[0.12.x][v0.12.12] Bob's Metals, Chemicals and Intermediates

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

Which of the new v0.7 additions do you like the best?

Advanced Electronics 3 with CPUs
25%
The Nitrogen/Ceramic chain
17%
The new Pumps and barrel/bottle recipes
11%
The new types of pipes
11%
Factory reballancing
14%
The new Electrolyser graphics!
23%

Total votes: 234

kingoftheinternet
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [0.12.x][v0.12.11] Bob's Metals, Chemicals and Intermediates

Post by kingoftheinternet »

bobingabout wrote:Yays... First update of the new year!

Plates 0.12.11:
* Polishing wheel synthetic wood recipe set to 2 seconds.
* Electrolysis reballance (water electrolysis and salt water electrolysis recipe)
* Fixed power consumption of Electrolyser MK1 to 180kW from 144kW, bringing it to 225kJ per time 1 recipe. (MK2 is 200, MK3 180, MK4 160)
* Added Sulfur Dioxide venting
* Changed Nickel processing recipe to give Sulfur Dioxide instead of Sulfuric Acid (same as lead oxide)
* Added barrelled water and lithia water, with fill and empty recipe (Ready to remove the from ground recipe in favor of mining splotches)
* Fixed broken migration script including electronics stuff that has been removed from the mod.
* Removed productivity limitation addition of sort gem ore recipe, the recipe isn't in this mod.
* Solid Fuel from hydrogen now requires a peice of coal too. (to eliminate the perpetual motion machine. Think of it as using hydrogen to upgrade coal to fuel blocks.)
* Adjusted Alien acid fluid colour slightly.

Please note: the change to the Nickel recipe will break your factory layout.
Bravo! I like the coal+hydrogen solution a lot :)

Edit: Also, you need to update the version number in info.json.
Last edited by kingoftheinternet on Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Malachite
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Malachite »

Yay! Thank you, Mr. Awesome Mod Developer!

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Supercheese »

Hey bob, you forgot to increment the version number in info.json; it still says:

Code: Select all

"version": "0.12.10",
Nice update otherwise! :)

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Ah, bollocks x3

I'll fix that and re-upload it.

I'm not going to increase the number for this change.

EDIT: Re-Uploaded to all 3 locations. (bobingabout.gamemod.net, dropbox and factoriomods.com)
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

apanuka10
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by apanuka10 »

I have a problem i cant use any electricity because i cant even make any boiler because i do need the basic electronic board but i cant even research them is that a bug or can u help me? :?:

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

apanuka10 wrote:I have a problem i cant use any electricity because i cant even make any boiler because i do need the basic electronic board but i cant even research them is that a bug or can u help me? :?:
1. Basic Electronic Circuit Board isn't added in this mod, it is added in my Electronics mod... but I'll put this one aside.
2. none of my mods edit the boiler, therefore it shouldn't require electronics at all, because the base game recipe is a furnace + a pipe.

Therefore... you must have another mod installed that adds a requirement of electronics to the boiler.

Since what was the old electronic circuit effectively becomes a T2 item in my electronics mod, the short answer would be to say that whatever mod is adding electronics to the boiler is not compatable with my electronics mod.
I also have a Patreon.

Captain Taz
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Captain Taz »

Hey, I love your mods, with all the new ore ans such it's been a blast and has brought new life to my game, but all the chemicals and liquids are a bit too much for me...

Is there a config option that ONLY adds the ores (and their recipes) and not all the pipe-based things? I've gotten to a point in the game where I HAVE to start making these things and liquid/gas balancing (keeping everything in use) is not something I enjoy in the slightest...

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Captain Taz wrote:Hey, I love your mods, with all the new ore ans such it's been a blast and has brought new life to my game, but all the chemicals and liquids are a bit too much for me...

Is there a config option that ONLY adds the ores (and their recipes) and not all the pipe-based things? I've gotten to a point in the game where I HAVE to start making these things and liquid/gas balancing (keeping everything in use) is not something I enjoy in the slightest...
Fortunately you don't need to balance gases - there is a void pump that can be used to vent it.
It's the simpliest way to run a lot of adv materials production in separate areas.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Unfortunately you do need all the new gasses for the processing of the ores. But as pointed out, there is the void pump that will vent unwanted gasses, making it easier to balance than the oil chain. Even the Sulfur Dioxide from Lead and Nickel processing can be vented, but only these main 5. Hydrogen, Oxygen, Chlorine, Nitrogen and Sulfur Dioxide. It is assumed you only make the other fluids as and when you need them.

