[0.15.x] Bob's Mods: General Discussion

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

Mobius1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [0.15.x] Bob's Mods: General Discussion

Post by Mobius1 »

Airat9000 wrote::) Bug

Update your mods as these were fixed already in the newest version.

PiggyWhiskey
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by PiggyWhiskey »

Ran into an interesting bug/feature.

After Character Logistic Slots 23 (The infinite research) you can't access your Trash slots by clicking.
24, you have half off 1 trash line.
25, you have no clickable access to Trash slots.
26, you can't control your requests. The info is off the screen.

Granted, this is dependent on your resolution.
I'm playing windowed 1920x1080

To make it stretch out a bit more, perhaps only unlock 3 slots per infinite research, instead of the full 6

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

26? this is madness!

You're right, I should have put a limit on how many levels there actually are, as I did with character inventory size.

I'd probably lock it to about 20 then, a nice round number. that is still 120 slots!

Unfortunately, I don't want to have to change the number it unlocks, it sort of doesn't play nice when people have already researched some (Fairly sure it keeps the old numbers, or at least it used to)
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

nagapito
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nagapito »

Devs need to add scroll bars on the player inventory and logistic slots :P

I was also not aware that you could limit the max research level on an infinite research! That is interesting!!

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

The tag to set infinite research is "max_level = infinite," or something to that effect, you can quite easily set "max_level = 20" and, say the we're on a research ending with "-7" it will basically dynamically create a technology for everything between "-7" and "-20", though in game appear as a single research.

The new mining productivity research uses this, that's why it shows a 1 to 3, a 4 to 6 etc, rather than each item being it's own research entity, it uses the new infinite research system to create them.
I also have a Patreon.

obuw
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by obuw »

Hey Bob,

Is this the best topic to follow your progress on the mod updates? Seems like you've updated all your mods to 0.15 now, but from what I understand there are still a lot of changes you're working on? I'm holding off until things stabilize a bit (vanilla updates seem to be shaking things up too). Maybe if you could update the first sentence of the top post with the current overall status of the mods from time to time, people like me can follow the progress without doing a diff of the changelog with an older cached version. :)
Obuw's Warfare - Combat improvements

microbat
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by microbat »

Will Bobs mods do stuff to change the endgame to be more interesting?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

obuw wrote:Hey Bob,

Is this the best topic to follow your progress on the mod updates? Seems like you've updated all your mods to 0.15 now, but from what I understand there are still a lot of changes you're working on? I'm holding off until things stabilize a bit (vanilla updates seem to be shaking things up too). Maybe if you could update the first sentence of the top post with the current overall status of the mods from time to time, people like me can follow the progress without doing a diff of the changelog with an older cached version. :)
Yes, Sorry, I usually have my head buried too deep in code to think about keeping the first post up to date. I have been making a point to try and keep the change log up to date though. I've just updated the first post now.

Things are... I would say I've finally fully migrated from 0.14 to 0.15. There may be the odd hole or two that still need patching, but I'd consider it at the point for those waiting for it to be finished to jump back in.

microbat wrote:Will Bobs mods do stuff to change the endgame to be more interesting?
Yes. One of the posts I submitted recently was about my plans for rocket fuel. It might not be entirely real world accurate, but it is a lot more so than things are now.
This is one of those things that will likely go straight into my revamp mod. That mod actually mods my mods to a point, so it seems fitting that some of these changes make it into revamp rather than staying in the base mods.

Remember that although most of my mods will make small changes to items in the base game, Only Electronics, Modules and Revamp just dive in and start re-writing large chunks of the game.
Electronics, and Modules, as their name suggests, only change a specific area, which means that all generic sweeping changes outside of that will be in revamp mod.

