[0.15.x] Bob's Mods: General Discussion

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

Shielder
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [0.15.x] Bob's Mods: General Discussion

Post by Shielder »

Hello bob Will there be vanilla module textures? I would like to see them very much ..

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

eloquentJane wrote:I can't seem to find patches of lithia water on the map. Ground water is generating, every ore appears to be generating (as far as I can tell, I haven't seen them all but I'm using RSO and I've seen as many as I'd expect to by this point in the game), but I can't find the lithia patches. If I remember correctly they were a separate patch to the normal ground water in the previous game version, so I'm somewhat confused by their apparent absence now. Unless they're just particularly rare, and that - combined with RSO - means that they'll generate a lot more sparsely than ground water.
Please try on latest version - I updated some stuff version or two ago and was testing then so all should be spawned.
If it's still not appearing then post me the save/mods on RSO forum to check.

septemberWaves
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by septemberWaves »

orzelek wrote:Please try on latest version - I updated some stuff version or two ago and was testing then so all should be spawned.
I am using the latest version. I have actually just discovered a few patches of lithia water. It seems that it's just more rare than I had anticipated.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

eloquentJane wrote:
orzelek wrote:Please try on latest version - I updated some stuff version or two ago and was testing then so all should be spawned.
I am using the latest version. I have actually just discovered a few patches of lithia water. It seems that it's just more rare than I had anticipated.
They are set up to be equal... but rng likes to mess things up :D

I would like some feedback about general resource layout with RSO on latest version since I rebalanced it a bit based on bob's definitions.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

eloquentJane wrote:I can't seem to find patches of lithia water on the map. Ground water is generating, every ore appears to be generating (as far as I can tell, I haven't seen them all but I'm using RSO and I've seen as many as I'd expect to by this point in the game), but I can't find the lithia patches. If I remember correctly they were a separate patch to the normal ground water in the previous game version, so I'm somewhat confused by their apparent absence now. Unless they're just particularly rare, and that - combined with RSO - means that they'll generate a lot more sparsely than ground water.
If you're using RSO, I can't do anything about it at all, RSO completely takes over resource generation.
orzelek wrote:
eloquentJane wrote:
They are set up to be equal... but rng likes to mess things up :D

I would like some feedback about general resource layout with RSO on latest version since I rebalanced it a bit based on bob's definitions.
If you followed my advice, should be good
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

nagapito
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nagapito »

Hummmm, Logistic science pack....

Not sure.... Would make sense if it was used in other logistics. At the same time...doing logistics 4 and 5 with a pack that takes red belt...

I am also kinda indecise about changing vanilla tech requirements. Love the mod for the alien tech. Dont mind the recipe changes, they can easily be overwritten with adding an optional dependency to your mod but changing the tech science pack requirements on any tech that is not yours... I have mixed feelings about that.

Makes other mods that try to tweak science packs recipes end up with an unexpected balance... But hey,... I have alien tech \o/ (on a bitterless map! :P Just wanted it to play with angels bio processing and forcing full tech tree research to have one more layer of complexity)

Muki
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Muki »

hey!

About the alien artifacts and the alien science, I just noticed a dead end if you disable the bitter evolution on your map. I must admit, this is not the goal of having enemies + warfare + tech enabled without the bitters but I just noticed that on a testing map.

By the way, I love the way you kept the alien science ;)
Bitters are always a part of my games (especially with rampant AI)

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Killing biter nests will give green, blue and purple artifacts, spitter nests yellow, orange and red. So you should be able to get those packs even without evolution, just not from aliens.

As for the lack of use of the logistics pack so far... I need to update my mods to check if it exists. As for base game tech, I need to make a list of what would make sense to change.

Also, I should add an option to enable science pack updates, the logistic pack, and alien science, so you aren't forced into an all of nothing situation.

Though, keep in mind that the current mod is basically just to show off the direction I've decided to move towards. Feedback and suggestions are welcome.
I also have a Patreon.

Recon777
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Recon777 »

I just noticed someone made a mod called Bob's Mods: Alternate Textures.
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Necripto ... s_gfxtweak

Honestly, they look pretty good. Especially that it has replaced those nasty old ammo textures. What do you think?

Is there a plan to replace some of the old less-normalized textures in the mod suite?

CitizenJoe
Inserter
Inserter

Post by CitizenJoe »

Recon777 wrote:I just noticed someone made a mod called Bob's Mods: Alternate Textures.

Honestly, they look pretty good. Especially that it has replaced those nasty old ammo textures. What do you think?
PLS SPOILER TAG KTHNX
Is there a plan to replace some of the old less-normalized textures in the mod suite?
I/We already asked if he wanted to use them, and hes probably not likely to update them anytime soon. Hence why they're in the mod. :(

Muki
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Muki »

bobingabout wrote:
Though, keep in mind that the current mod is basically just to show off the direction I've decided to move towards. Feedback and suggestions are welcome.
I love the idea of the bronze plate in the science pack 3. Bronze was one of the plate with a low usage in 0.14.
As the logistic pack, if I understand your direction it's more like a science pack 2.5, but this is too easy in my opinion. why not exploring a heavier approach of it, more like a "science pack 4" with a recipe more composed of
flying frame
express belt - spliter or stack inserter
something from the rails part, rails or even train stop

this could make more sens to me, having a production pack and a logistic pack about the same level more or less.