Which only really leaves the problem material being Sodium Hydroxide.
I also have a Patreon.

Captain Taz
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Captain Taz »

orzelek wrote:
Captain Taz wrote:Hey, I love your mods, with all the new ore ans such it's been a blast and has brought new life to my game, but all the chemicals and liquids are a bit too much for me...

Fortunately you don't need to balance gases - there is a void pump that can be used to vent it.
It's the simpliest way to run a lot of adv materials production in separate areas.
bobingabout wrote:Unfortunately you do need all the new gasses for the processing of the ores. But as pointed out, there is the void pump that will vent unwanted gasses, making it easier to balance than the oil chain. Even the Sulfur Dioxide from Lead and Nickel processing can be vented, but only these main 5. Hydrogen, Oxygen, Chlorine, Nitrogen and Sulfur Dioxide. It is assumed you only make the other fluids as and when you need them.

Ah, ok. I was unaware that was a thing. Thanks for informing me!

(Pipes are still a pain in the ass though, but I guess this will work for me now.)

Mind if I ask one more question?

Is there a sort of wiki, or complete list of items and what they do somewhere for the modpack? For the most part I've figured a lot of early stuff out (up to green science level) but there's a ton of stuff that I have no clue their benefits or how things even work... I don't mind if it's not too detail-heavy (I don't remember much of the more complex details) but having something like that makes the complexity a bit easier to manage.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Captain Taz wrote:Is there a sort of wiki, or complete list of items and what they do somewhere for the modpack? For the most part I've figured a lot of early stuff out (up to green science level) but there's a ton of stuff that I have no clue their benefits or how things even work... I don't mind if it's not too detail-heavy (I don't remember much of the more complex details) but having something like that makes the complexity a bit easier to manage.
There is no such thing currently, but one of the things I was thinking about doing, rather than a walkthrough, is basically a List of the key technologies and items (Electronics, Metal and alloy bars, Ceramics, batteries etc.) and for each stage list the research requirements, and the production chain. I'd say the "entire" production chain, but break it off at key items, so rather than detailing everything you need to make an electronics board, I'd just say you need an electronics board.

But the chain would go a little more in depth, by saying things like... for a MK6 assembling machine, you can make X per second of this, and X per second of that, meaning you need 2x wooden board factories, and 3x copper wire factories to provide 4x electronic board factories etc. (random numbers here)
I also have a Patreon.

Captain Taz
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Captain Taz »

bobingabout wrote:
Captain Taz wrote:Is there a sort of wiki, or complete list of items and what they do somewhere for the modpack? For the most part I've figured a lot of early stuff out (up to green science level) but there's a ton of stuff that I have no clue their benefits or how things even work... I don't mind if it's not too detail-heavy (I don't remember much of the more complex details) but having something like that makes the complexity a bit easier to manage.
There is no such thing currently, but one of the things I was thinking about doing, rather than a walkthrough, is basically a List of the key technologies and items (Electronics, Metal and alloy bars, Ceramics, batteries etc.) and for each stage list the research requirements, and the production chain. I'd say the "entire" production chain, but break it off at key items, so rather than detailing everything you need to make an electronics board, I'd just say you need an electronics board.

But the chain would go a little more in depth, by saying things like... for a MK6 assembling machine, you can make X per second of this, and X per second of that, meaning you need 2x wooden board factories, and 3x copper wire factories to provide 4x electronic board factories etc. (random numbers here)
Sounds perfect. I'l be certain to keep an eye out for it whenever you make it :)

Captain Taz
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Captain Taz »

bobingabout wrote:
Figured I'd show you my.... slightly insane way to deal with that... xD
Attachments
..4.PNG
..4.PNG (636.12 KiB) Viewed 5263 times

da8388
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [0.12.x][v0.12.10] Bob's Metals, Chemicals and Intermediates

Post by da8388 »

steelstiletto wrote:I'm having a bit of an issue with this mod and 5dim mods together. All the plates seem to work for both mod's recipes just fine, except for tin plates. For those, the ones smelted normally work for your recipes, but I have to use a metal mixing furnace to select a different recipe to craft a different, non-stacking version of tin plates for 5dim recipes.

Any suggestions on how I might fix this, or look into it further?

