[0.12.x][v0.12.8] Bob's Ore Mod.

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

Keep merged Galena, or change to seperate Lead and Nickel ores?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:05 am

Galena gives Lead and Nickel
56%
Lead and Nickel as seperate ore fields.
11%
Keep Galena, and add another mod that adds Nickel ore fields. (turning Galena to Lead ore)
33%

Total votes: 9

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.10.x] Bob's Ore Mod.

Post by bobingabout »

Airat9000 wrote:I have a question I have is mod Bob's Metals, Chemicals and Intermediates mod
I put this mod? or in that fashion is all inclusive?
you need both.
Bob's Ores mod + Bob's Metals, Chemcials and Interediates mod.

CreeperDaReeper wrote:
bobingabout wrote:-snip-
You mentioned somewhere that to reduce loading times when first using this mod, you reduced the number of noise maps generated, by pairing up ores. What if you didn't generate all the new ores at the same time, but used a geological radar to reveal them once you actually need them?

Simply put. Only have the game generate the most basic ores needed to get started when loading an old save or starting a new game. Then add some functionality to the radar, or a new building, that when activated, reviles (generates) the next ore or ores needed in the production chain.

Sounds kinda stupid, a bit complicated to me now that I've written it out, but I thought it sounded kinda cool.
It is fine if you're using a new map, but not when using an old map.
A solution would be to remove the generation on load build into the migration scripts, but then it wouldn't be added later. Using functions to add them later would likely slow the game down, and conflict with normal ore generation, because there's no real way to tell the difference between an old game, and a new one.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

How do you people find silver on map? I mean i have many shades of gray on map that i'm lost finding silver. :(
Is there some kind of map mod that adds filtering to displayed ores?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

not that I know of.
Silver is a medium grey with a slightly blueish tint to it.

if you think it would be better with different colours, make a sugestion and I might try it out.
I also have a Patreon.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

WIth so many ores it won't make any difference, i hope factorio programmers will add some map filters :)

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

Is there a reliable way of reducing the occurance of all the ores this mod adds? I've had all of them set to very low frequency, but when i look at the map it still looks like a calico cat. Ideally, I'd like RSO behaviour for these ores. Is there any way to make that happen?

*edit*
looks like Rseding's Ore Expansion does work.. Gave me a whole new kind of challenge too.. This is with starting area set to 'big'... :shock: (well.. and enemy bases set to very frequent and very big as well.. that ain't a lie)

I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I'm actually thinking of tweaking the values just a little, make smaller, but richer deposits.
I also have a Patreon.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

I use RSO and i set it to work with bob's ores and i say every damn thing is controlled by RSO and i even tweaked some settings so you get enough materials for everything. I kinda lowered biters, because i was not in the mood to fight them.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Poll time!
Should I de-merge Nickel ore from Galena and have 2 seperate ores, or keep it as it is, where Mining Galena gives both Nickel and Lead?
I also have a Patreon.

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

While I've started my second map with bobores, I must admit I haven't actually used any of those ores yet, so I can't really oversee actual gameplay consequences yet. However, I would say, having multiple ores come from the same vein adds a (minor) bit of challenge in having to seperate it out at some point. I'd say leave it combined.
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

SuperSandro2000
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SuperSandro2000 »

I don't like Galena because I must sort it and this takes time.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

I like how i have to sort it and it is unique ore. ;)

skomick
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by skomick »

bobingabout wrote:Poll time!
Should I de-merge Nickel ore from Galena and have 2 seperate ores, or keep it as it is, where Mining Galena gives both Nickel and Lead?
I concur with the pro-sorters. I haven't actually dwelt into the intricacies of sorting, but I would really like to. Sure, I can look for a spot where, say, iron and copper are somewhat mixed, or I could mix some lines together then re-sort them (for testing), but Galena guarantees a mixed mining operation where sorting is needed.

