[0.12.x][v0.12.8] Bob's Ore Mod.

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

Keep merged Galena, or change to seperate Lead and Nickel ores?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:05 am

Galena gives Lead and Nickel
56%
Lead and Nickel as seperate ore fields.
11%
Keep Galena, and add another mod that adds Nickel ore fields. (turning Galena to Lead ore)
33%

Total votes: 9

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.11.22/0.12.x][v0.12.4] Bob's Ore Mod.

Post by orzelek »

bobingabout wrote:
orzelek wrote:
irbork wrote:With RSO. Thought it was not related since other ores looked ok.
I did a quick test with full set of bob's mods and I can see both gems and sulfur spawning.
RSO will need to be fixed to align to new way of enabling of ores if possible. According to wiki I can access autoplace info from control.lua so should be able to base ore detection or presence of autoplace instead of presence of ore item. I'll try to fix this soon.
I haven't much experience with control.lua. is it possible to access custom variables such as bobmods.ores.lead.enabled to see if it is true or false? (Probably going through the whole if bobsmods then if bobsmods.ores then if bobsmods.ores.lead then if bobsmods.ores.lead.enabled == true then thing)
if it doesn't work, would defining the variable as a global help? (Currently, I just define the variable as bobsmods = {}, I don't set it as local or global)
Variables you are defining are global if not specified as local. And I have no idea if they can be referenced from other mods especially in control.lua.
Autoplace is one method - other would be an external interface to query if ore is enabled or not.

Cape and Mask
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Cape and Mask »

Hi,

I am new to this, started with all the bob's mods and think I am on the latest version, but I've tried several times and can't seem to get a map with silver or which is needed for sodder to advance. Am I missing something I see a lot of other ores and gemstones, etc... but not any of the silver/nickle or is it very far away that I need to travel and find.

Thanks,

Cape and Mask

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Cape and Mask wrote:Hi,

I am new to this, started with all the bob's mods and think I am on the latest version, but I've tried several times and can't seem to get a map with silver or which is needed for sodder to advance. Am I missing something I see a lot of other ores and gemstones, etc... but not any of the silver/nickle or is it very far away that I need to travel and find.

Thanks,

Cape and Mask
Tin and Galena should both spawn in the starting area.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Cape and Mask
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Cape and Mask »

And from the Tin and Galenea you can get the silver? Because of the pictures, I kept looking for just "Silver" ore.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Cape and Mask wrote:And from the Tin and Galenea you can get the silver? Because of the pictures, I kept looking for just "Silver" ore.
Galena will give you lead and nickel by default.
There is a second recipe for solder plates that uses tin and lead.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

There are 2 recipes for solder plate. Tin and Lead or Tin, Copper and Silver. You should use the Tin and Lead recipe, Mining Galena gives you Lead.
I also have a Patreon.

Threndor
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Threndor »

Hi there,

I am on my second game of Factorio and first game with your mod-set, so still tons of learning going on... like your clue to another player about the cobalt! That icon is easy to miss when you are looking for an ore field.

My question deals with Gems: I have mined them, and have the cutting/polishing area set up... and can't figure out how to get it converted from 'ore' to 'raw'. The sorting machine process also wants the 'raw' resource, so it has to be something before that... (and here I thought that my bots had helped me sort when they took a bunch off of me <sigh> oh well!)

I have to say your mod certainly pushing factorio by an order of magnitude, thank you for making them.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Ore to Raw is in crafting group "Crafting Machine". That means you need to do it in any assembling machine.

I should point out that the previous version of bobplates had an error where crafting machine wasn't assigned to assembling machines, so you needed the electronics mod. This has been fixed however, so you should make sure you're using the latest version.
I also have a Patreon.

BinaryMan
Inserter
Inserter

Post by BinaryMan »

I am having fun with it, however I play with aliens on max settings and like to start surrounded and unable to expand so I was trying to figure out how to get at least 1 decent patch of everything in the spawn area. I thought was related to starting_area_weight_* but didn't identify anything that would make it exclude the starting area for certain advanced resources because maybe I don't fully understand the setting; however I did read that some (like gems?) are specifically excluded from the starting area.

I had considered manually spawning 1 infinite tile of each resource near spawn but was not sure how to do that (like oil, or lava in other mods), just so I am not completely stuck many hours into the game.

There's also a resource method I haven't seen which is to use the on_chunk_generated event instead of the resource auto-generation, and then each chunk has a % chance for a given resource with random placement within the chunk for more uniform distribution not relying on tweaking noise functions. I don't think the auto-gen settings are readable anywhere in game (like "Very High") so it's not possible to use a setting modifier on it except via configs. It is something I was trying to figure out if and how it can be done.

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kiba »

Hmm, I can't find bauxite at all. And I had built several remote bases.

Edit: At least not yet.

Still, it's an early critical ingredient if you want faster bots and other goodies.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

What controls starting area. In the definitions, autoplace peaks.

Code: Select all

starting_area_weight_optimal = 0,
        starting_area_weight_range = 0,
        starting_area_weight_max_range = 2,
The first line, Optimal sets if the peak is for a starting area or not. 0 means outside the starting area, 1 means in it. if these 3 tags do not exist at all, it will spawn everywhere with the same settings.

Vanilla resources, Galena/Lead, Tin, and Quartz are the only ones that have starting area settings.

Bauxite? Keep looking, it's a dirty yellow colour, it SHOULD spawn outside the starting area. Don't forget that it is random, you might just be having bad luck.
I also have a Patreon.

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kiba »

bobingabout wrote:What controls starting area. In the definitions, autoplace peaks.

