[0.12.x][v0.12.8] Bob's Ore Mod.

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

Keep merged Galena, or change to seperate Lead and Nickel ores?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:05 am

Galena gives Lead and Nickel
56%
Lead and Nickel as seperate ore fields.
11%
Keep Galena, and add another mod that adds Nickel ore fields. (turning Galena to Lead ore)
33%

Total votes: 9

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.11.x][v0.6.7] Bob's Ore Mod.

Post by bobingabout »

Code: Select all

for i, drill in pairs(data.raw["mining-drill"]) do
  if not drill.storage_slots then drill.storage_slots = 6 end
end
using this, every drill should gain multiple slots unless defined otherwise already.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Black Mamba 666
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

gems Ore? For what?

Post by Black Mamba 666 »

First i must say sorry about my bad English plz forgive me^^
I have in my Map Fields with Gems Ore (bob ores not Dytech) I meen the Symbol with green red and blue dots.
I have pick it up (sry but i dosn´t know the right Words) but i don´t know what can i do with it?!
Nothing in my Recepies needs this Ore and i have the most from the Techtree open (not all).

Plz tell me what can i do with it and what i need from the Techtree to can do this.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: gems Ore? For what?

Post by bobingabout »

The Latest version of Metals Chemicals and Intermediates (bobplates_0.7.10) lets you refine this into different gems.

The refined gems can currently be used to make T5 to T8 Modules in Bob's Modules mod.
They can also be used to make laser related things in Warefare 0.1.3 (Not released yet).

I hope this helps.
I also have a Patreon.

Black Mamba 666
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: gems Ore? For what?

Post by Black Mamba 666 »

Thx for help. This meens my Version dosn´t have a Funktion for that and this Ore was in there for the Future Versions. ;)
OK upgradet.
And its a very nice Mod i think its better as the Dytech-Mod where u Produce Millions from Stone and you dosn´t need so much (at this time i think so sry when i was wrong with this)
Factorio needs a Void-Chest^^

MNorman
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by MNorman »

Is there a specific reason why the advanced mining drills use more power per unit of output than the basic one? In this situation there is very little incentive to upgrade the mining drills.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Power usage per second for the drill is not power usage per unit.

With the way I defined my drills, as the power usage goes up, so do other varibles including speed, and mining power.

Actual mining speed is a complex calculation based on the hardness of the ore vs mining power of the drill and mining time of the ore vs mining speed of the drill. Off the top of my head, it's "(Mining power - Hardness) * Mining Speed / Mining time." This gives you your time to mine one unit of ore. Power consumption per ore is then Power consumption of the drill multiplied by mining time in seconds.

In short, the increased mining speed of the drill SHOULD mean you consume less power per ore, because you're mining the ore much faster.

They also gain more module slots too, so if you're using my modules mod, can reduce the energy consumption per ore even further quite easilly.
I also have a Patreon.

MNorman
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by MNorman »

Thankyou for the explaination, I hadn't realised that the mining power had an effect on the time to mine one unit of ore, I had assumed that it was purely based on the mining speed.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Glad I could help!
I also have a Patreon.

Lee_newsum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.11.x][v0.6.6] Bob's Ore Mod.

Post by Lee_newsum »

bobingabout wrote:v0.6.6
* Added Brass, Titanium and Tungsten mining axes. They only apear if something you can use to build them is available.
* Turned on Gems by default, they will be of use in MCI v0.7.9.

Recipes for the mining drills havn't been updated yet, this will probably be in 0.6.7 after MCI 0.7.9 is released that will add more materials needed to make them.
"My new ores will spawn automatically on old maps," if so what they look like on min map/radar map "m"

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.11.x][v0.6.6] Bob's Ore Mod.

Post by bobingabout »

Lee_newsum wrote:"My new ores will spawn automatically on old maps," if so what they look like on min map/radar map "m"
usually a colour similar to what colour their sprite image is. look at the screenshots on the first page for examples. Gems are green.
I also have a Patreon.

Zothenik
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Zothenik »

Did something happened to map generation? Everytime i start new game i get too many oil spots but very little iron and copper in starting location.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Zothenik wrote:Did something happened to map generation? Everytime i start new game i get too many oil spots but very little iron and copper in starting location.
if something did happen, it's nothing to do with this mod. I don't change Oil, Copper or Iron in any way. I do however adjust Stone to make it more comman.
I also have a Patreon.

Dreadicon
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Dreadicon »

I wanted to ask if there was any way one could reduce the frequency of ore fields further than Very Low? One of the things I enjoy in Factorio is having to go far for resources, and building train networks to connect them to the main base.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Dreadicon wrote:I wanted to ask if there was any way one could reduce the frequency of ore fields further than Very Low? One of the things I enjoy in Factorio is having to go far for resources, and building train networks to connect them to the main base.
Unfortunately, the way it works it noise layers... no. What you see is basically positive peaks, it's a combination of all 3 settings, that change the threshholds and multipliers. Frequency and Size do effect each other, as does Richness even.

