[0.12.x][v0.12.12] Bob's Metals, Chemicals and Intermediates

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

Which of the new v0.7 additions do you like the best?

Advanced Electronics 3 with CPUs
25%
The Nitrogen/Ceramic chain
17%
The new Pumps and barrel/bottle recipes
11%
The new types of pipes
11%
Factory reballancing
14%
The new Electrolyser graphics!
23%

Total votes: 234

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.11.22/0.12.x][v0.12.3] Bob's Metals, Chemicals and Intermediates

Post by Boogieman14 »

I found this block of code in the electronics data-updates.lua and copied it over to the same file in plates:

Code: Select all

for i, machine in pairs(data.raw["assembling-machine"]) do
  for j, category in pairs(machine.crafting_categories) do
    if category == "crafting" then
      table.insert(machine.crafting_categories,"crafting-machine")
    end
  end
end
That seems to add the missing machines to a bunch of recipes (ran into a few more last night). Is that all there's to it, or do I run the risk of running into issues later on because I'm missing some other important change? :)
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Boogieman14 wrote:I found this block of code in the electronics data-updates.lua and copied it over to the same file in plates:

for i, machine in pairs(data.raw["assembling-machine"]) do
  for j, category in pairs(machine.crafting_categories) do
    if category == "crafting" then
      table.insert(machine.crafting_categories,"crafting-machine")
    end
  end
end
That seems to add the missing machines to a bunch of recipes (ran into a few more last night). Is that all there's to it, or do I run the risk of running into issues later on because I'm missing some other important change? :)
That's the missing code. You shouldn't run into any issues if you add that, thats just what I'm going to add for the next official release.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Lithorn
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Lithorn »

I am unable to make Steel Gear Wheels, Bearings, or balls. They just don't show up in the list after researching them. reset_recipies() and Tech didn't help, and a string search for them shows false on them being enabled. I can't progress without them, so what now?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Lithorn wrote:I am unable to make Steel Gear Wheels, Bearings, or balls. They just don't show up in the list after researching them. reset_recipies() and Tech didn't help, and a string search for them shows false on them being enabled. I can't progress without them, so what now?
They are part of bobplates (MCI) and are unlocked with steel processing research.
They should apear in "Bob's Intermediate products" section. it looks like a science bottle, chip, gear and bearing aranged in a 2x2 grid.
If you added the mod after you researched this tech, thy are unlocked with the script "bobplates_base_0.12.0.lua".
If they aren't unlocked for whatever reason, the following 3 commands should forcibly unlock them:

/c player.force.recipes["steel-gear-wheel"].enabled = true
/c player.force.recipes["steel-bearing-ball"].enabled = true
/c player.force.recipes["steel-bearing"].enabled = true
I hope that helps.
I also have a Patreon.

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.11.22/0.12.x][v0.12.4] Bob's Metals, Chemicals and Intermediates

Post by TheSAguy »

This has probably been discussed, but did not see it glancing through the thread.
Because Robotic need Advanced Electronics 2, it means I can't get my bot network up until I have science 3.

I'm pretty sure in vanilla you can get it up with just science 2.

All other bot tech only needs science 2, except that you need Adv electronics 2 to get robotics, so the whole bot system get's put on hold.

Is this intentional?

Having fun with your Mod!

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

Are you sure you're using the latest version? In my game, I only just completed advanced electronics 2 a moment ago, while I had the bot requirements done a while ago already.
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

TheSAguy wrote:This has probably been discussed, but did not see it glancing through the thread.
Because Robotic need Advanced Electronics 2, it means I can't get my bot network up until I have science 3.

I'm pretty sure in vanilla you can get it up with just science 2.

All other bot tech only needs science 2, except that you need Adv electronics 2 to get robotics, so the whole bot system get's put on hold.

Is this intentional?

Having fun with your Mod!
Dejavu
Boogieman14 wrote:Are you sure you're using the latest version? In my game, I only just completed advanced electronics 2 a moment ago, while I had the bot requirements done a while ago already.
You're both right.

bobplaces(MCI) and Electronics both add the science pack 3 to advanced electronics 2. but only the electronics mod fixes the difficulty shift.
if he's playing without the electronics mod, the robots will be a lot harder to research.

I'll add that to the list for the next fix release.
I also have a Patreon.

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

First time playing Bob's, so I have a few basic questions...

