[0.15.x] Bob's Mods: General Discussion

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

kinnom
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.15.x] Bob's Mods: General Discussion

Post by kinnom »

the inserters dont put it in the furnace and if i try it manually the game crashes[/quote]
Please make a post on the Bugs forum (and don't forget to include a log)[/quote]
The error is that I haven't included a fuel type on carbon and synthetic wood in bobplates yet. (I think that's the issue anyway)[/quote]
He's saying that the game hard crashed, which mods should not be able to cause. Instead they should just return you to the main menu with an error message.
no yes yes no yes no yes yes

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

kinnom wrote:the inserters dont put it in the furnace and if i try it manually the game crashes
Please make a post on the Bugs forum (and don't forget to include a log)[/quote]
The error is that I haven't included a fuel type on carbon and synthetic wood in bobplates yet. (I think that's the issue anyway)[/quote]
He's saying that the game hard crashed, which mods should not be able to cause. Instead they should just return you to the main menu with an error message.[/quote]
Should probably report it anyway, because it's fairly obvious that the game isn't catching a possible game breaking error in the mod (Nearly all other issues that could do this can't make it to game loading because the game brings up an error message during game startup)
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

oLaudix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by oLaudix »

New version of Bob's Modules from DropBox still screams about alien artifact and science pack. I know there were plans to bring that back so am I missing some dependancy or is it valid error? I have everything else up-to-date. Except enemies which i dont use.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

oLaudix wrote:New version of Bob's Modules from DropBox still screams about alien artifact and science pack. I know there were plans to bring that back so am I missing some dependancy or is it valid error? I have everything else up-to-date. Except enemies which i dont use.
Because I looked at the science and saw it using the module specific science, and moved on to other things. I'll take a look and weed out the issues. Thanks for pointing that out for me.

It didn't pop up for me because I do actually have bobtech updated, but not released(Because I'm not sure what to do with it yet, there has been no call for anything beyond production science pack yet). And since the configuration I'm testing things with has alien artifacts enabled, the tech mod does actually add alien science pack back in. Therefore, I'm missing that error.
I also have a Patreon.

Aeraggo
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Aeraggo »

There appears to be an unusual interaction between the Assembling Machines mod and Sandbox mode. For some reason Copper Cables and Electronic Circuits become unable to be crafted by hand. As such, you can't really do anything since both labs (to research Automation) and assembly machines (to craft said items) require circuits.

teiichi
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by teiichi »

Just updated a few mods and i'm having a problem with Bob's Modules when i remove it there is no problem and i went in and manually resized cyan-module-1.png which is why it shows module-2
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (43.78 KiB) Viewed 7105 times
I looked though the code and i didn't see a Icon_size property.

and help would be great and bob thank you so much for these mods and updating them so fast

kizwn84
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by kizwn84 »

bobingabout wrote:
oLaudix wrote:New version of Bob's Modules from DropBox still screams about alien artifact and science pack. I know there were plans to bring that back so am I missing some dependancy or is it valid error? I have everything else up-to-date. Except enemies which i dont use.
Because I looked at the science and saw it using the module specific science, and moved on to other things. I'll take a look and weed out the issues. Thanks for pointing that out for me.

It didn't pop up for me because I do actually have bobtech updated, but not released(Because I'm not sure what to do with it yet, there has been no call for anything beyond production science pack yet). And since the configuration I'm testing things with has alien artifacts enabled, the tech mod does actually add alien science pack back in. Therefore, I'm missing that error.
Instead of using the alien artifact, might be more interesting for the module to use 'Space science pack' as for the end game while retaining vanilla module as intended.

The upgrade beacon still use the same pack as original but with twice/trice multiplier on pack per previous upgrade version.

BreakingForce
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by BreakingForce »

o/ greets. as someone pretty new to the game, i'm unfamiliar with your stuff. looking through the "most downloaded" section of the mod portal, it's clear that you win. super popular. which probably says something about the quality of your mods. i'd guess. my only real problem with just spazzing out and grabbing all your stuff is that not a single one of your mod's description pages tell me more than a phrase about what any of them do. so my question, i guess, is "what does the suite of bob's mods do? why should i download any of these?" (that second one spoken rhetorically...i have the functions library, inserters, assembling machines, and mining already...and the library just in case any of the others needs it *shrug*) some sort of overall description or statement of intent or something would be nice.

