Can't Disable long near inserters in Logistics mod.

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

Energist
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Can't Disable long near inserters in Logistics mod.

Post by Energist »

Hello,

I'm trying to disable the long, near inserter options from Bobs Config. I have set them to false under logistics, but I still see them in the research tree in both new and old worlds. Any help would be much appreciated. I simply want to disable the whole GUI/ alterations to the base game inserters. I am not trying to disable the new tiers of inserters. Thanks.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Can't Disable long near inserters in Logistics mod.

Post by bobingabout »

Currently not able to do so.

The option exists from an older version of the mod (it was removed in the 0.13 chain, and the game kinda sidestepped into 0.14 without notice, so the 0.14 version of my mods inherited the issue)

Basically, I plan to change the config mod, however, if I release an update, it will delete everyone's configuration when it does so, and I didn't want to force that on people.

The reason why the option does nothing is because... there is currently absolutely no way possible that I can see for a setting in the data phase of another mod to be read in the control phase of a mod.

If the config.lua was in the same mod as control.lua, then you could read the file, and go from there, but because it is in another mod, you can't.

And because it exists in the data phase, the script phase can't see the settings. This means there's no way to check the settings.

This is an issue that will be fixed for 0.15, given that the devs have written a system to allow you to configure mods in an in game menu.

This has actually come up several times, if you read through the main 0.14 topic you would have seen this discussed before.

I hope you find the information useful at least, even if it isn't the answer you want to hear.

The later version of the mod at least has an Enable checkbox, so as long as you don't turn it on (or turn it off again if you do turn it on) you can safely ignore the GUI.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Energist
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Energist »

bobingabout wrote:Currently not able to do so.

The option exists from an older version of the mod (it was removed in the 0.13 chain, and the game kinda sidestepped into 0.14 without notice, so the 0.14 version of my mods inherited the issue)

Basically, I plan to change the config mod, however, if I release an update, it will delete everyone's configuration when it does so, and I didn't want to force that on people.

The reason why the option does nothing is because... there is currently absolutely no way possible that I can see for a setting in the data phase of another mod to be read in the control phase of a mod.

If the config.lua was in the same mod as control.lua, then you could read the file, and go from there, but because it is in another mod, you can't.

And because it exists in the data phase, the script phase can't see the settings. This means there's no way to check the settings.

This is an issue that will be fixed for 0.15, given that the devs have written a system to allow you to configure mods in an in game menu.

This has actually come up several times, if you read through the main 0.14 topic you would have seen this discussed before.

I hope you find the information useful at least, even if it isn't the answer you want to hear.

The later version of the mod at least has an Enable checkbox, so as long as you don't turn it on (or turn it off again if you do turn it on) you can safely ignore the GUI.
Thank you for the response. I noticed that I can edit the Data files to remove the Tech recipes. Is that something that would break multiplayer compatibility? Game runs fine as such, though I don't like tweaking your mod. Feels like cheating.

Your mod is down right awesome! I'm just not a fan of the adjustable inserter stuff. I much prefer creating a specific item to do the job. Feels more in the spirit of the base game if you know what I mean. There is also a problem with being able to see the difference. Rows of inserters all looking the same, some go this way, some grab this far.. I like when each inserter does one thing and does it well. Just my feedback there!

Thanks again for your response and the wonderful mods you've made. I'm a big fan of them.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

yes, it would break compatibility.

Also, you're probably right, I could still turn off the technologies via the config.

Oh well, I'm not going to do anything until 0.15 hits.

As for making specific items, well, the config options that do exist were for when you could create those inserters as specific items back in 0.12. every single configuration had it's own recipe. The customisation GUI was basically to merge all these recipes to just the inserter speeds, then allow you to configure them to the options the old version had.

that's why there's actually 2. the one in logistics mod lets you place them as they were in the old version. Inserters mod lets you configure them after they've been placed.
I also have a Patreon.

Energist
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Energist »

bobingabout wrote:yes, it would break compatibility.

Also, you're probably right, I could still turn off the technologies via the config.

Oh well, I'm not going to do anything until 0.15 hits.

As for making specific items, well, the config options that do exist were for when you could create those inserters as specific items back in 0.12. every single configuration had it's own recipe. The customisation GUI was basically to merge all these recipes to just the inserter speeds, then allow you to configure them to the options the old version had.

that's why there's actually 2. the one in logistics mod lets you place them as they were in the old version. Inserters mod lets you configure them after they've been placed.
Thanks. I'll keep using it regardless. I figured it was a bug, but now that I see it is intended all is well. Thanks for wonderful mods mate.

CTSCommando
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by CTSCommando »

Apologies for the thread necro. Just wondering if, now that 0.15 is out, there is a way to disable the ability to adjust the behaviour of inserters. I've not been able to find any more recent threads on the subject than this one.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

No.

The mod has been updated for 0.15, but I didn't add this option.

However, one of the things I am thinking of doing is removing the GUI from the logistics mod entirely, and moving it into the inserters mod along with the other inserter GUI stuff, so you'll either have all of it or none of it.
I also have a Patreon.

CTSCommando
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by CTSCommando »

That would be great, and definitely sounds like the logical solution. It was a bit confusing to see research and config options for adjustable inserters when I deliberately didn't install the mod.

Thanks very much for the response, look forward to seeing it in a future update.

Return to “Bob's mods”