Recon777
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Recon777 »

>> Bronze was one of the plate with a low usage in 0.14.

True, that. Though using it for science would drastically increase tin consumption.

Speaking of consumption, has anyone noticed how crazy expensive the red and blue belts (especially underground belts) are now in vanilla? I almost feel like (at the very least) Blue should be scaled back. The jump to green and purple isn't nearly as painful as the jump to blue. And with blue being part of science, that's going to send the iron costs for research through the roof. Disproportionate to other materials, anyway.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Recon777 wrote:I just noticed someone made a mod called Bob's Mods: Alternate Textures.

I'm not going to replace the electronics. It doesn't matter if those are the same as th ebase game or not, as all originals are replaced.
In fact, the ones that you think of as old, are actually brand new in the previous version, someone put some effects on some of mine, and created matching versions of others. Since they're supposed to look like real circuit boards, those are fitting. The ammo ones, I'll consider it later, after I've done with making things stable and ballanced.
Muki wrote: I love the idea of the bronze plate in the science pack 3. Bronze was one of the plate with a low usage in 0.14.
As the logistic pack, if I understand your direction it's more like a science pack 2.5, but this is too easy in my opinion. why not exploring a heavier approach of it, more like a "science pack 4" with a recipe more composed of
flying frame
express belt - spliter or stack inserter
something from the rails part, rails or even train stop

this could make more sens to me, having a production pack and a logistic pack about the same level more or less.
Making Logistics pack more like science pack 4 is something I could aim towards, however, since I've already changed Logistics 3 to require logistics pack, that means I can't use anything unlocked by Logistics 3, such as Express belts!
Flying robot frame is something I considered, and probably will go with it, but would require checking to make sure I'm not blocking anything in the process
Recon777 wrote:Speaking of consumption, has anyone noticed how crazy expensive the red and blue belts (especially underground belts) are now in vanilla? I almost feel like (at the very least) Blue should be scaled back. The jump to green and purple isn't nearly as painful as the jump to blue. And with blue being part of science, that's going to send the iron costs for research through the roof. Disproportionate to other materials, anyway.
Which is one reason why I went with Red, I considered blue, but then scaled back to red mostly because of that. As for my Green and Purple, those need ballancing to the new costs, I need to remove my recipe overrides for vanilla belts too (Assuming they've finally made the recipes consistant, I heard they have.)
I also have a Patreon.

xaegr
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by xaegr »

Hello!
In 0.15, when you are place a vanilla radar it shows an coverage overlay on minimap for other radars and placed one.
Unfortunately this doesn't work for your warfare radars :( Can you look into it next time when you update the mod? I hope that it is just some simple tag that you can add.

Thanks, love your mods.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Radars is basically just one of those where I... well, I already had to make quite a few changes just to make the mod load in 0.15, but when it did...
Radars is one of those where it just seemed to work, so I didn't check for any code changes, tanks too.

Which is basically what I promiced for first pass, I need to do a more thorough second pass to fix issues like that. Thanks for the report.
I also have a Patreon.

nagapito
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nagapito »

Basically, bob is saying that we now need to give him a couple weeks to play with his mods so he can discover all the problems and what rebalance the mods might need.

The fact that he also deserves to play with his own mods and have fun is totally irrelevant and should be ignored in this discussion :P

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

nagapito wrote:Basically, bob is saying that we now need to give him a couple weeks to play with his mods so he can discover all the problems and what rebalance the mods might need.

The fact that he also deserves to play with his own mods and have fun is totally irrelevant and should be ignored in this discussion :P
I've basically done nothing but mod for the last 2 weeks. To say I'm bored, and need a break from it would be an accurate assessment. Fortunately, the motivation to continue isn't gone yet!

Also if I actually got around to playing my mod, yes, I would notice things that need changing, I've mostly been reliant on bug reports and code comparison so far. (A lot of changes I've made to balance were done basically by comparing the 0.14 code with the 0.15 code)
I also have a Patreon.

clairaoswald
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by clairaoswald »

Are you going to add back in bottles and plastic containers? Universal barreling simplifies things too much.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

clairaoswald wrote:Are you going to add back in bottles and plastic containers? Universal barreling simplifies things too much.
Yes and no...
The game creates the barrels if you want it to or not. The plan for now is to create a barrelling machine, and move the recipes to use that instead of the assembling machine. Then I can do icon and name overrides for the bottles and plastic containers so they look like they did before, but they'll all still go through the same barrelling machine.
I also have a Patreon.

nagapito
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nagapito »

bobingabout wrote:
clairaoswald wrote:Are you going to add back in bottles and plastic containers? Universal barreling simplifies things too much.
Yes and no...
The game creates the barrels if you want it to or not. The plan for now is to create a barrelling machine, and move the recipes to use that instead of the assembling machine. Then I can do icon and name overrides for the bottles and plastic containers so they look like they did before, but they'll all still go through the same barrelling machine.
Ohhh... I can see so many problems in the future :P

Angel also gave up on his barreling system (he was trying to hide vanillas one and causing a lot of issues) and he is trying to implement some kind of auto barreling.
I would be fine with all this if one of the mods took over the other, removing any other mechanic and making sure the mod supported all fluids in the game.

Without it, we endup with 2,3,4... diferent methods of barreling. One of them, even hidden and automatic. Dont like it!

Return to “Bob's mods”