The area I'm going to look at next will be the rocket part recipes. Low density structure will likely be made out of items like Aluminium and Titanium, Rocket fuel will get it's own entirely new chain, and what's the 3rd one, control units? that'll likely make heavy use of electronic components, rather than electronic circuits.
I also have a Patreon.

nagapito
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nagapito »

Since we are changing science and research... why not an infinite robot cargo storage?
And since that is way OP from the first moment, that is, level 4, just make it so that that you need to mine half the map to acquire one level :)

About endgame, are you planning to only touch fuel or also the other components, kinda like CMHMod Bobs End game forcing the rocket to be assembled with other bobs ores? On a end game balance point of view, that is to me more interesting then the rocket fuel!

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

nagapito wrote:Since we are changing science and research... why not an infinite robot cargo storage?
And since that is way OP from the first moment, that is, level 4, just make it so that that you need to mine half the map to acquire one level :)

About endgame, are you planning to only touch fuel or also the other components, kinda like CMHMod Bobs End game forcing the rocket to be assembled with other bobs ores? On a end game balance point of view, that is to me more interesting then the rocket fuel!
Well, I did say "Aluminium and Titanium" would be likely for the low density... thing, so, yes, I do plan to change more than just the fuel.
I also have a Patreon.

nagapito
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nagapito »

I just noticed that logistic packs recipe only gives one pack...Ouch...

Dont you think it might be a little to harsh? All other 'high cost' packs give 2. And joint the crafting time to the cost... they become a little expensive, no?

I noticed this when planning a factory that could output 2k packs before mods/beacons and noticed that I would require 143 assembly 6 when all other packs where around 60 (except science 3, 115 because of higher time and only 1 has result)

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

nagapito wrote:I just noticed that logistic packs recipe only gives one pack...Ouch...

Dont you think it might be a little to harsh? All other 'high cost' packs give 2. And joint the crafting time to the cost... they become a little expensive, no?

I noticed this when planning a factory that could output 2k packs before mods/beacons and noticed that I would require 143 assembly 6 when all other packs where around 60 (except science 3, 115 because of higher time and only 1 has result)
it was originally a lot cheaper, but people advised me to replace fast belt with express belt, and add the robot frame. so I did.
when you post numbers like that though, it does sound like it should give 2 packs per run.
I also have a Patreon.

SpeedDaemon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by SpeedDaemon »

PacifyerGrey wrote:While it is fine for the vanilla game, Bob's mods add so many resources and intermediates that it becomes generally near to nonsense to transport stuff via belts so I would vote for enabling logistic network at blue science in Bob's mods. Ok maybe with added new logistic science pack but no way with high tech as vanilla suggests.
Nah... This is my Bob's map that launches a little over 3 rockets per second. Only logistics bots on the map are the 50 or so that fill my character logistics slots when I'm in range of the single roboport...
http://theharms.org/misc/factorio-pics/plaid-rockets/
:D

septemberWaves
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by septemberWaves »

SpeedDaemon wrote:
PacifyerGrey wrote:While it is fine for the vanilla game, Bob's mods add so many resources and intermediates that it becomes generally near to nonsense to transport stuff via belts so I would vote for enabling logistic network at blue science in Bob's mods. Ok maybe with added new logistic science pack but no way with high tech as vanilla suggests.
Nah... This is my Bob's map that launches a little over 3 rockets per second. Only logistics bots on the map are the 50 or so that fill my character logistics slots when I'm in range of the single roboport...
http://theharms.org/misc/factorio-pics/plaid-rockets/
:D
That is an incredible map you have there. Three rockets per second is a monumental achievement, particularly with the complexity of Bob's mods. And I like that it's not bot-based; I also tend to prefer using belts whenever possible because it just seems so much more interesting than the relative ease of a bot-based setup (though I make regular use of construction robots, and I tend to use logistics bots for resupplying the character).

Mobius1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Mobius1 »

Could it be possible to move the gun and sniper turrets to their own group on the bonuses screen tab?
So we don't have something like this: The laser turrets are nicely stacking on their own group, but the gun turrets are on individual groups, like 1 group per turret tier.

