[0.15.x] Bob's Mods: General Discussion

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

SirBriguy
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [0.15.x] Bob's Mods: General Discussion

Post by SirBriguy »

Hello Bob, love your mods.

Is there a particular reason some of the intermediate chemical recipes do not allow productivity modules. For example: Hydrogen Peroxide.

I did not know if that was intentional or just a bug.

npuldon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by npuldon »

It's a mod setting. You can tweak it in game

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I think there are a few holes in what should be allowed to have a productivity module applied to it right now, but...

Recall even in the base game, you can't just stick a productivity module in everything, my mods try and follow those guide lines.
But as pointed out, you CAN disable productivity filters in the options.

main menu->config->mods and find bobmodules in the list.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

British_Petroleum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by British_Petroleum »

Should productivity be allowed for heat tiles? It is with all the other rocket parts

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

British_Petroleum wrote:Should productivity be allowed for heat tiles? It is with all the other rocket parts
That's probably just one of the ones where I forgot to do it.

in fact I completely forgot about adding any filters at all for the recent rocket overhaul.
I also have a Patreon.

Hotet
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Hotet »

Somehow I can not find the "Sort Raw Ores" recipe, to sort "Unsorted gems ore", despite having Gems enabled (I assume since I can mine gems). All other craft recipes for gems are there as well. What could be the issue?

Factorio: 0.15.30
Mods all updated to latest.

My mods:

Code: Select all

angelsaddons
angelsinfiniteores
auto
autofill
bobassembly
bobelectronics
bobenemies
bobgreenhouse
bobinserters
boblibrary
boblogistics
bobmining
bobmodules
bobores
bobplates
bobpower
bobrevamp
bobtech
bobvehicleequipment
bobwarfare
Bottleneck
even
EvoGUI
Factorissimo2
FARL
LoaderRedux
long
rso
Squeak
upgrade
Warehousing

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Sort Raw Gems recipe is only available if you turn on the unsorted gem ore option in options->mods. If you don't turn it on then the unsorted gem ore item isn't given by anything, and therefore you don't need the recipe.
I also have a Patreon.

buggy123
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by buggy123 »

Speaking of gems, why do you get them in different ratios? I can understand that it makes more sense because the better gems are rarer, and it adds complexity, etc, and it wouldn't be a issue in base Bob's since there's nothing you need to mass produce that requires gems. However, if there's are any mass-production needs for them (Spacex, Ion cannon, and more), then they usually use them in a 1-1 ratio (eg, Ion cannon needs best type of laser turret, which requires 1 of the previous tiers to build, and each of the previous tiers needs 1 and only 1 gem of 1 type).

Unless you want a ever-growing surplus of low-tier gems, you need some sort of mod which adds a item disposal method, as there is no other use or sink for gems that does not use them in a 1-1 ratio.

I get the impression that you want players to avoid excess production,without relying on something like a item incinerator, right? If so, could we get some other use for gems to solve this problem?

Hotet
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Hotet »

bobingabout wrote:Sort Raw Gems recipe is only available if you turn on the unsorted gem ore option in options->mods. If you don't turn it on then the unsorted gem ore item isn't given by anything, and therefore you don't need the recipe.
That's the issue I have, I get the unsorted gem ore from mining the gem ore patches (along with the regular gem ores), but do not have the recipe. The option is unchecked, but as it is under the startup tab on the options menu, I can not change it. Or is there a way?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

buggy123 wrote:Speaking of gems, why do you get them in different ratios? I can understand that it makes more sense because the better gems are rarer, and it adds complexity, etc, and it wouldn't be a issue in base Bob's since there's nothing you need to mass produce that requires gems. However, if there's are any mass-production needs for them (Spacex, Ion cannon, and more), then they usually use them in a 1-1 ratio (eg, Ion cannon needs best type of laser turret, which requires 1 of the previous tiers to build, and each of the previous tiers needs 1 and only 1 gem of 1 type).

Unless you want a ever-growing surplus of low-tier gems, you need some sort of mod which adds a item disposal method, as there is no other use or sink for gems that does not use them in a 1-1 ratio.

