[0.12.x][v0.12.8] Bob's Ore Mod.

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

Keep merged Galena, or change to seperate Lead and Nickel ores?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:05 am

Galena gives Lead and Nickel
56%
Lead and Nickel as seperate ore fields.
11%
Keep Galena, and add another mod that adds Nickel ore fields. (turning Galena to Lead ore)
33%

Total votes: 9

Porter65
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [0.12.x][v0.12.7] Bob's Ore Mod.

Post by Porter65 »

Ok, thanks for the feedback. Remember that Germany during WW2 produced more and more (up to 60%) of their refined oil from coal cracking. :)

XartaX
Inserter
Inserter

Post by XartaX »

So... Unless I missed something, you have to manually filter lead output with smart inserters and void/use the nickel? If so that's a massive pain in the ass just automate lead production, which you need relatively early.

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Supercheese »

XartaX wrote:So... Unless I missed something, you have to manually filter lead output with smart inserters and void/use the nickel? If so that's a massive pain in the ass just automate lead production, which you need relatively early.
There is a config option to have separate Lead Ore that only gives lead, and Nickel Ore that only gives nickel, which removes that issue.

Porter65
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Porter65 »

About the iron crunch

I have a dire iron crunch, always, from the start. It might be because of the settings I use, a modified RSO mod. But perhaps others are also facing the issue. For me the only mineral of importance that drives my expansion is iron, the rest is much more present that I'll ever need I believe, with perhaps copper, and not even sure.

So if others find iron is a bit too constrained and others minerals are too much disregarded, here are 2 proposals that can be done separately or together. If Bob is against, I'll try doing that as a personal mod:

Gunmetal to steel conversion. Gunmetal is not made with iron at all. I know that. But functionally, it is extremely close to steel. So I'm proposing that you can convert gunmetal to steel. Ratio can be 3:2 for example.

Ore purification: Basically the rational to mineral alchemy. You can process almost any ore and find some scraps of iron ore into them. Say a ratio of 4:1. Process nickel, you find some iron, etc. Vastly not efficient, but believe me, I would gladly extract bauxite, gold, nickel, you name that just to find some traces of iron.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Porter65 wrote:About the iron crunch
I have a dire iron crunch, always, from the start. It might be because of the settings I use, a modified RSO mod.
If you're using RSO, and are having issues with spawn rates, that instantly puts the issue outside of my mod, because RSO changes spawn rates, that is it's purpose. I maintain no contact or maintanance of RSO, the whole thing is done by it's auther with the aid of 3rd parties.
Supercheese wrote:There is a config option to have separate Lead Ore that only gives lead, and Nickel Ore that only gives nickel, which removes that issue.
In future versions, I'm likely going to have Nickle and Lead as seperate ore fields by default.
XartaX wrote:So... Unless I missed something, you have to manually filter lead output with smart inserters and void/use the nickel? If so that's a massive pain in the ass just automate lead production, which you need relatively early.
That is the idea, yes, you need smart inserters to sort the 2 ores.
However, since Nickle can't be smelted in a furnace, on the early game you can have your lead/nickle ore supply running down a belt that has inserters to feed stright into the furnaces. The inserters will only grab lead since they can't smelt nickel, letting the nickle collect at the end of the belt, then you use an inserter and chest to clear the line. You can then use the nickle later... or just shoot the chest if you want rid of it.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

DungeonRyu
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DungeonRyu »

bobingabout wrote:In future versions, I'm likely going to have Nickle and Lead as seperate ore fields by default.
I think that this should be optional, since a lot of ores makes it difficult to have enough basic ores(coal, iron, copper) spawns at the beginning. Especially if one has huge enemy bases setup, in this case zinc, titanium, tungsten, bauxite, rutile, silver and gold are 100% inside of huge enemy territories.
I already had to spawn richer coal fields in order to have enough.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Porter65 wrote:About the iron crunch

I have a dire iron crunch, always, from the start. It might be because of the settings I use, a modified RSO mod. But perhaps others are also facing the issue. For me the only mineral of importance that drives my expansion is iron, the rest is much more present that I'll ever need I believe, with perhaps copper, and not even sure.
If you are using modified RSO mod then I'm sorry help will be very limited. It's entirely possible you created this issue for yourself :)

eformo
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by eformo »

bobingabout wrote: That is the idea, yes, you need smart inserters to sort the 2 ores.
However, since Nickle can't be smelted in a furnace, on the early game you can have your lead/nickle ore supply running down a belt that has inserters to feed stright into the furnaces. The inserters will only grab lead since they can't smelt nickel, letting the nickle collect at the end of the belt, then you use an inserter and chest to clear the line. You can then use the nickle later... or just shoot the chest if you want rid of it.

