[0.12.x][v0.12.8] Bob's Ore Mod.

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

Keep merged Galena, or change to seperate Lead and Nickel ores?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:05 am

Galena gives Lead and Nickel
56%
Lead and Nickel as seperate ore fields.
11%
Keep Galena, and add another mod that adds Nickel ore fields. (turning Galena to Lead ore)
33%

Total votes: 9

codewarrior
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [0.11.22/0.12.x][v0.12.6] Bob's Ore Mod.

Post by codewarrior »

@netmc:

Don't worry about getting the ratio exact for the Lead Oxide and Advanced Lead machines. As you unlock more techs for higher level chemical plants and multipurpose furnaces, the ratio will swing around a lot. A 1:2 ratio of Oxide to Advanced Lead is good enough for most of the game.

The sulfuric acid from Nickel and Lead processing I just stash in barrels, thousands of them. Otherwise a full sulfur tank means my lead processing stops and the solder stops flowing. When I get to producing batteries, ICs and CPUs later on, I'm glad I saved all of that acid. It's easy to tap into the sulfur dioxide to get a stream of sulfur crystals for explosives or whatever.

Remember that if you're electrolyzing water for oxygen to process lead, you can process the excess hydrogen into solid fuel. My usual electrolysis setup has two tanks connected to combinators and pumps, to vent the oxygen or make solid fuel from the hydrogen whenever one tank gets too far ahead of the other.

Advanced copper processing is a big win. You can essentially transmute coal and stone into copper plates, but the setups can get huge because of all the pipes, belts, and long/short/mixed/smart inserters. There's not much to do with the cobalt, though. The only use for cobalt plates is pickaxes, but the cobalt oxide goes into the Li-Ion Batteries.

A lot of the byproducts are unavoidable, none of them are unneeded, and they don't really fit into any "neat" production ratios because they're needed for completely different things. Trying to stop them will just jam up the main production, so you'll have to work out a way to stash several chests full of them, even if you choose to use logistics robots. You can process nickel ore either for the plates or for the acid, and you'll always have leftovers of one or the other. Sulfur dioxide comes from lead, and barreling it up for later as sulfuric acid is the best way to deal with it. Hydrogen and oxygen are never used in the ratio you produce them at - see the venting/processing strategy above. Sodium hydroxide comes from producing Hydrochloric Acid and Chlorine, and is needed for aluminum and zinc batteries.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.11.22/0.12.x][v0.12.6] Bob's Ore Mod.

Post by bobingabout »

I didn't actually balance anything on purpose, but it sounds like I accidently did a good job :lol:

But yes, I would attempt to create some sort of gas void overflow system. If I were to do it personally, I would use 2 storage tanks, 1 for each gas. hooked up 4 pumps, 2 on each line, that lead to a void pump/gas vent.

From the tank, have 2 pumps feeing each other, then feeding the void pump. link one to the oxygen tank, and the other to a hydrogen tank. the checks for the oxygen release should be if Oxygen is above a certain level, and hydrogen below a certain level, and Hydrogen the reverse.

So if one gas is overflowing, and the other is too low, it gets released so the electrolyser can get to work.

make sense?

Of course you don't have to use a void pump, you could use something else, like turn the hydrogen into fuel blocks.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.11.22/0.12.x][v0.12.7] Bob's Ore Mod.

Post by Airat9000 »

:( not generate sulfur in
Attachments
2015-11-10_12-09-35.jpg
2015-11-10_12-09-35.jpg (433.98 KiB) Viewed 8063 times

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Sulphur, Nickel and Cobalt do not auto-generate. They should still be able to be placed manually in the editor though.

If you want to have them auto-generate, you need to edit config.lua in bobconfig mod to turn it on.

What mod is that adding the water patchs and stuff?
I also have a Patreon.

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Airat9000 »

bobingabout wrote:Sulphur, Nickel and Cobalt do not auto-generate. They should still be able to be placed manually in the editor though.

If you want to have them auto-generate, you need to edit config.lua in bobconfig mod to turn it on.

What mod is that adding the water patchs and stuff?
please code in )

Photoloss
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Photoloss »

I didn't read through the entire thread so sorry if this has been posted before, but could you please increase the contrast of certain ores, including the minimap colors?

In particular I feel Bauxite could use a little more grey to help differentiate it from gold (seriously, finding gold is a pain until you see the first true deposit, bauxite is everywhere...)

Iron, Galena, Tin, Quartz and Silver are all varying shades of grey, making the latter in particular excruciating to prospect with all the tin going around for free. Sadly being more "realistic" won't help as iron ore would be reddish like copper, galena and tin ore are both greyish-black and silver would likely end up looking very non-silver too. Maybe you can shift the hues around a bit, in particular to make iron, tin and silver more distinguishable.