I get the impression that you want players to avoid excess production,without relying on something like a item incinerator, right? If so, could we get some other use for gems to solve this problem?
You do have the options to change these ratios in options->Mods. The stepped ratios are fine for base bobs as you say, but adding these options to the game lets you change the ratios away from the default.
Hotet wrote:
bobingabout wrote:Sort Raw Gems recipe is only available if you turn on the unsorted gem ore option in options->mods. If you don't turn it on then the unsorted gem ore item isn't given by anything, and therefore you don't need the recipe.
That's the issue I have, I get the unsorted gem ore from mining the gem ore patches (along with the regular gem ores), but do not have the recipe. The option is unchecked, but as it is under the startup tab on the options menu, I can not change it. Or is there a way?

Code: Select all

if bobmods.ores.settings.UnsortedGemOre == true then
  bobmods.lib.resource.add_result("gem-ore", {name="gem-ore"})
else
  bobmods.lib.resource.add_result("gem-ore", {name="diamond-ore", probability = bobmods.gems.DiamondRatio})
  bobmods.lib.resource.add_result("gem-ore", {name="emerald-ore", probability = bobmods.gems.EmeraldRatio})
  bobmods.lib.resource.add_result("gem-ore", {name="amethyst-ore", probability = bobmods.gems.AmethystRatio})
  bobmods.lib.resource.add_result("gem-ore", {name="ruby-ore", probability = bobmods.gems.RubyRatio})
  bobmods.lib.resource.add_result("gem-ore", {name="sapphire-ore", probability = bobmods.gems.SapphireRatio})
  bobmods.lib.resource.add_result("gem-ore", {name="topaz-ore", probability = bobmods.gems.TopazRatio})
end
There is no way you can get both from my mod. it's either one or the other.
and with the way things are set up, you only get the recipe to sort unsorted gems if you actually get them.

If you are getting unsorted gems without the recipe, then it's probably caused by someone elses mod doing it, not mine. I did actually test this in a game to make sure, you only get one or the other when mining gems ore.
I also have a Patreon.

spitfire_23
Inserter
Inserter

Post by spitfire_23 »

I think there are a few holes in what should be allowed to have a productivity module applied to it right now, but...
While you're at it, what is the deal with which fluids are considered intermediate products? Like, Ammonia and Nitric Oxide are not intermediate products, but Nitrogen Dioxide is? It actually makes Hydrazine overwhelmingly the hardest part of the rocket to build because so few of its constituent parts can use productivity modules.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

spitfire_23 wrote:
While you're at it, what is the deal with which fluids are considered intermediate products? Like, Ammonia and Nitric Oxide are not intermediate products, but Nitrogen Dioxide is? It actually makes Hydrazine overwhelmingly the hardest part of the rocket to build because so few of its constituent parts can use productivity modules.
Ammonia and Nitric Oxide are part of the holes. Everything I did to the rocket changes hasn't had the productivity filters added yet.

And considering they've actually been calculated to make the "get more out than you put in" sane, ideally they're not supposed to.

I mean, one of the by-products is pure water, which is one of your inputs (infact the only 2 inputs are water and air), if you multiplied at every stage, you'd get more water out than you put in.
I also have a Patreon.

Vadise
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Vadise »

Greetings, this may end up being a shot in the dirt, but may as well put it out there, who knows!

I have been using Vehicle Equipment for a few weeks now, and I have been severely damaging by vehicles in a very consistent manner with the plasma weapons. I was wondering if there was a way to set a minimum range for the plasma weapons to fire, given that the AoE is 10, perhaps set the minimum range to 15. Being unable to manually fire these weapons is making them more dangerous to me than to the biters.

On a different note, are you planning on adding more gear to the repertoire? I definitely am loving it other than the unintended explosions. Modding your vehicles? yes please. Maybe add primitive chainguns that run on ammo of your vehicle inventory instead of energy for the early stage? Or plain old armor upgrades? At the cost of mobility for all unpowered equipment?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Vadise wrote:Greetings, this may end up being a shot in the dirt, but may as well put it out there, who knows!

I have been using Vehicle Equipment for a few weeks now, and I have been severely damaging by vehicles in a very consistent manner with the plasma weapons. I was wondering if there was a way to set a minimum range for the plasma weapons to fire, given that the AoE is 10, perhaps set the minimum range to 15. Being unable to manually fire these weapons is making them more dangerous to me than to the biters.