Recon777
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Recon777 »

BreakingForce wrote:o/ greets. as someone pretty new to the game, i'm unfamiliar with your stuff. looking through the "most downloaded" section of the mod portal, it's clear that you win. super popular. which probably says something about the quality of your mods. i'd guess. my only real problem with just spazzing out and grabbing all your stuff is that not a single one of your mod's description pages tell me more than a phrase about what any of them do. so my question, i guess, is "what does the suite of bob's mods do? why should i download any of these?" (that second one spoken rhetorically...i have the functions library, inserters, assembling machines, and mining already...and the library just in case any of the others needs it *shrug*) some sort of overall description or statement of intent or something would be nice.
Think of it as a "total conversion". By default, you should probably grab everything. And then, if you find that certain bits of it are just not to your liking, you might be able to remove them.

Also, at this time, the mod suite is in VERY active development and undergoing constant redesign to account for the massive changes which 0.15 brought to the base game. The 0.14 version of Bob's mod suite is pretty solid though.

Recon777
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Recon777 »

Hey Bob, is this intentional?

The old icon for the Intermediates menu is better.

catpig
Inserter
Inserter

Post by catpig »

Arch666Angel wrote:The error you have encountered with the recipe function is the same error I have in the functions I have in my mods, so after that is fixed by Exasperation (the genius behind the override functions) it should all be fine on that side and it's up to tweaking recipes and overrides again. Until then you have the choice to use either mods, not both.
First of all, many thanks for all your great work. Vanilla Factorio is nice, but Bobangel Factorio may be one of the best games ever written.

Just in case it helps, here is the error thrown by angelsrefining when bobplates is active: 10.265 Error ModManager.cpp:782: Failed to load mod "angelsrefining": __angelsrefining__/prototypes/override-functions.lua:283: bad argument #1 to 'pairs' (table expected, got nil)

Deactivating that leads to this (but i think infiniteores requires refining): 7.695 Error ModManager.cpp:782: Failed to load mod "angelsinfiniteores": __angelsinfiniteores__/data.lua:111: attempt to index field 'config' (a nil value)

Other than that I don't think I've encountered any mod-related bugs yet, inspite of gradually activating them on an existing game as they become available.

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

catpig wrote:
Arch666Angel wrote:The error you have encountered with the recipe function is the same error I have in the functions I have in my mods, so after that is fixed by Exasperation (the genius behind the override functions) it should all be fine on that side and it's up to tweaking recipes and overrides again. Until then you have the choice to use either mods, not both.
First of all, many thanks for all your great work. Vanilla Factorio is nice, but Bobangel Factorio may be one of the best games ever written.

Just in case it helps, here is the error thrown by angelsrefining when bobplates is active: 10.265 Error ModManager.cpp:782: Failed to load mod "angelsrefining": __angelsrefining__/prototypes/override-functions.lua:283: bad argument #1 to 'pairs' (table expected, got nil)

Deactivating that leads to this (but i think infiniteores requires refining): 7.695 Error ModManager.cpp:782: Failed to load mod "angelsinfiniteores": __angelsinfiniteores__/data.lua:111: attempt to index field 'config' (a nil value)

Other than that I don't think I've encountered any mod-related bugs yet, inspite of gradually activating them on an existing game as they become available.
Yeah the first error is related to the override functions because they changed the way recipes look. The other error is due to infiniteores is asuming that you have bobconfig when playing with bobs and using it for setting up ores and everything map generation related, since the bobconfig mod is going away I have to change that to bobores and look into getting all the settings from there.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Arch666Angel wrote:
catpig wrote:

Yeah the first error is related to the override functions because they changed the way recipes look. The other error is due to infiniteores is asuming that you have bobconfig when playing with bobs and using it for setting up ores and everything map generation related, since the bobconfig mod is going away I have to change that to bobores and look into getting all the settings from there.
Small hint: settings are global.
You just need to look up names in bobsores and you can easily use them.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

kizwn84 wrote:Instead of using the alien artifact, might be more interesting for the module to use 'Space science pack' as for the end game while retaining vanilla module as intended.

The upgrade beacon still use the same pack as original but with twice/trice multiplier on pack per previous upgrade version.
oh, right, if you don't have gems it defaults to alien artifact. I need to fix that.
Recon777 wrote:Hey Bob, is this intentional?