In case anyone cares, here's the color code a quick google search gives you:
Iron: keep as is, or change to a dull, rusty red (rust is iron oxide, the same stuff we find as ore)
Copper: potentially dull orange (very similar to rust), but the turquoise sulfate variety really sticks out. When I first saw it, I actually thought bob's zinc ore was copper sulfate :D
Tin: either dull light grey as it is now, or a shiny dark grey for Cassiterite
Lead/Galena: pretty much spot-on, with an option for a slight blue hue
Bauxite: a lighter orange or a "sandy" yellow, less green tint in the ore and less brightness/saturation on the minimap
Zinc: very similar to Tin ore, potentially a lighter grey and/or a reddish hue. The turqoise form does exist too though
Rutile: good as is, could be a little darker
Tungsten: inconclusive, though many pictures show an irregular black-and-white pattern. Zebra ore? ;)
Cobalt: all over the place, keep it blue for now
Silver: I can't tell it apart from zinc in the pictures :) Probably keep it close to the current version, maybe turn up the sheen/brightness. Make tin and zinc noticeably darker than it, so we end up confusing those two instead (as we Germans do in real life, what with one being "Zink" and the other "Zinn" :lol: )
Gold: keep it
Quartz, Stone, Coal, shiny rocks: not really ores and can stay as is, though the gems are an eyesore on the minimap.

Overall, neither realism nor the "viewers are morons" code of metal color=ore color solve all gameplay problems...

On the gameplay side, it feels like many of the intermediate metals don't really warrant their own independent existence at the moment. As most structures and especially modules are so heavy on circuits you'll burn through good scores of copper, tin, lead/silver and some gold, with iron/steel going into structural components as always. Titanium and tungsten also see good use, with nickel consumed in smaller, yet decent, quantities as well. I have yet to find any gameply-based reason for bronze, brass and invar to exist separately. Since the mods aren't "complete" yet this at least leaves ample room for future additions without introducing a new ore every update.
I would also like to see more "advanced" processing like cobalt-copper and silver-lead, these could, for example, be used to eliminate some of the "alloy base" ores (zinc and nickel mainly). And I don't know if this belongs in the "ores" mod topic, but please add some way of dealing with excess sulfuric acid. When running advanced lead processing for solder the whole system tends to shut down as the tanks fill up, and the current consumption of zinc+batteries is nowhere near enough to consume it all (unless maybe you build a massive MK1 accumulator farm, but then batteries require lead too...)

TimmPure
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TimmPure »

Photoloss wrote:I didn't read through the entire thread so sorry if this has been posted before, but could you please increase the contrast of certain ores, including the minimap colors?
In addition to those suggestions: another way to differentiate between them on the minimap might be to give them different textures; varying not (only) in colour. In normal view you can quickly identify what the ore is by hoovering over it, so that isn't such a big issue.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Minimap... well, it can only have 2 patterns. Solid, or checkered, there are no other options in the game currently.

As for the coloured ores... some used to be more unique than they are now. I am actually unhappy with the current sprites for Silver and Gold since switching to the tinting method, the old versions looked a lot more shiney and unique, there was no confusion between silver and tin, or bauxite and gold like there is now, but I couldn't reproduce this quallity with the tinting system. similarly Rutile (which used to have several colours mixed in with it) looks a lot more bland now.

I suppose it could be possible to re-add the old sprites, but that's kind of going backwards to the sprite reducing system I've been trying to introduce (to help keep the game's memory usage down).

Having said this, I could tweak things.
I also have a Patreon.

GeorgeTheWild
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by GeorgeTheWild »

I'm trying to play a map where there is high ore density so that I can play with much higher biter levels without having to make huge train lines out to individual resources. I'm looking for a map like was used for the AMASS multi-player series on youtube. Does anyone know of map settings that will increase the ore density? I tried putting everything at very high frequency, but ores still spawn super far apart. I think I might have to modify the settings in the base Bob's Ore Mod 12.7 code, but I couldn't figure out which settings set the probability of ore spawning in a given "chunk".

Any advice or tips would be appreciated!

kinnom
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kinnom »

disable rso
no yes yes no yes no yes yes

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

If you put it on high frequency, then things should spawn pretty often. RSO overites these if you are using it.

But even so, only certain ores can spawn within the starting area, most of them can only spawn outside the starting area, at which point enemies can spawn.
I also have a Patreon.

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

Is there a way to have endless rescources and regular rescource spawns?

