests from people who couldn't figure out that they needed to take them out and put them back in again.
Mobius1 wrote:
bobingabout wrote:I don't know how useful it will be to you, but I did update "Small pump" MK2 to MK4 to the new standard, and the "small pump" of 0.5 units of fluid per... time, went up to 200. Given new measurements, that's still 40 times as powerful. And I similarly updated their speeds massively for 0.15. So although there's no water pump for fluid packing, there is still the pump that should be pretty fast.
I meant the barreler pump, it was 2x2 entity with crafting speed of 5 (MK4) 6 module slots with enough power to unbarrel 250k fluids per tick or something high like that, so a MK4 chemplant with 16 speed beacon MK3 coverage could produce, say, 500k hydrogen chloride per tick, a single machine with crafting speed of 260 or something like that, that way we could have a megabase production numbers in a small base-size factory conserving UPS and allowing 1 rocket per sec without much trouble.

But that's just me being greedy, I can make some bigger base setups to get the same result, its just that barreling and unbarreling with assembly machines, feels... wrong
Read and comment about that here viewtopic.php?f=51&t=44498&start=40
I have been considering a barreling machine.
I also have a Patreon.

CitizenJoe
Inserter
Inserter

Post by CitizenJoe »

Oh, just realized what was seeming weird to me. The icons for the Bob's Materials, Bob's Gemstones and Bob's Components categories in the inventory are only showing the top left quarter of the full icon in-game instead of all four items that are supposed to be on each of them.

EDIT: Gemstones icon is the right one judging from the category.lua, but it feels like it should be the gems.png in the Technology folder instead, since its the correct resolution. Just my two cents.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

CitizenJoe wrote:Oh, just realized what was seeming weird to me. The icons for the Bob's Materials, Bob's Gemstones and Bob's Components categories in the inventory are only showing the top left quarter of the full icon in-game instead of all four items that are supposed to be on each of them.

EDIT: Gemstones icon is the right one judging from the category.lua, but it feels like it should be the gems.png in the Technology folder instead, since its the correct resolution. Just my two cents.
If you check the change log no the first page, you'll see I've actually fixed most of those changes, just haven't released them yet (I was probably planning on making more changes later, and thought it wasn't worth pushing an update through for a minor graphics update that wasn't breaking the game)

The gemstones one I didn't, but was wondering why it was only using a 32x32 icon. As you can imagine, I've been fairly busy trying to make things work, and just didn't look into it very thoroughly.
I also have a Patreon.

CitizenJoe
Inserter
Inserter

Post by CitizenJoe »

bobingabout wrote:
CitizenJoe wrote:Oh, just realized what was seeming weird to me. The icons for the Bob's Materials, Bob's Gemstones and Bob's Components categories in the inventory are only showing the top left quarter of the full icon in-game instead of all four items that are supposed to be on each of them.

If you check the change log no the first page, you'll see I've actually fixed most of those changes, just haven't released them yet (I was probably planning on making more changes later, and thought it wasn't worth pushing an update through for a minor graphics update that wasn't breaking the game)

The gemstones one I didn't, but was wondering why it was only using a 32x32 icon. As you can imagine, I've been fairly busy trying to make things work, and just didn't look into it very thoroughly.
I tried adding icon_size=64 tags to all the categories in all the mods earlier and it did nothing for some reason.... Not really a big deal tho. Keep up the good work!

microbat
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by microbat »

Thanks for the replies =) I am looking forward to seeing what bob comes up with in second pass.

TheDoctor89
Inserter
Inserter

Post by TheDoctor89 »

First I want to say I love your mods Bob and thank you for the work you are putting in to it!
Are there plans for you to upgrade Bob's Warfare to .15? I could really use the extra firepower this mod brings.

Thank you.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

TheDoctor89 wrote:First I want to say I love your mods Bob and thank you for the work you are putting in to it!
Are there plans for you to upgrade Bob's Warfare to .15? I could really use the extra firepower this mod brings.

Thank you.
From a few posts back
bobingabout wrote:Progress report. I started the evening doing some bug fixing, then moved on to the warfare mod. I had to do research on changes in the game before I could make most of the serious changes, but I've balanced the damages, and updated all the technology files. Tomorrow I'll work on updating the recipes, A lot of things in the warfare mod depend on alien artifacts existing, and that needs to be changed to the first choice item with a new fall back item.
I also have a Patreon.

TheDoctor89
Inserter
Inserter

Post by TheDoctor89 »

bobingabout wrote: From a few posts back
bobingabout wrote:Progress report. I started the evening doing some bug fixing, then moved on to the warfare mod. I had to do research on changes in the game before I could make most of the serious changes, but I've balanced the damages, and updated all the technology files. Tomorrow I'll work on updating the recipes, A lot of things in the warfare mod depend on alien artifacts existing, and that needs to be changed to the first choice item with a new fall back item.
Thank you for the report, I must have skipped over it by accident when reading the last few pages, sorry! I will await the release patiently.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

When I get to second pass though, I need to rebalance all the damages in the enemies mod too, I'm sure all my worms are underwhelming for a start, and most likely all the biters and spitters too.
I also have a Patreon.

TheTom
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TheTom »

Not to be picky, but I found them underwhelming from the start.

Double wall,

one line of gun turrets, one turret apart (gurre, 2 spaces, turret, 2 spaces)
Second line of sniping turrets, behind every 2nd gun turret

NEVER got ANY problem. Like not once ever.

And once you hit higher power armor - I could stand in a next without really loosing shields.

nagapito
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nagapito »

TheTom wrote:Not to be picky, but I found them underwhelming from the start.

Double wall,

one line of gun turrets, one turret apart (gurre, 2 spaces, turret, 2 spaces)
Second line of sniping turrets, behind every 2nd gun turret

NEVER got ANY problem. Like not once ever.

And once you hit higher power armor - I could stand in a next without really loosing shields.
Well... with a defence like that, backuped up with snipping turrets... they already were underwhelming in V14!

British_Petroleum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by British_Petroleum »

Yes in 0.14 the mk1 sniper turrets with the basic yellow ammo was all i ever needed, all the way to 100% evolution.
Last edited by British_Petroleum on Fri May 05, 2017 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Bob's mods”