How do I create Sulfur Dioxide??
I assume there is no way to create stone, like in Dytech? (Cleaning Water)

Thanks.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

TheSAguy wrote:First time playing Bob's, so I have a few basic questions...

How do I create Sulfur Dioxide??
I assume there is no way to create stone, like in Dytech? (Cleaning Water)

Thanks.
Sulfur Dioxide is a byproduct of the advanced lead processing recipe. You don't actually need it for anything, because it can only be used to make Sulfur or Sulfuric acid, both of which you can make from Petroleum Gas anyway. You can even mine Sulfur directly if you turn on the ore in the ores mod.

Create stone? Currently, no, there is no way to do that, you have to mine it.
I also have a Patreon.

Kayser
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Kayser »

What is the idea behind the higher tier compressors and pumps?

The effort to set up production of them and their material costs are significant, considering that the already basic versions have the capacity to serve multiple plants each. At least I have never found their capacity to be a limiting factor. And if it ever were to become, I would just put in another basic pump. After all, they don't take up a large fraction of the space in any configuration I have come across. They are also always easy to find space for, since they can be placed anywhere.

If there were certain spots where you needed to place them, and these spots were scarce or semi-finite, it would be a different story. Then you actually needed to move up the tiers to keep your factory running as production volumes go up.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Basically, both speed and energy efficiency. Don't forget they're also used for packing and unpacking different fluids and gasses in Barrels, Canisters and Bottles too.

I will probably at some point tweak the speeds and amounts you get from them.

I do plan to, at some point, make a "Water" resource on the map, so you can only place the lithium water mining pumps on those spots, similar to oil mining.
I also have a Patreon.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.11.22/0.12.x][v0.12.5] Bob's Metals, Chemicals and Intermediates

Post by bobingabout »

Updated
v0.12.5
* Changed technology "robotics" prerequisites from "advanced-electronics-2" to "advanced-electronics"
* Completed technology-updates file to use functions.
* 7 Lead ore, 3 Carbon, and 1 Zinc plate will result in 7 to 10 Lead plates, and 1 to 3 units of Silver ore (fake Silver-zinc Alloy)
* Uses the new bobores layout to turn on the "Needed" ores (The ones that were on by default before)

The first one is the fix that some people would need to build Roboports before blue science.
The 3rd one is the advanced lead processing recipe a few people were interested in, give it a try, tell me what you think.
The other 2 points are basically just cleaning up and updating the code.

Point 4 (Turning on the "Needed" ores in the new bob's ore's layout) Isn't needed YET, but will be in the future.
I also have a Patreon.

Kayser
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Kayser »

bobingabout wrote:Basically, both speed and energy efficiency. Don't forget they're also used for packing and unpacking different fluids and gasses in Barrels, Canisters and Bottles too.
Right. (I rarely use that feature.)
I will probably at some point tweak the speeds and amounts you get from them.
Great.
I do plan to, at some point, make a "Water" resource on the map, so you can only place the lithium water mining pumps on those spots, similar to oil mining.
Would the spots decay, and would normal water also be limited to those spots?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Kayser wrote:
Likely function the same way as oil, probably 2 types, 1 for normal water, and 1 for lithia water.
To do this would require 2 different buildings though, one to mine water, and 1 to barrel things.
Air compressor will still function as it does now.
I also have a Patreon.

crysanja
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by crysanja »

hmm my last factory didnt use silver at all.
isnt silver just for solderplates like lead? which does not use each other in the production of solderplates.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

crysanja wrote:hmm my last factory didnt use silver at all.
isnt silver just for solderplates like lead? which does not use each other in the production of solderplates.
I thought Silver was a bit of an odd request... it IS realistic though! I think it is mostly used in one of the tiers of solar panels.
I also have a Patreon.

Kayser
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Kayser »

bobingabout wrote:
Kayser wrote:
Likely function the same way as oil, probably 2 types, 1 for normal water, and 1 for lithia water.
To do this would require 2 different buildings though, one to mine water, and 1 to barrel things.
Air compressor will still function as it does now.
Sounds good!

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I think I've found a use for all that sodium hydroxide that is over produced.
I call it "Battery MK 2"

3x Silver + 4x Nitric Acid -> 3x Silver Nitrate + Water (Discarded, probably) + Nitrogen Oxide (Discarded, unless I can think of a use for it)
or
Silver + 2x Nitric Acid -> Silver Nitrate + water (Discarded, probably) + Nitrogen Dioxide (Possibly Discarded, Probably produced to be fed back into the Nitric Acid production chain)
Probably go with the first reaction.