This is the reason I'm a little disappointed to hear you're going to change the default (though I will be plenty happy if I can change the new default to what the current is!) It's a fun solution and makes that smelting line only slightly different from my other smelting lines.

In prior playthroughs, I loaded all the ore (via inserters) into chests. Then set the lead smelter up to be fed from chests, and transferred galena manually to those chests - this is something I only had to do manually 1-3 times before I could automate the process anyway. Late game, bots sort everything, so the problem has 3 distinct solutions that I've implemented in any given game, and 4 different ones that I've used in some game or another. It feels to me like a rather ideal factorio-progression, the low-tech solution, mid-tech, high tech, each with varying levels of automation involved.

At any rate, thank you Bob for a set of mods that have made this game so much more fun for me. Really appreciated and I hope your desire to mod rises again in the near future.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

eformo wrote:This is the reason I'm a little disappointed to hear you're going to change the default (though I will be plenty happy if I can change the new default to what the current is!) It's a fun solution and makes that smelting line only slightly different from my other smelting lines.
Although it is more fun for the experienced players to be required to sort this stuff, it is less realistic than I originally thought, one of the main drives for changing them to separate fields by default.

I will leave in the option for players change it back to how it currently is though, so you don't need to worry.

There are a few others where I want to change the default too, such as modules. Productivity filters turned ON by default now that they're actually set up (So you can't put them in just anything), and God modules turned off by default.

Something else that I have already made possible for others to easily mod, though haven't written a mod for myself, is pretty much to make any ore-resource drop any ore-item. You can't easilly turn off any of the base game ores, but can turn off all of mine quite easily. A simple mod could make it so Iron Ore fields give you all kinds of ores with random chances.
I also have a Patreon.

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

bobingabout wrote: Something else that I have already made possible for others to easily mod, though haven't written a mod for myself, is pretty much to make any ore-resource drop any ore-item. You can't easilly turn off any of the base game ores, but can turn off all of mine quite easily. A simple mod could make it so Iron Ore fields give you all kinds of ores with random chances.
Something I'm working on, there will be 6 new ores on the map plus coal and oil nothing more, all the base and bob ores (and probably all other mods I add) will have to be refined from them, which will require you to handle multiple ore outputs and sorting.

XartaX
Inserter
Inserter

Post by XartaX »

I wouldn't mind if there was an actual realistic way of sorting ore (like filter belts or something).

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

XartaX wrote:(like filter belts or something).
I think there is (or was, might not have been updated to latest version) a mod that does that.
I also have a Patreon.

XartaX
Inserter
Inserter

Post by XartaX »

Well, probably. I just mean that if you make your mod put different kinds of ores on the same belt right out of the drill, it's probably good to include something like that in the mod itself. Especially if it's the default setting. You'd probably get a lot less complaints that way.

dnulho
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by dnulho »

In reply to your poll,
Galena: PbS, has no nickel in it, other than trace amounts. There is a much higher impurity rate of silver, so if you want to get other metals out of the Galena, you should have it be silver at a 1-2% occurrence. (Requiring advanced processing to extract.)
[Wikipedia's "Nickel" page does have a reference of nickel galena (with sulfur and arsenic) in it, but I couldn't find anything that talked about it directly on Google or Wikipedia, everything talked about lead galena.]
A good source of Nickel would be Pentlandite: (NiFe)9S8, which also contains equal parts iron. Depending on how and when you implement the necessity for nickel, this can help slow/limit the iron shortage mid and late game.
I think it would be cool to have all of the ores have real names, rather than the generic ones. For example: Instead of "Iron Ore", there would be Magnetite Ore: Fe3O4, and/or Hematite: Fe2O3, Both of which can be is treated almost exactly as "Iron Ore", where it is placed in a furnace and melted directly into iron sheets. Copper would be replaced with Cuprite: Cu2O, Chalcocite: Cu2S, and Chalcopyrite: CuFeS2, with the Chalcopyrite being processed into equal amounts of iron and copper.
With these different ores, an option might be to have an unequal production of plate from the ores, if we say that it takes 3 atomic units to make a plate, then it would take 1 Magnetite Ore to produce 1 plate, but it would take 3 Hematite ores to produce 2 plates. It would take 3 Chalcopyrite Ore to produce 1 iron plate and 1 copper plate (with the sulfur being burned off as pollution), And 4 Pentlandite Ore to produce 1 Nickel and 1 Iron plate (sulfur occupies roughly half of the ore). [Yes I know that I am not accounting for the fact the each element has a different atomic mass. But if I did I would have to either assume that all of the ores had a constant mass or a constant volume, and all of the plates has a constant mass or volume, and we would be forced to do much larger batches to keep the atomic mol counts correct... a little hand waving and some gaming magic keeps the complexity to a manageable level, and don't even start with the real world issues of impurities]
Another possible thought is to have furnaces have an operating temperature limit, and different ores must be heated to different temperatures in order to be correctly processed.
Anyway, does anyone like this idea?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I kind of like the heat filter thing, to effectively do that you'd need to create several factory types, and list each ore recipe to it's temperature. on the factories, list all temperatures up to it's maximum.
Probably not something I'll actually do though.

