[0.12.x][v0.12.8] Bob's Ore Mod.

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

Keep merged Galena, or change to seperate Lead and Nickel ores?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:05 am

Galena gives Lead and Nickel
56%
Lead and Nickel as seperate ore fields.
11%
Keep Galena, and add another mod that adds Nickel ore fields. (turning Galena to Lead ore)
33%

Total votes: 9

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.10.x] Bob's Ore Mod.

Post by cpy »

Millerite

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millerite

With that you will find http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentlandite in it also, so the wiki says :D

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I found both of those while looking last night. They're not it. Whatever it was, it's green, because I based the colour of the icon on what the ore actually looked like.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

cartmen180
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cartmen180 »

bobingabout wrote:I found both of those while looking last night. They're not it. Whatever it was, it's green, because I based the colour of the icon on what the ore actually looked like.
Well, a major source of nickel is millerite and consists of the elements you mentioned.
The green one might be a nickel iron sulfate, i cant remember the name though.
Check out my mods

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

cartmen180 wrote:
bobingabout wrote:I found both of those while looking last night. They're not it. Whatever it was, it's green, because I based the colour of the icon on what the ore actually looked like.
Well, a major source of nickel is millerite and consists of the elements you mentioned.
I wonder what name that would be, if only someone posted that name 2 posts ago. :(
Also it does not seem to be green.

cartmen180
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cartmen180 »

cpy wrote:
cartmen180 wrote:
I wonder what name that would be, if only someone posted that name 2 posts ago. :(
Also it does not seem to be green.
the ore you mention is a nickel iron sulfate yes, but there are many kinds of them and apparantly bob found one that is green, pentlandite is not :p
but i know there is one, just can't remember its name
Check out my mods

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garnierite
Green Nickel ore.... Not Galena, not even Nickel Sulfide, but it is green.

oh god, now I'm reminded of that alcohol joke from startrek. "What is it?" "It is..." *can't find lable* "It is..." *Sniffs it* "It is green." I think it was Saurian Brandy.
I also have a Patreon.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

H2O(Mg,Ni)3Si4O10(OH)2
Also no lead. How did you came up with lead nickel ore?

cartmen180
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cartmen180 »

creative freedom perhaps :p
Check out my mods

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

cpy wrote:How did you came up with lead nickel ore?
Lead Sulfide. Nickel Sulfide. They're both sulfide ores. Also, as said, I'm sure I read somewhere that there was such a thing as Nickel Galena, which is why I chose to rename the ore field to Galena.
However, using the "They're both sulfide ores" logic, I could combine all the Oxides, and use the same excuse X3.
I also have a Patreon.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

Well you can combine ore for the sake of combining ore, but don't expect people like me to understand why. I'm more of a overly complicated gregtech guy that likes when things are realistic.

Still you can save some ore space when you combine stuff. There should be like dump sewage pipes and trash chests so i can produce one thing and dump the excess.
Anyway your mod seems to be best balanced in the big mods company.

cartmen180
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cartmen180 »

cpy wrote:Well you can combine ore for the sake of combining ore, but don't expect people like me to understand why. I'm more of a overly complicated gregtech guy that likes when things are realistic.

Still you can save some ore space when you combine stuff. There should be like dump sewage pipes and trash chests so i can produce one thing and dump the excess.
Anyway your mod seems to be best balanced in the big mods company.
it is a different planet, my guess is on this one there is a lead-nickel sulfate!
Check out my mods

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

So you say laws of physics/chemistry does not apply there? I don't think it's possible to make compound out of it for practical use. It just feels weird. I love big industrial chemistry :D

cartmen180
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cartmen180 »

different temperatures and pressures could create mineral formations not seen on earth, i don't know if a nickel-lead sulfate is at all possible though :p

also the ore can hold both a lead sulfate and a nickel sulfate, they don't have to be combined. But when you proces the ore you have to seperate the nickel from the lead, so imo bob is doing a great job :D

edit: i found a couple nickel-lead sulfates http://www.mindat.org/chemsearch.php?in ... r+Minerals
Check out my mods