The only way to do what you want would be to use a system other than noise layers, which the RSO mod does. I don't offically support it, nor does it officially support Bob's Mods, but there are some fan maintained settings for Bob's ore's in RSO that let you use the 2 mods together, letting RSO change the spawn rates of Bob's mods.

I don't even know the full name of the mod, everyone seems to just refer to it as RSO.
I also have a Patreon.

matpmag
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by matpmag »

bobingabout wrote:I don't even know the full name of the mod, everyone seems to just refer to it as RSO.
It's called Resource Spawner Overhaul: Link ;)

Dreadicon
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Dreadicon »

Ahhh, ok. I picked up RSO, and got it all set up. I'm loving it! One issue; even once I turn on cobalt in the config (normal or with RSO), it just doesnt seem to always spawn. I command-give myself a tank and run around for like an hour and don't find any (including command find) untill I regenerate, and even then it's crazy rare. is cobalt really 10x more rare than gold and diamonds? >_> Same goes for straight Nickel.

Edit: also, where could I find people who like the Bob's mods who want to do multiplayer? the IRC seems filled with those......less than enthusiastic about the Bob's mod packs.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Dreadicon wrote:Ahhh, ok. I picked up RSO, and got it all set up. I'm loving it! One issue; even once I turn on cobalt in the config (normal or with RSO), it just doesnt seem to always spawn. I command-give myself a tank and run around for like an hour and don't find any (including command find) untill I regenerate, and even then it's crazy rare. is cobalt really 10x more rare than gold and diamonds? >_> Same goes for straight Nickel.

Edit: also, where could I find people who like the Bob's mods who want to do multiplayer? the IRC seems filled with those......less than enthusiastic about the Bob's mod packs.
All cobalt, nickel and gold are very rare. I think one reason for those might be that once enabled they don't exist on any other resource secondary spawn lists. I could try to play around with those and see if it can improve the state of things. Also for nickel it might simply need better chance to spawn since it's quite widely used I think for higher mark buildings. I was usually playing with galena and infinite ores so one good source is enough.

I guess I need to do a play-trough without endless ores and see how it works - or get more feedback on ore distribution from others :D

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

If Cobalt is that rare, it sounds like the RSO might have something set a bit too low. or maybe me in my mod, depending which you're using. Cobalt does need to be turned on in the config file to apear at all.
I also have a Patreon.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

bobingabout wrote:If Cobalt is that rare, it sounds like the RSO might have something set a bit too low. or maybe me in my mod, depending which you're using. Cobalt does need to be turned on in the config file to appear at all.
RSO has slightly different problem - once you go above certain amount of ores in total chances for each of them drop since there is more choices. That leads to possibilities of nasty rng - can mean long search before you find the proper ore that you need. RSO check for optional ores and spawns them when enabled (or tries to spawn them :D )

Dreadicon
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Dreadicon »

orzelek wrote:
bobingabout wrote:If Cobalt is that rare, it sounds like the RSO might have something set a bit too low. or maybe me in my mod, depending which you're using. Cobalt does need to be turned on in the config file to appear at all.
RSO has slightly different problem - once you go above certain amount of ores in total chances for each of them drop since there is more choices. That leads to possibilities of nasty rng - can mean long search before you find the proper ore that you need. RSO check for optional ores and spawns them when enabled (or tries to spawn them :D )
The odd part was enabling only nickel OR cobalt ore (so I can have a source of cobalt) resulted in neither showing up for a ridiculously long distance (1 hour of running around with none found). A deterministic regenerate creates some, when there was none before (which shouldn't happen, afaik), but it's still really rare. The odd part is, when I enable BOTH, one of them will typically show up within 15 minutes of exploration with a tank or running gear. But randomly, the other just will never spawn till I run a deterministic regenerate. I've only reproduced this 5 times or so for each permutation, so my sample size is still pretty low, but long as I have at least one source of cobalt, it's not much of an issue for me. Just odd.

I went ahead and tweaked spawn rates after I got bored of testing to suit my preferences. (rarer but larger oil fields, rarer gold/silver, slightly more common nickel/cobalt, etc) Thanks again to both of you for your respective mods; they add a lot to the game!

On another note: I'm starting work on a Metalurgy mod which adds realistic blast furnaces. They will use limestone as flux, and come with an override to limestone from RW which makes them depletion based like oil, so you can have quaries of limestone. also, the slag will be usable for making stone blocks and fertilizer (if I figure out a good use for it). IRL slag is often used for these purposes. It will also require a small air heating chain, dependent on the heat requirements of the ore. (like Dytech but with air rather than lava). Unlike other blast furnaces, the one here will be about as fast as you can shove ore into it. Presently, I am hoping to figure out a way to make heating use the built in model of heating (so that it can be done in series rather than parallel-only for more quantity). Might be more trouble than it's worth though.

Return to “Bob's mods”