And tungsten is over 4000 degrees... it might as well be over ninethousand because you'd pretty much just melt the furnace before you melted the tungsten, it's why they use tungsten as a heatproof shielding on things.

But I take your points with Galena, I think when I decided to make Galena (lead ore) give Nickel, I was a little confused because Nickel lists Galena as an ore wikipedia, even though it is a completely different ore with the same name.
I have already detailed my intention to make Galena not give Nickel by default, instead it should be it's own ore field. I'll still give the options to set it back to the old style for those who want it though.

As for the option of getting silver from lead Galena... there already is a high end recipe for that! I'm not sure entirely why you'd want to use it though, Silver is rarely used as it is.

There have also been other mods that do things like you are sugesting, and create more realworld ores instead of just iron ore and copper ore, in fact there was a mod, I think by Cartmen, that basically replaced all ores in the game with one that looked like stone ore, and it gave you numerous ore types when you mined it, as well as complex refining methods.
I also have a Patreon.

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

That's why most of the time tungsten is not used as the main material but as an alloying ingredient and if you want to use metals that consist mainly of tungsten you would use a sinter process depending on which properties you desire in the end result.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Which is one reason I was considering keeping tungsten itself in powder form, and forcing people to use a machine to craft a final product, as well as doing the same with the ceramic material, I forgot what it's name is, I'm sorry, I'm that out of the loop with my own mod...
However, although forcing you to make it in a machine, it's less convinient, and I didn't want to force people to do it... at least, I havn't got to that stage yet.
I also have a Patreon.

eudel
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by eudel »

the german language file was missing some strings, here is the updated one
Attachments
names.cfg
updated german language file
(1.28 KiB) Downloaded 87 times

hexatriene
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by hexatriene »

I've been playing with 0.12.7 in multiplayer mode and for some reason I can't find cobaltite (cobalt ore) anywhere. Of course I tried the command as instructed:

Code: Select all

/c game.regenerate_entity("cobalt-ore")
but I get an error message:
Error: Entity cobalt-ore is not autoplaceable.
I was told I also needed to check that Cobalt ore was enabled in the control.lua file - I opened it up but didn't see anything to suggest it wasn't disabled.

Anyone have any ideas?

Code: Select all

require "defines"

local function regenerate_entity(ore)
  if game.entity_prototypes[ore] and game.entity_prototypes[ore].autoplace_specification then
    game.regenerate_entity(ore)
  end
end

remote.add_interface("bobores",
{
  Regenerate = function()
--    for i, player in ipairs(game.players) do
--      player.print("Regenerating all ores now, this may take some time...")
--    end
    regenerate_entity("tin-ore")
    regenerate_entity("lead-ore")
    regenerate_entity("quartz")
    regenerate_entity("silver-ore")
    regenerate_entity("zinc-ore")
    regenerate_entity("gold-ore")
    regenerate_entity("bauxite-ore")
    regenerate_entity("rutile-ore")
    regenerate_entity("tungsten-ore")

regenerate_entity("nickel-ore")
    regenerate_entity("cobalt-ore")
    regenerate_entity("sulfur")
    regenerate_entity("gem-ore")
    for i, player in ipairs(game.players) do
      player.print("All ores successfully regenerated!")
    end
  end
}
)

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

@hexatriene
Get the bob config mod, it is basically the config file for all of bobmods, there you can enable the cobaltite without changing code

Return to “Bob's mods”