On a different note, are you planning on adding more gear to the repertoire? I definitely am loving it other than the unintended explosions. Modding your vehicles? yes please. Maybe add primitive chainguns that run on ammo of your vehicle inventory instead of energy for the early stage? Or plain old armor upgrades? At the cost of mobility for all unpowered equipment?
I thought I already did set a minimum range on them to try and solve this issue.
change log wrote:Vehicle equipment:
•v0.15.2:
◦added Plasma cannon minimum range 20
As for adding more gear... no current intentions. As far as I know, the only equipment you can add is modified versions of what the base game gives you, therefore weapons can only ever use electricity, never ammo (Unless you write modding scripts to monitor every vehicle, and check every weapon in it's grid to consume ammo every time it fires, but I'm not going to do that, those types of scripts are game crippling) and although you can add shields, you can't edit armor values (It's basically an extension of the personal armor grid, and the armor itself adds resistances, not the modules)

I remember when grids were first added in 0.14, there was the question by one of the devs "Lets add some new modable grid equipment to the game! What effects would you like to see?", unfortunately, despite lots of sugestions, I'm fairly sure NOTHING came as a result of this question.

Remember, to be able to mod something into the game, the devs first need to provide you with the ability to do it. You can do a lot of things with scripting, but unfortunately, scripting only gets you so far, and performance often suffers as a result, which is why I try not to use it.

GUIs work pretty well though, but the way they're written are designed to be GUI elements, not Windows, which does cause confusion with my inserters mod because you're presented with what looks like a window in the middle of the screen, that can't be moved, and can't be closed with Q or ESC.
I also have a Patreon.

Vadise
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Vadise »

I will have to experiment a bit more with the plasma guns to see what is causing the damage, do the plasma rounds track their target like the lasers do? could be that, since the biters do run at you at all times.

And I do remember Advanced Personal Defense has one such gun that uses ammo, sadly it was never updated to 0.15.

Thanks for the response, bob!

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Vadise wrote:do the plasma rounds track their target like the lasers do? could be that, since the biters do run at you at all times.
I've coded them in such a way that they're not supposed to... but they do anyway.
I also have a Patreon.

Vadise
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Vadise »

Ah well. I will be sure to stick them to aircraft. Thanks a lot, Bob! Greatly enjoying your mods!

peterf83
Inserter
Inserter

Post by peterf83 »

Is there something different with Tungstic Acid compared with other fluids? It seems to move very slowly through pipes. I am using Mk2 pumps with the standard iron pipes. I tried using the plastic pipes which have a larger diameter as I thought that might help but that is even worse. It's almost as if the acid is 'thick' and slow moving?

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

peterf83 wrote:Is there something different with Tungstic Acid compared with other fluids? It seems to move very slowly through pipes. I am using Mk2 pumps with the standard iron pipes. I tried using the plastic pipes which have a larger diameter as I thought that might help but that is even worse. It's almost as if the acid is 'thick' and slow moving?
Smaller pipes move fluids a lot faster over greater distances, larger pipes are good for short distances only.

There's a nice bit of discussion about pipes maybe 10-15 pages back which explains how fluids move through pipes and how to use pumps for best effect.

peterf83
Inserter
Inserter

Post by peterf83 »

Light wrote:
peterf83 wrote:Is there something different with Tungstic Acid compared with other fluids? It seems to move very slowly through pipes. I am using Mk2 pumps with the standard iron pipes. I tried using the plastic pipes which have a larger diameter as I thought that might help but that is even worse. It's almost as if the acid is 'thick' and slow moving?
Smaller pipes move fluids a lot faster over greater distances, larger pipes are good for short distances only.

There's a nice bit of discussion about pipes maybe 10-15 pages back which explains how fluids move through pipes and how to use pumps for best effect.
Thanks, that was an interesting read. It would be interesting to know if Tungstic Acid, Crude, Heavy oil & light oil are the only 'thick' liquids. How are you moving Tungstic acid around? I only have a short distance from chemical plants to storage tank, then short distance to train with fluid wagons. In theory plastic should be better, however plastic pipes performed worse than iron pipes. I might try barreling it, but that is a pain in my opinion.

Return to “Bob's mods”