The old icon for the Intermediates menu is better.
When there's only a few mods installed, my "Intermediates" icon (the bottle) is used. when more mods are installed, the intermediates start to get a bit full, so it splits them across multiple tabs, and the icon changes to reflect a bit more refinement of what is in that tab.
teiichi wrote:Just updated a few mods and i'm having a problem with Bob's Modules when i remove it there is no problem and i went in and manually resized cyan-module-1.png which is why it shows module-2

I looked though the code and i didn't see a Icon_size property.
Yup, need to fix that too. Though that is a bit of a base game error, the new default is supposed to be 32, so if you don't specify a size, it should go to 32. it seems to be a bit... random as to if it works or not right now.
Aeraggo wrote:There appears to be an unusual interaction between the Assembling Machines mod and Sandbox mode. For some reason Copper Cables and Electronic Circuits become unable to be crafted by hand. As such, you can't really do anything since both labs (to research Automation) and assembly machines (to craft said items) require circuits.
I should probably add a config to turn off electronics assembly machine options to fix that. The issue is that I'm adding the category to player.player, the player character, but there is no way to add the category to god mode that I know of.
I also have a Patreon.

nagapito
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nagapito »

orzelek wrote:
Arch666Angel wrote:
catpig wrote:

Small hint: settings are global.
You just need to look up names in bobsores and you can easily use them.

A little off topic but... since the settings are global, can I override the default values with a second mod that has the first mod registered as a dependency?
Like, make my mod depend on, let say, bob's modules, and on my data.lua set values to the settings? Then my values would be the ones used right?

And what would happen if the user changed the settings. Will my mod always override user configuration on client load?

Codex
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Codex »

Hey Bob,

when you found out how to fix that pesky icon_size problem please tell me. I'm supporting a mod (DistancePlus) and get the same error (although all my icons are 32x32)...
I already tried to add an "icon_size" property but I dont know the syntax.
I tried:

icon_size = {32, 32},

and

icon_size = {{0, 0}, {32, 32}},

just below the line where the icon is defined (icon = ... whatever.png)

But both are not recognized as valid propertys...

Cheers,
Codex

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

nagapito wrote:A little off topic but... since the settings are global, can I override the default values with a second mod that has the first mod registered as a dependency?
Like, make my mod depend on, let say, bob's modules, and on my data.lua set values to the settings? Then my values would be the ones used right?

And what would happen if the user changed the settings. Will my mod always override user configuration on client load?
If you were to overide them, then you would overide the settings menu, yes.

However, since I define and use them in the same phase, the only way for you to overide them would be to do it on the module itself, not using my settings.

Pretty much everything that can be configured adds an option to the ingame menu now though, so I'm not sure why you'd want to overide my settings.
Codex wrote:Hey Bob,

when you found out how to fix that pesky icon_size problem please tell me. I'm supporting a mod (DistancePlus) and get the same error (although all my icons are 32x32)...
I already tried to add an "icon_size" property but I dont know the syntax.
It assumes a square, so it's literally just icon_size = 32.
I also have a Patreon.

Codex
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Codex »

Ohhh... I was thinking too complicated... *facepalm*

Thank you...

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

arbarbonif wrote:The hotkeys for changing the orientation of inserters seems messed up in the .15 version. In the controls menu it only shows an option for changing output, not input, direction. Without any researches it works as advertised (though you can't change input), but if you research more inserters it starts messing up. It ends up changing both the input and output in weird (though deterministic) ways. The UI is working fine tho.
Sorry for taking so long to respond.

Shift + L changes input range
Shift + N changes output range.

They both work as intended

Shift and R rotates the input location, as it sugests, however, it also triggers base games R for rotate at the same time, so things seem messed up.
I also have a Patreon.

nagapito
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nagapito »

bobingabout wrote:
nagapito wrote:A little off topic but... since the settings are global, can I override the default values with a second mod that has the first mod registered as a dependency?

If you were to overide them, then you would overide the settings menu, yes.

However, since I define and use them in the same phase, the only way for you to overide them would be to do it on the module itself, not using my settings.

Pretty much everything that can be configured adds an option to the ingame menu now though, so I'm not sure why you'd want to overide my settings.
I made the mod that changes your modules to have vanilla bonuses, so they arent so powerful. The modules bonuses I am overriding on the module itself since your 'step' system makes configuring the intermediary values a lot of trouble and results in strange values for the intermediary levels. And it also does not allow to have different energy bonuses per module type.
But my issue is with the raw/green/god and productivity effect options. If I could override them when the mod is present, the player would not have to go disable them manually.

In the end, its a small inconvenient that I am willing to live with but was curious if there was a way of doing it properly.

Return to “Bob's mods”