Steelstiletto,

did you find a solution to this problem?

thanks

ironchefpython
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ironchefpython »

bobingabout wrote:Which only really leaves the problem material being Sodium Hydroxide.
Can you add a recipe to turn 10 units of Crude Oil + 2 units of Sodium Hydroxide into 10 units of Sweet Crude Oil in a Chemical Plant? (maybe also include 2 units of toxic sludge as a result if you don't really want to solve the waste problem :D )

And then a recipe unlocked with advanced refining that turns 10 units of Sweet Crude Oil + 5 units of water into 7 units of Petroleum and 4 units of Light Oil?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

ironchefpython wrote:
bobingabout wrote:Which only really leaves the problem material being Sodium Hydroxide.
Can you add a recipe to turn 10 units of Crude Oil + 2 units of Sodium Hydroxide into 10 units of Sweet Crude Oil in a Chemical Plant? (maybe also include 2 units of toxic sludge as a result if you don't really want to solve the waste problem :D )

And then a recipe unlocked with advanced refining that turns 10 units of Sweet Crude Oil + 5 units of water into 7 units of Petroleum and 4 units of Light Oil?
I'm not sure if the significance of "Sweet" crude oil, but, especially if you're using synthetic wood later, heavy oil is actually far more important than light oil and petroleum gas combined, it's why I added "Crude" oil processing, that results in more of the heavy stuff.

The problem though is that we need a disposal method, it's the 3rd result from a necessary process, and the only one you can't easily get rid of, the other 2 (hydrogen and Chlorine) can both be vented, and in oil processing, not only can heavier by cracked down into lighter, but you can also turn them into fuel blocks as disposal methods.

Perhaps an "easy" disposal method might be to break it down even further into chlorine, oxygen and water?

Edit: I was just looking up to see if it was possible, and found the formula... Sodium Hydroxide + hydrochloric acid -> salt water.
So I looked up what hydrochloric acid was.... Hydrogen Chloride + water....
wait, that's basically what we just produced, if you just mix them all together again it naturally turns back to the starting condition.
I also have a Patreon.

ironchefpython
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ironchefpython »

bobingabout wrote:I'm not sure if the significance of "Sweet" crude oil
Sweet crude oil is low-sulfur, making it more valuable for refineries, as it produces more of the "good stuff" (gasoline and diesel) with less refining. The opposite is "sour" oil which trades at a price penalty, is more polluting, and is more dangerous and toxic to work with. http://www.petroleum.co.uk/sweet-vs-sour

Sodium Hydroxide is used to "sweeten" oil, but at the cost of creating industrial waste.
bobingabout wrote: but, especially if you're using synthetic wood later, heavy oil is actually far more important than light oil and petroleum gas combined, it's why I added "Crude" oil processing, that results in more of the heavy stuff.
Fair enough, I almost always use a tree farming mod, after trying the randomly generated pain of playing with zero trees in the starting area.

Perhaps you can use it in some wood processing recipe as a pulping agent?

Add CO2 to make Sodium Carbonate and use it for some metal processing recipie?

Maybe mix it with fish to make biodiesel? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transesterification :D
bobingabout wrote:if you just mix [Hydrogen Chloride and Sodium Hydroxide] together again it naturally turns back to the starting condition.
Yeah, but I already used all of the Hydrogen Chloride on other things. Unless you modify all the processes that use Calcium Chloride or Hydrogen Chloride to require Sodium as part of the final step (e.g. http://www.patana.ac.th/parents/curricu ... LR705.html), you're gonna have leftover sodium.
bobingabout wrote:The problem though is that we need a disposal method
Dump it in a lake and kill all the fish, or dump it on the land and kill all the plants, or leave it in a box.

That's why I like the idea of using it somehow to slightly enhance oil processing, as it's a real-world (if polluting) application, and oil processing is usually done on such a scale that it should be able to sink all the leftover Sodium Hydroxide.

British_Petroleum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by British_Petroleum »

Hey bob,

I thought you'd be happy to hear that I was short on sodium hydroxide in my current game :P

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

British_Petroleum wrote:Hey bob,

I thought you'd be happy to hear that I was short on sodium hydroxide in my current game :P
Mission Accomplished :D
I also have a Patreon.

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

Hey Bob,

What tech is needed for quartz-glass?
I can't figure out how your productivity-limitations function works :)

EDIT: Never mind, I guess it needs no Tech, duh!
Thanks.

Return to “Bob's mods”