2x Silver Nitrate + 2x Sodium Hydroxide -> Silver Oxide + water (Discarded, probably) + 2x NaNO3 (Sodium Nitrate. Probably useful for something, but discarded for now. Aparatly it can be used to make Fertilizer or Gunpowder.)

Zinc + Silver Oxide + Sodium Hydroxide (Yay, used twice!) + Plastic (maybe, for the case and insulators) -> Zinc-Silver Alkaline battery! AKA Battery MK2!

Also, the base game battery is probably supposed to be a Lead-Acid battery, so I may replace the iron plates in the recipe with lead plates.

I'll have to examine the tech tree a little, see where it best fits in, it may end up being Battery MK3 where Lithum Ion is MK2.

Think about it, it's a perfect addition, it makes use of 3 of the least used materials in my mod. Zinc (Only used to make Brass and Gunmetal, which arn't used to make many things themselves), Silver (Only needed to upgrade a few things, like solar panels, can be used to make solder) and Sodium Hydroxide (Overproduced when you electrolyse for Chlorine)
I also have a Patreon.

aklesey1
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aklesey1 »

bobingabout wrote:I think I've found a use for all that sodium hydroxide that is over produced.
I call it "Battery MK 2"

3x Silver + 4x Nitric Acid -> 3x Silver Nitrate + Water (Discarded, probably) + Nitrogen Oxide (Discarded, unless I can think of a use for it)
or
Silver + 2x Nitric Acid -> Silver Nitrate + water (Discarded, probably) + Nitrogen Dioxide (Possibly Discarded, Probably produced to be fed back into the Nitric Acid production chain)
Probably go with the first reaction.

2x Silver Nitrate + 2x Sodium Hydroxide -> Silver Oxide + water (Discarded, probably) + 2x NaNO3 (Sodium Nitrate. Probably useful for something, but discarded for now. Aparatly it can be used to make Fertilizer or Gunpowder.)

Zinc + Silver Oxide + Sodium Hydroxide (Yay, used twice!) + Plastic (maybe, for the case and insulators) -> Zinc-Silver Alkaline battery! AKA Battery MK2!

Also, the base game battery is probably supposed to be a Lead-Acid battery, so I may replace the iron plates in the recipe with lead plates.

I'll have to examine the tech tree a little, see where it best fits in, it may end up being Battery MK3 where Lithum Ion is MK2.

Think about it, it's a perfect addition, it makes use of 3 of the least used materials in my mod. Zinc (Only used to make Brass and Gunmetal, which arn't used to make many things themselves), Silver (Only needed to upgrade a few things, like solar panels, can be used to make solder) and Sodium Hydroxide (Overproduced when you electrolyse for Chlorine)
So this is good news? its a plan for future reworking? Really nice to hear about new ways to using zinc and silver
Why we don't have technology for silver and? like in dytech, but we have technology for gold, lead, zinc, nickel, titan and tungsten
May be we need silver, tin and lead technologies for researching solder?
Nickname on ModPortal - Naron79

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

aklesey1 wrote:So this is good news? its a plan for future reworking? Really nice to hear about new ways to using zinc and silver
This is good, because it will make use of things that are currently under utilised. I will need to tweak a few recipes here and there to properly make use of the new batteries.
aklesey1 wrote:Why we don't have technology for silver and? like in dytech, but we have technology for gold, lead, zinc, nickel, titan and tungsten
May be we need silver, tin and lead technologies for researching solder?
The reason why we don't have Tin and Silver research is because the solder is required too early. Plus it really is just as easy to smelt as sticking it in a furnace and melting it like Copper and Iron. Though, the need to have access to silver from the start has been reduced now that you can make solder from lead. The same reason can be applied to Lead, it all depends how pure you want the material. There however is actually a Lead research, it unlocks alternate recipes, but you still need the unresearched "Put it in a furnace" recipe to be able to make solder.

Now, I COULD make it so you have to research smelting tin, silver and lead, but those would need to be researched before you can research the first tier of Electronics, which itself is a very low level technology, which is why I didn't do that.
I also have a Patreon.

Return to “Bob's mods”