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

cartmen180 wrote:different temperatures and pressures could create mineral formations not seen on earth, i don't know if a nickel-lead sulfate is at all possible though :p

also the ore can hold both a lead sulfate and a nickel sulfate, they don't have to be combined. But when you proces the ore you have to seperate the nickel from the lead, so imo bob is doing a great job :D

edit: i found a couple nickel-lead sulfates http://www.mindat.org/chemsearch.php?in ... r+Minerals
I don't know if you played this game, but character you play, looks pretty much like humans so i doubt it there would be different atmosphere than here on earth, temperature and pressure would be same as here.

Ok so there is Nickel-Lead-Sulfate, then you can't just separate those 2 in hand now do you? But you have to rename galena to Shandite or Lead-Parkerite.

cartmen180
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cartmen180 »

that's what i am saying, bob only needs to rename galena to something else :p
also it is not about the pressure and temp now, it is all about the forming of the planet over millions of years. But that doesn't matter much, the nickel-lead sulfates occur in nature on earth anyways.
Check out my mods

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I've been looking at the config.lua option. It wasn't hard, I just had to make sure I got the Syntax right. So far I have a single line that says "Cobalt=true" in there, which causes Cobalt ore to apear in the map generation list, and produce Cobalt ore. Setting it to anything else (including True, which threw me off for a while there, whoops) results in no Cobalt ore.

This is a good starting point, means that now I have the format laid out, I can quite easily expand upon it, and make a the Nickel configuration.
Due to the results of the poll so far, Defaults will be Galena gives Lead and Nickel, no Cobalt. Keep the ores to a minimum.

I've also been thinking of replacing Gold and Silver ores with Electrum. Being a natural alloy, it kind of makes Electrum a low end material instead of a higher end material, and screws over the "Silver is a low level conductive ore" thing. The only thing I've really used it for so far is to make Solder, Tin, Copper and Silver. Heck, removing Silver wouldn't break anything, because the newer version of plates has a Lead based solder recipe, and it isn't needed for anything else. Most of my recipes that have a high end conductor use Gold.
I also have a Patreon.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

Galena should give leadsulfate and nickel, just to stay a bit real and to mess with electrolyzing even more :D

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Okay, so far I've added...

Optional Cobaltite vains, can be enabled in config.lua with EnableCobaltOre=true.
Optional Nickel Ore vains, can be enabled in config.lua with EnableNickelOre=true.
Optional Sulfur vains, can be enabled in config.lua with EnableSulfur=true.
Galena vains can give Nickel ore, can be enbabled in config.lua with GalenaGivesNickel=true, Enabled by default.
Nickel ore vains can give Cobaltite, can be enabled in config.lua with NickelGivesCobalt=true, if you have this with Nickel Ore disabled, but GalenaGivesNickel enabled, Galena will give Cobaltite too.

Any sugestions on other ores to add?

EDIT: Okay, the new version, 0.6.0 has been uploaded and linked in the first post.
I also have a Patreon.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.10.7+] Bob's Ore Mod.

Post by bobingabout »

Minor update

v0.6.1
* Added infinite ore option to config file.
* Included a check to see if Iron Ore and Stone exist before replacing the icon to prevent a crash if you're using a mod that removes them.

Try out the infinite ores option, and let me know what you think.
I also have a Patreon.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.10.7+][v0.6.2] Bob's Ore Mod.

Post by bobingabout »

Okay, Factorio V0.11.0 broke all my mods, so I'm patching them 1 by 1. These are purely patchs, no updates.

Updated Ores first:
v0.6.2
* Added optional Gem ore (incomplete, do not use)
* Updated for Factorio V0.11

Turn on gem ore and have a look at it in game if you like, but I recomend not mining it. (it should work, but give you a junk item I don't plan to keep)
I also have a Patreon.

Return to “Bob's mods”