Code: Select all

starting_area_weight_optimal = 0,
        starting_area_weight_range = 0,
        starting_area_weight_max_range = 2,
The first line, Optimal sets if the peak is for a starting area or not. 0 means outside the starting area, 1 means in it. if these 3 tags do not exist at all, it will spawn everywhere with the same settings.

Vanilla resources, Galena/Lead, Tin, and Quartz are the only ones that have starting area settings.

Bauxite? Keep looking, it's a dirty yellow colour, it SHOULD spawn outside the starting area. Don't forget that it is random, you might just be having bad luck.
I just found bauxite, but it's not conveniently located next to a coal mine, which is how I power all my base. [Through coal cracking, obviously]

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

kiba wrote:
bobingabout wrote:Bauxite? Keep looking, it's a dirty yellow colour, it SHOULD spawn outside the starting area. Don't forget that it is random, you might just be having bad luck.
I just found bauxite, but it's not conveniently located next to a coal mine, which is how I power all my base. [Through coal cracking, obviously]
I guess you have 2 options. Use that, or keep looking.
I also have a Patreon.

Timeslice
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [0.11.22/0.12.x][v0.12.5] Bob's Ore Mod.

Post by Timeslice »

The new version of the ores mod seems to have an erroneous amount of orange in some of the ore sprites, such as tin and lead.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Timeslice wrote:The new version of the ores mod seems to have an erroneous amount of orange in some of the ore sprites, such as tin and lead.
They shouldn't have orange in them. they're a white sprite, tinted white, and grey respectively, so they should only have white or grey. Either another mod is messing with them, or there's an issue somewhere with the base game.

can you post screenshots?
I also have a Patreon.

BinaryMan
Inserter
Inserter

Post by BinaryMan »

I was running 12.2 and cobalt did not come from the Galena ore.
bobmods.ores.NickelGivesCobalt=false ; is the culprit I guess. Cobalt ore spawning is disabled by default so Galena would have been the only other source.

I just downloaded and looked at 12.5 code and also the plates sub-mod, it still appears that will default settings cobalt is not possible to obtain from mining. Am I missing something? I ended up hacking cobalt and rutile into the drops for stone because they didn't spawn on my map anywhere and didn't seem to be obtainable through other ores.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

BinaryMan wrote:I was running 12.2 and cobalt did not come from the Galena ore.
bobmods.ores.NickelGivesCobalt=false ; is the culprit I guess. Cobalt ore spawning is disabled by default so Galena would have been the only other source.

I just downloaded and looked at 12.5 code and also the plates sub-mod, it still appears that will default settings cobalt is not possible to obtain from mining. Am I missing something? I ended up hacking cobalt and rutile into the drops for stone because they didn't spawn on my map anywhere and didn't seem to be obtainable through other ores.
the error with NickelGiveCobalt not giving cobalt from Galena was fixed in 0.12.3 I think.

But, the reason why the defaults have it so you don't get cobalt ore by default (And I'm actually getting tired of explaining this) Is because you don't need cobalt ORE for anything. It is true you need cobalt, but nobody said it has to be in ore form. You can get Cobalt Oxide as a byproduct from the advanced copper smelting recipe. in early versions of the mod it looks like a copper plate, unlocked by the cobalt processing technology. in newer versions of the mod it has an icon of a copper plate, with some blue powder (cobalt oxide) on it.

If you convert even only a portion of your copper smelting factory to this new recipe (Also requires stone, coal, and hydrogen, but processes in batchs of 7) then you end up with more cobalt oxide than you know what to do with.
I also have a Patreon.

Timeslice
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Timeslice »

bobingabout wrote:If you convert even only a portion of your copper smelting factory to this new recipe (Also requires stone, coal, and hydrogen, but processes in batchs of 7) then you end up with more cobalt oxide than you know what to do with.
On that note it would be really great to see cobalt (or cobalt steel) gears used in recipes somewhere.

It would have helped alot if you didn't have a picture of cobalt ore on the first post, or if you slapped a big "OBTAINED FROM COPPER" on the image... now it's a little late.

I use Dytech as well, and the ores turned orange when I updated to the latest plate and ores mod: http://imgur.com/kuT0KoA

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Oooohh, the ICONS, I thought you meant the ore fields themselves.

That is most likely because those are DyTech's icons... He's taking things in his own direction.

I think a recent change in my mods is that I used to define an ore in plates, if it existed or not. I changed this to only define the ore in plates if it doesn't already exist(since ores created it). Since the load order will be Bobores -> DyTech -> Bobplates, the result is that I define the ores, then DyTech re-defines the ore, using his icons, then I check to see if they exist, and they already do, so you're stuck with DyTech's ore icons instead of mine. They'll work just the same either way, but... yeah. There's not a lot I can do except revert to defining the ore either way.
I also have a Patreon.

Timeslice
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Timeslice »

bobingabout wrote:Oooohh, the ICONS, I thought you meant the ore fields themselves.

That is most likely because those are DyTech's icons... He's taking things in his own direction.

I think a recent change in my mods is that I used to define an ore in plates, if it existed or not. I changed this to only define the ore in plates if it doesn't already exist(since ores created it). Since the load order will be Bobores -> DyTech -> Bobplates, the result is that I define the ores, then DyTech re-defines the ore, using his icons, then I check to see if they exist, and they already do, so you're stuck with DyTech's ore icons instead of mine. They'll work just the same either way, but... yeah. There's not a lot I can do except revert to defining the ore either way.
That makes sense. A config option to force load your ores would work for me. I like your ore icons better anyways :)

Return to “Bob's mods”