Had the idea of ore fields which have something like an endless core. Like have a Donut of regular ore around a core of endless ore of the same type. So you have the regular ore for volume and the endless for sustainability. But my guess is that you have to create different entities for it to work?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

You would need to create different entities, yes. and even if you do that, only one entity can exist in a tile, if not done right (and I'm not sure what the right way is right now without looking it up) you could end up with the outter layer being created first, blocking the endless core from being created in the middle.
I also have a Patreon.

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

I guess it's time to get into programming then :P Thanks for the reply and Keep up the work, really love playing with your mod pack.

AmrodAegnor
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by AmrodAegnor »

I just wanted to ask: If I forgot to add cobalt ore at map generation, I'm screwed, right? Or is there a way to add some cobaltite into a savegame?

Not that it's really necessary, but now I have all those copper plates and since my original copper production is a) still going strong and b) very far away from the outpost where I'm producing the cobalt-oxide, there's nothing to do with them and I have yet another line filling up lots of chests.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

AmrodAegnor wrote:I just wanted to ask: If I forgot to add cobalt ore at map generation, I'm screwed, right? Or is there a way to add some cobaltite into a savegame?

Not that it's really necessary, but now I have all those copper plates and since my original copper production is a) still going strong and b) very far away from the outpost where I'm producing the cobalt-oxide, there's nothing to do with them and I have yet another line filling up lots of chests.
You can add it. It tells you how on the first post.
Type the following into the console. (open the console with the ~ key)

Code: Select all

/c game.regenerate_entity("cobalt-ore")
The game will pause for a moment, then when it resumes, you should have cobalt on your map.
I also have a Patreon.

BoavaNet
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by BoavaNet »

is the multiplayer working for this mod? Me and some friends are trying to play but every time we add this mod it gives us connect refused.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

BoavaNet wrote:is the multiplayer working for this mod? Me and some friends are trying to play but every time we add this mod it gives us connect refused.
I have not tested it in quite some time, however, As far as I know, as long as everyone has all the same mods installed, it should work.

This includes any setting files being the same, if the server has changed something using config mod, then this could be the cause of a refused connection.

My recommendation is to zip up the entire mod folder for whoever the host is and pass it along to all clients, and try again.
I also have a Patreon.

Porter65
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [0.12.x][v0.12.7] Bob's Ore Mod.

Post by Porter65 »

Hi,

Trying this overwhelming mod. It is slightly more complex than I expected :)

Anyway... In my map, I have almost no oil (because of generation settings). I finally found out 2 patches of oil very very far from me, and that will be a fun challenge to get something from them.

Back to my point, to get to coal cracking, that can replaces oil, you need blue science packs, and they need plastic. Plastic can't be created without petroleum gas. Catch 22.

I suggest you add bakelite as a poor man replacement to plastic. Don't go too complex on that, it should just be something that remove the deadlock on blue science pack, perhaps 10 coal and some fancy molecule gives 1 plastic.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.12.x][v0.12.7] Bob's Ore Mod.

Post by bobingabout »

Porter65 wrote:Hi,

Trying this overwhelming mod. It is slightly more complex than I expected :)

Anyway... In my map, I have almost no oil (because of generation settings). I finally found out 2 patches of oil very very far from me, and that will be a fun challenge to get something from them.

Back to my point, to get to coal cracking, that can replaces oil, you need blue science packs, and they need plastic. Plastic can't be created without petroleum gas. Catch 22.

I suggest you add bakelite as a poor man replacement to plastic. Don't go too complex on that, it should just be something that remove the deadlock on blue science pack, perhaps 10 coal and some fancy molecule gives 1 plastic.
I do see the point you're trying to make here, but Coal Cracking was never really intended as a replacement for the oil industry, it was supposed to be a supplement to the much higher demand on heavy oil for things such as synthetic wood for electronics. That's why Coal Cracking is on Advanced Oil Processing, which assumes you have an oil industry running already.

If I were to "Solve the problem" and make it so you can use coal cracking as an alternative to an oil refinery, I'd probably move it to a different research entirely. Though there's also the issue that the rest of the cracking recipes are also on Advanced Oil Processing, so if I did move it, you'd still be deadlocked without the other cracking recipes.

However, one of my "Base game modifications" (Most of my mod is designed as an extension, rather than a modification, so most of the original content is left unchanged, and worked around) is to change the recipe of plastics to use heavy oil instead of Petroleum gas, as well as a lot of other modifications to the oil chain to make it all make sense. Putting these all together would allow you to make plastics without a full oil chain, I'll have to keep research levels in mind when writing it though.
I also have a Patreon.

Return to “Bob's mods”