CreeperDaReeper
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by CreeperDaReeper »

Just had a scary thought. What if he got rid of stone fields and made it so that every ore field gave out itself and stone?

dsx20
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by dsx20 »

CreeperDaReeper wrote:Just had a scary thought. What if he got rid of stone fields and made it so that every ore field gave out itself and stone?
This makes sense. The only issue is what to do with all that stone? Perhaps as technologies evolve the ability to extract greater quantities of actual ore and less stone could be achieved. This way the player could balance the amount of stone as per their requirements. Something similar to the Advanced Ore Processing would achieve this.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

dsx20 wrote:The only issue is what to do with all that stone?
Same as all that annoying Lead ore, Sodium Hydroxide and Calcium Chloride(if you're making lots of tungsten).

Fill a chest and blow it up with your shotgun. :lol:

on a more serious note... I noticed that shortly after posting the poll, there was quickly a tie between the 2 different ideas. Although the poll is currently leaning towards the "Keep it as it is" option, I was thinking I should add a 3rd option to the poll... 2 mods.

No, not 2 versions of the same mod, one with Galena, the other with Lead and Nickel.

Bob's Ores mod, this as it is now, with everything you need to use bobplates, plus a second, Bob's More Ores mod, which adds Nickel ore deposits (and overides Galena back to Lead ore, dropping only the lead ore item), and possibly other optional ores, like Cobalt.
Nothing in this "More ores" mod should be required. It should all either be optional in a recipe (not being there if the item from the ore doesn't exist. EG: Floride, Should be part of Aluminium Electrolysis, but is currently missing), or obtainable via other means. (EG: A Sulfur field, Sulfur is also obtainable from the oil chain. or Salt field, currently able to be created by boiling water.)
I also have a Patreon.

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

Instead of making it a separate mod, would it be possible to make it a configuration option in Bob's ores? Default behaviour like it is now, but an option somewhere near the top of a .lua like SplitNickelAndLead=1?

Taking the concept even a step further (or a few steps), what I think I could find interesting is to have ore fields that are just 'Ore', where mining it would give you a variety of all the available ores (well, except for Fe, Cu and probably coal and stone, as those are required to get started, those should probably be in their own fields [or even those, outside of the starting area :lol: ] )

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

Just a note: Galena is PbS so galena is lead and silver mineral that needs to be chemically separated. So current galena is fantasy metal.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

cpy wrote:Just a note: Galena is PbS so galena is lead and silver mineral that needs to be chemically separated. So current galena is fantasy metal.
S is Sulfur, Galena is a Sulfide ore, most commonly Lead Sulfide. If you notice the recipe Lead ore + Oxygen creates Lead Oxide and Sulfur Dioxide, which are used to make Lead plates, and either Sulfur, or Sulfuric Acid. Nickel can be a sulfide ore too, also named Galena which is NiS.

It is possible that Galena also has trace amounts of other elemental impurities, such as Silver, and Arsnic though.

Although naturally Lead Galena and Nickel Galena arn't usually found together, since they're both called Galena, you can see why I have Galena spawn both ores when mined.
Boogieman14 wrote:Instead of making it a separate mod, would it be possible to make it a configuration option in Bob's ores? Default behaviour like it is now, but an option somewhere near the top of a .lua like SplitNickelAndLead=1?
Yeah, it would be possible, but depending how I go about it, the extra noise layers would still exist, wasting processing cycles to generate more map that do nothing. Probably the best way to avoid that is to check the variable during the resource definition for the whole group, including noise layer and autoplace control, only defining the ore item.
I also have a Patreon.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

Yeah i forgot. I must confused it with something that is actually silver. PbS yeah S is sulfur. But damn what was i thinking to confuse it with silver. As far as i know there is no such thing as nickel galena.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I'm trying to find the source where I got the name Nickel Galena from, but I can't find it. From memory it was pure Nickel and Sulfur, no other major atom content in the molecules, just low quantities of impurites.
I also have a Patreon.

Return to “Bob's mods”