[0.12.x][v0.12.12] Bob's Metals, Chemicals and Intermediates

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

Which of the new v0.7 additions do you like the best?

Advanced Electronics 3 with CPUs
25%
The Nitrogen/Ceramic chain
17%
The new Pumps and barrel/bottle recipes
11%
The new types of pipes
11%
Factory reballancing
14%
The new Electrolyser graphics!
23%

Total votes: 234

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.11.x][v0.7.10] Bob's Metals, Chemicals and Intermediates

Post by bobingabout »

have you actually looked at the percentage of magnesium in these alloys? in most cases, it's 1% or less, which is why I considered it not worth adding.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

MNorman
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by MNorman »

There are Magnesium-based alloys, with greater than 90% magnesium, but they have low strengths, and are primarily used for lightly-loaded components in a structure that is otherwise made of titanium or aluminium.
Your Titanium recipe matches the FFC process, which uses carbon at very high temperatures instead of the light metal used by the Kroll process.

I would love to see better usage of speciality steels and nickel-based alloys, but these are usually 15-30% chromium.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

which is one of the reasons why I was considering Chromium at one point.
I also have a Patreon.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Small balancing question - would you consider improving heavy oil to synthetic wood efficiency?
Currently heavy oil is needed much more especially after you get to blue science and production of basic circuit boards needs a heavy ramp up.
My tanks farm is getting bigger and bigger for petroleum and light oil due to high usage of heavy oil. Thats with use of 4 Mk 2 chemical plants to make heavy oil from coal as an additional source (production of synthetic wood around 200/minute, basic boards 320/minute).

callmewoof
Inserter
Inserter

Post by callmewoof »

I have to agree that oil/wood becomes a huge problem. I won't use tree farm (too slow, literally ends up bloating the simulation later too). At first, a little bit of robot deforestation keeps you going, but after awhile, you end up relying on synthetic wood. For me, I can't use light or especially petrol fast enough. I end up having to remove/replace a dozen storage containers every now and again so I can "buy myself some time" and get heavy generating again. Basic circuits in vanilla always end up becoming one of your most hungry items, where you need lots (like, what, thousands?) produced/minute. With Bob's circuits needing wood boards of some type, you can just never get enough. In fact, at this point, I'd love/want/will find/make a mod that just destroys my items or liquids, aka, a black hole or something. That, or perhaps there could be new oil plants that have different ratios? Just as advanced gives you more light/petrol and less heavy (but needs water), maybe there could be a version that gives a lot more heavy but needs another chemical/reagent to work with.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

What if I half the heavy oil cost, would that work?
I also have a Patreon.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Maybe that and increasing amount of boards from one unit of wood?

If I'm counting correctly 1 blue science pack is now 7 circuit boards which costs 3.5 heavy oil plus another 1.125 heavy oil from electronic circuit board(around 4.5 total).
Making cost of synthetic wood and resin to half of heavy oil would drop it to about 2.25 per pack. Adding more efficient wood to wooden board conversion could shave off another part - it will still be quite costly heavy oil wise and it only needs a bit of petroleum for plastic I think.

Different recipe for refinery would also come in handy I think - something like 6 heavy and 2 of light and petroleum each.

Finndibaenn
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Finndibaenn »

I 've been using MK2 tree farms, it seems to do the job for me.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Finndibaenn wrote:I 've been using MK2 tree farms, it seems to do the job for me.
As far as I can see treefarm is very cpu consuming so its a costly but useful solution potentially. Wood nets more wooden boards per raw wood (4 not 2 like for heavy oil since there is an intermediate step) - heavy oil is handicapped on that side also.

aklesey1
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aklesey1 »

Where to use cobalt? For example? Dytech interprets the use of this metal in later stages, may you maybe you could find this application too :D
Nickname on ModPortal - Naron79

callmewoof
Inserter
Inserter

Post by callmewoof »

aklesey1 wrote:Where to use cobalt? For example? Dytech interprets the use of this metal in later stages, may you maybe you could find this application too :D
If you run the full bob's mods, I know there is a cobalt pickaxe that is a step up in the chain, and there was some other recipe in the later stages that uses the cobalt oxide, I believe.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

callmewoof wrote:
aklesey1 wrote:Where to use cobalt? For example? Dytech interprets the use of this metal in later stages, may you maybe you could find this application too :D
If you run the full bob's mods, I know there is a cobalt pickaxe that is a step up in the chain, and there was some other recipe in the later stages that uses the cobalt oxide, I believe.
Cobalt Oxide is used to make Lithium Ion Batteries in the later stages.

Cobalt steel (which is used to make the pick axe) is also planned to be used to make the new higher level mining drills when I get around to re-writing the recipe with intermediates. I've been too destracted with Enemies and Warfare to do it though.
I also have a Patreon.

Finndibaenn
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Finndibaenn »

orzelek wrote:
Finndibaenn wrote:I 've been using MK2 tree farms, it seems to do the job for me.
As far as I can see treefarm is very cpu consuming so its a costly but useful solution potentially. Wood nets more wooden boards per raw wood (4 not 2 like for heavy oil since there is an intermediate step) - heavy oil is handicapped on that side also.
i didn't notice cpu issue with Treefarm, event my computer is now > 2 years old I think( and was not high end either at the time).

Again, ofr my usage, 2 MK2 tree farms is too much, i switch one them off every now and then. This is actually the "bad" part about MK2, as it's using bots you can't limit its output with smart inserters

Degraine
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Degraine »

You can limit the output of a Mk2 farm, but it requires a little more work. Set up an assembler to make the seeds, then place a smart inserter on its input or output that only runs when the total amount of wood in the system is below 2500 or 5000 or what have you.

The system's response time between noticing supplies are low and producing more wood is quite long, so you have to keep a fairly large buffer in order to ensure you don't run out of wood before more is available.

Finndibaenn
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Finndibaenn »

Indeed you're right I should have thought about it myself :)
Thanks

aklesey1
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aklesey1 »

bobingabout wrote:
callmewoof wrote:
Cobalt Oxide is used to make Lithium Ion Batteries in the later stages.

Cobalt steel (which is used to make the pick axe) is also planned to be used to make the new higher level mining drills when I get around to re-writing the recipe with intermediates. I've been too destracted with Enemies and Warfare to do it though.
Will it be compatible with dytech cobalt, i mean the cobalt plates from dytech, and with researching from dytech?
Nickname on ModPortal - Naron79

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

aklesey1 wrote: Will it be compatible with dytech cobalt, i mean the cobalt plates from dytech, and with researching from dytech?
Cobalt is compatible like most other resources shared by those mods.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

orzelek wrote:
aklesey1 wrote: Will it be compatible with dytech cobalt, i mean the cobalt plates from dytech, and with researching from dytech?
Cobalt is compatible like most other resources shared by those mods.
I actually went through great lengths to accomodate the DyTech update that added cobalt, and research with the same name as mine, and even wrote in a little check to make my cobalt drop DyTech obsidian if you turn on my cobalt and obsidian exists.
I also have a Patreon.

Degraine
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Degraine »

The migration file for 0.6.3 now throws an error in the console when activating MCI on an existing save, since solder-lead (line 14) was renamed.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Degraine wrote:The migration file for 0.6.3 now throws an error in the console when activating MCI on an existing save, since solder-lead (line 14) was renamed.
Ah, thanks, I'll have to take a look at that.

EDIT: I think it's safe to just delete that line, the recipe doesn't exist anymore, and the others, including the one that would replace it are in a later migration file.
I also have a Patreon.

Return to “Bob's mods”