PiggyWhiskey
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by PiggyWhiskey »

I think some values for the Steam Turbines are off a tad.
It's more efficient to connect Mk1 Steam Turbine with Mk4 Boilers than to use Mk2 or Mk3 Engines.
Screenshot
My math may be off though.
I was using information from Bob in this post, viewtopic.php?f=51&t=46411&p=270757

If I'm not mistaken, it means resources are slightly more expensive but don't need Red Circuits/Oil/Plastic.
Turbine:
120 Iron
50 Copper

Mk3 Engines:
81 Iron
25 Copper
10 Steel
10 Plastic

Although, I just went through the research tree,
Turbines need Nuclear Power, 1000 of Red/Green/Blue, but the Mk3 Engines only need Red/Green and 50 Blue for Mk3.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

Is Bob's config mod currently deprecated or you have just not yet upgraded it to 0.15?

PiggyWhiskey
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by PiggyWhiskey »

Depreciated.

It's built into the game to modify mod configs.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Mobius1 wrote:Could it be possible to move the gun and sniper turrets to their own group on the bonuses screen tab?
So we don't have something like this: The laser turrets are nicely stacking on their own group, but the gun turrets are on individual groups, like 1 group per turret tier.
Not really, due to the way the base game handles the gun turret.
PiggyWhiskey wrote:I think some values for the Steam Turbines are off a tad.
It's more efficient to connect Mk1 Steam Turbine with Mk4 Boilers than to use Mk2 or Mk3 Engines.
Screenshot
My math may be off though.
I was using information from Bob in this post, viewtopic.php?f=51&t=46411&p=270757

If I'm not mistaken, it means resources are slightly more expensive but don't need Red Circuits/Oil/Plastic.
Turbine:
120 Iron
50 Copper

Mk3 Engines:
81 Iron
25 Copper
10 Steel
10 Plastic

Although, I just went through the research tree,
Turbines need Nuclear Power, 1000 of Red/Green/Blue, but the Mk3 Engines only need Red/Green and 50 Blue for Mk3.
You also are neglecting an important stat. Efficiency. the MK3 steam engine has a 120% efficiency, where the steam turbine MK1 only has a 100% efficiency. Okay, sure, MK3 steam turbines also have this 120% efficiency, and therefore all around would be the best as they give the maximum power from the steam of any boiler, but from normal boilers, a MK3 steam engine will give you 20% more electricity than a MK1 steam turbine.

it is also true that a steam turbine will consume twice as much water as the steam engine counterpart too, so if you have access to a MK3 steam engine, but only a MK1 steam turbine, you have to decide if you just want fewer generators, or if you want to squeeze out as much power from the steam as possible.

also, yes, your math is way out. you can run 1.33 MK3 steam engines from a MK1 boiler.
PacifyerGrey wrote:Is Bob's config mod currently deprecated or you have just not yet upgraded it to 0.15?
PiggyWhiskey wrote:Depreciated.

As said, the ability to configure mods is now part of the base game, so you don't need a config mod anymore.
I also have a Patreon.

nagapito
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nagapito »

bobingabout wrote:
PacifyerGrey wrote:Is Bob's config mod currently deprecated or you have just not yet upgraded it to 0.15?
PiggyWhiskey wrote:Depreciated.

As said, the ability to configure mods is now part of the base game, so you don't need a config mod anymore.
Unless they change how the settings are stored, I will start defending for a config mod again and deprecate the settings system...

Why?

Try, disabling your mods so you can play some different configuration of mods or even vanilla. When you enable them back, all settings are lost and you revert back to default!!!!

At least, with configs, you changed them to your like and they would stay that way until you updated mods and when that happened, you know you had to change them.
They made the settings system so its easier to config and share the mod settings but it just become worst since it completely forgets disabled mod settings....

And the dev that received my bug report kinda said 'I am sorry, leave with it'. I reinforced the report and suggested that maybe the settings should be saved in the mods folder, so at least, if I switch the folder (with line-commands, windows links, etc) I keep the settings with the 'mod pack'.

Lets see what they reply... Have to say, that the silence might be good, they might actually being discussing it :)

Return to “Bob's mods”